Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where the hell is the oil filter? I got my 1st change done at a local place since the dealership was being a pain in my ass:

-no saturday appt's till mid-april
-car has to be in by 1pm on weekdays (hello - people work!)
-refused to give me a loaner if i brought it in and left it in the morning

anywho, basically i just wanna be able to check & make sure they actually changed the filter & whatnot but i cant see it & i was wondering if someone could lend this noob a hand - thanks!

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
The filter is under the splash shield. It's a cartridge so you cannot check to see if it was changed without first changing your oil.

You'll have to do the oil changes yourself or trust that it's done properly.

I voted awhile ago to do it myself.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
most of our cars use a cartridge type filter (rather than a screw on type) which makes it harder to tell, without going to the trouble of removing it. even the screw on types are often wiped off to appear new (by unscrupulous shops).

imho, stay away from jiffylube type places (notorious for fraud) unless you know somebody that works there...otherwise independent places typically can be trusted (reply on repeat business). dealerships should be able to schedule you for a set time, and get you out of there in an hour (if you can do it at lunch) although mine has never had the car ready when promised.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd consider converting to a spin-on filter if you are concerned about this sort of thing. I know people who've been screwed out of a new filter by a certain disreputable local outfit. For that matter, they might not have bothered to actually change the oil... :shock:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hello he has a 3i Touring...says it right there.

Larry you don't have a cartridge filter. You have the normal spin-on type. Its on the bottom front of the engine, mounted upside down. To gain access you have to remove the plastic splash shield (7 bolts). Once you do this its very accessible. Check out the DIY's in the maintenance forum.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
[quote author=stranger706 link=topic=139108.msg2997870#msg2997870 date=1237233667]
Hello he has a 3i Touring...says it right there.
[/quote]

Oops! :)

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
[quote author=stranger706 link=topic=139108.msg2997904#msg2997904 date=1237234302]
Get some coffee people! :sleep:
[/quote]

LOL, actually, after typing that I went and made an americano.

I should do the 2.0 conversion. I was changing my oil on Saturday and I hate how it basically throws up on your hands when you're removing the cartridge.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=139108.msg2997910#msg2997910 date=1237234444]
[quote author=stranger706 link=topic=139108.msg2997904#msg2997904 date=1237234302]
[/quote]

I should do the 2.0 conversion. I was changing my oil on Saturday and I hate how it basically throws up on your hands when you're removing the cartridge.
[/quote]

hahaha IKR!

why are they different? whats the point of having it different between the models?

·
Registered
253 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=139108.msg2997910#msg2997910 date=1237234444]
[/quote]

[/quote]

My conversion kit is on the way!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=139108.msg2997910#msg2997910 date=1237234444]I should do the 2.0 conversion. I was changing my oil on Saturday and I hate how it basically throws up on your hands when you're removing the cartridge.
[/quote]

What I do is, use my socket wrench to loosen the cap, but not remove it completely. Then I unscrew it the rest of the way by hand, but continue to push up on it. When it''s fully unscrewed (you can tell by feel), hold on to the cap with one hand and in one motion pull the cap down and tip it into the drain pan (I just use a 16 quart Rubbermaid bin, had two of those Blitz drain pans leak on me). Most of the leftover oil seems to not end up on my hand that way.

Latex gloves help too. :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the info guys...now about this splash shield, does it need to be removed for them to do the oil/filter? i am almost 100% positive they didnt take it off b/c it was a local place but they use that setup where the guy is underground & pulls the bolt etc, i didnt see any shield come off the car & i was standing right there

also, when i looked inside the car afterwards i noticed some liquid pooled on what i assume to be that splash shield, but it had rained that day so i wasn't 100% sure what it was...could it be oil & should i get it looked at? i've since checked the oil 3 or 4 times & it's still full & clean so i know they changed it but im worried that maybe the work wasn't done properly & i dont want oil sitting down there corroding the shield.

thanks for helping the slow one here :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote author=danielj link=topic=139108.msg2999820#msg2999820 date=1237309725]
I don't know how they would drain the oil w/out removing the splash shield.
[/quote]

me either & thats why im concerned - i'm going to take another look tonight & if it still looks wet down there i'll have my cousin who's a mechanic take a look at it for me - if there's oil just sitting down there i'm going down there & tearing these idiots a new one

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
[/quote]

I don't have to remove any splash shield to drain my oil. All I did was pop the plug. when it came to the oil filter, I just used an Allen wrench to take that bolt out, let it drain a little, then pop my oil filter wrench on and unscrewed the whole assembly and let it drain

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
[quote author=krazyk86cu link=topic=139108.msg3004349#msg3004349 date=1237479235]
[/quote]

I don't have to remove any splash shield to drain my oil. All I did was pop the plug. when it came to the oil filter, I just used an Allen wrench to take that bolt out, let it drain a little, then pop my oil filter wrench on and unscrewed the whole assembly and let it drain
[/quote]

Then your splash shield is missing or your 04 didn't come with one. It's impossible to access the plug and filter with the splash shield in place on my car (and the other years that I've been under).

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Oil drain plug is accesible without removing splash shield.

Filter (and filter drain plug) is not.

·
Registered
778 Posts
i hate changing the oil because the splash shield is just a hassle to remove. it does serve a purpose in protecting the one spinning belt from rocks and such.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts