Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at a 2004 mazda3 gx. No power windows or mirrors, but it does have the stereo controls on the wheel. I could care less about power windows and mirrors. what are you're thoughts about this base model of the 3?

·
Registered
127 Posts
That's just less stuff to go wrong! I guess I try to look on the more positive side of things. I had a Lincoln that had all the bells and whistles, but that thing was a giant PITA to keep all the little things working properly. After that, this Mazda is much less of a headache.
What motor? I suppose it doesn't matter, as long as it was taken care of. I've said it before about these cars, take care of them, and they'll take care of you.

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
My thoughts... you will decide that you want the 2.3L after a year. Just buy the right car the first time ;)
Had two friends in the exact same position, one upgraded to a 2.3, one got a speed lol. Personally I went from a 2004 GT to the speed.
Then again, if the price is right and you're on a tight budget, could work...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm going to check it out on friday. A tight budget is exactly what i'm on. As a first car, im not looking for the fastest 3. I think the 2.0L would be better for be due to it not guzzling gas as much. we'll see! if I do end up getting it, the first thing I wanna do is replace those hideous red tail lights and see about the clear ones.

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
i'm going to check it out on friday. A tight budget is exactly what i'm on. As a first car, im not looking for the fastest 3. I think the 2.0L would be better for be due to it not guzzling gas as much. we'll see! if I do end up getting it, the first thing I wanna do is replace those hideous red tail lights and see about the clear ones.
Yeah see my thinking is you're going to try and make it like the more expensive one and it may end up costing you the same amount. Smaller engine is better on gas UNLESS you're driving it hard ;)

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
On the upside, a roller window door slammer with a 2.0 would make one Hell of an autocross/momentum car being the lightest stock configuration for a 3. The power to weight ratio is pretty close between a 2.0 sedan and a 2.3 hatch, so he's not really giving up much on that end. The 2.3 does have more torque, but the 2.0 gets an extra 500 rpm which'll help stretch out 2nd gear and keep him from having to shift to 3rd while dodging cones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts