Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am tired of looking a the nasty stock color (more of a brake dust/dirt color) calipers. I have a Sunlight Silver 3 sedan... so I am thinking Red, black, if I could find titanium Grey or bronze... your opinions and pics are welcome...
My question is how well does the brake dust wash off of them once you paint them? My work has a gravel drive and my 3 loves to make brake dust.. so they are going to get dirty between washes.. I just dont want these beautiful red or whatever calipers to look crappy after the first drive. If thats the case I am better off with black and then I could put on a decal (where is a good place to get those?)...any help is greatly appreciated! :cheers:

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
The calipers will be much easier to clean once they are painted. Caliper paint is often a ceramic, heat resistant paint that leaves a smooth, glossy finish instead of the rough, somewhat porous surface of the stock caliper.

·
Registered
601 Posts
to cut down on brake dust you can also change out your pads for ceramics or ceramic blends. I've had almost no dust since I changed mine a couple weeks ago, and stopping power has increased as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You can get the decals at http://www.xenonmods.com/
I painted mine black with white decals and then high temp clear coat on top. I used G2 caliper paint, it's epoxy paint and I've been rather pleased with it.
The G2 paint comes in all the colours you mentioned. If you want it to stand out, go for red or bronze. If you want it to be somewhat more subtle go for black. I wouldn't do grey, looks too stock.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Is xenonmods.com selling mazda decals again? They were removed from their site while they were in discussion with Ford in regards to selling decals with the Mazda name/logo.

·
Registered
885 Posts
i did mine in red if i could go back and do it over again i would have done them in black, the red looks cool but it chips easy

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
good to hear they are able to sell those again.

if i could do it over i would have chose black with white letters instead of red with white letters.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
[quote author=dabears2k link=topic=134219.msg2886170#msg2886170 date=1232747078]
remember, we are blowing out the G2 kits :)

And yes, xenonmods is selling again
[/quote]

send me a pm with pricing for the kits. may be interested in one!!!

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
[quote author=travicon link=topic=134219.msg2895240#msg2895240 date=1233122523]
[quote author=dabears2k link=topic=134219.msg2886170#msg2886170 date=1232747078]
remember, we are blowing out the G2 kits :)

And yes, xenonmods is selling again
[/quote]

send me a pm with pricing for the kits. may be interested in one!!!
[/quote]

they are on our site and we no longer use PM's

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I own a sunlight silver as well and I went with painting my calipers black.
I've only had to touch them up when I was working on my brakes, but either than that its been great! Personally I'm not looking for flashiness on my car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question - I just got my G2 paint kit. It claims for best results you need to do this process between 56 and 70 degree in order for the resin to keep from curing to quickly. But I gotta do this outside and temps here are over 80 every day. Sometimes 90-100 during the day. Is this gonna be a problem? anyone else use the G2 paint and run into this dilemma?

·
Registered
461 Posts
i got my stuff from Autozone...1 can of 900F high gloss red caliper spray paint...1 can of brake parts Cleaner high pressure spray...some news paper....a roll of masking tape...a couple of rags...some fine grit sandpaper(to sand off any rust)...after getting your car up on 4 jack stands and about 4 hours later, you have some nice painted cailpers...im letting mine sit for about 36 hours before driving

·
Registered
461 Posts

i got a little paint on one brake line which i cleaned right away...and i got a little on 2 rotors which i'm replacing with slotted in a few weeks

·
Registered
663 Posts
You should have masked off the outer hole in the housing to protect the piston and dust boot. That paint may cause them to dry/crack and allow contaminants into your caliper. I'd keep an eye on that.

·
Registered
461 Posts
[quote author=thebrakeman link=topic=134219.msg3215063#msg3215063 date=1246998107]
You should have masked off the outer hole in the housing to protect the piston and dust boot. That paint may cause them to dry/crack and allow contaminants into your caliper. I'd keep an eye on that.
[/quote]

possibly but i'm not too worried about that

1 - 20 of 36 Posts