Mazda3 Forums banner

Should I take the 3 back?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have read my other post regarding how many Mazda 3 cars have been stolen,you'll know what I'm talking about. I posted just a few of the gripes I had with the dealership.
I have now had the car for almost a month.
I took out the paperwork this evening,and noticed that

a)the price we signed on was MORE than the price quoted on the mazda brochure I was originally given when I walked into the dealership. The brochure states what you get with everything. The difference is only $10,but if everyone else is paying $10 less,then......

b)we were told my model has ABS. The brochure says it does not. We got the GS 4AT with power package & air conditioning. That would make TWO things that we were told the car came with that did not show up : an alarm AND abs.

c)It looks like for only $395 more, I could get the sport package-which I'm most interested in for the sunroof,but it also has ABS.

So,with all the gripes I've had with the dealership(and one or two minor gripes about the car),I'm thinking of calling a manager there and telling him all about this,and that I want the moonroof. In addition,that I was told I was getting ABS and an alarm,and voila they are not in the car. What should I ask for? I'd rather not go through the whole buying process again. I know I will get another Mazda 3 with all the features if he does take it back,but I would not like to get it from this dealership unless absolutely necessary. My dad is telling me I'm going nuts over this car,but I don't think so. They have screwed us over in more ways than I imagined. First they changed the price on us by almost $100 between the evening we first signed the preliminary agreement and the next afternoon that we came to sign the rest of the papers. Next we found that there is no alarm as promised,and now no ABS according to the brochure. The salespeople were initially rude,and their after-sale customer service has been poor at best. Not at all appreciative or interested when I call to ask a question or whatnot.

Any ideas? PLMK what you think. I know it has been a month like I said before,but these things are selling like hotcakes,so this car would likely be off the lot again in < 2 weeks. Besides which,look at all the crap we have had to put up with!!! That isn't stress-free car buying,the way Sig. Mazda promises. Cripes!!!!! Don't get me wrong,I love the car,but this is BS.

· Registered
45 Posts
I'd think it would be tough to get them to take it back...why would they take a used car and give you a new one? As far as ABS and alarm, those are things you need to check out before taking delivery and signing on the line.

· Registered
888 Posts
You had your father there and still got riped off? What does your old man do for a living because buying a car should have been a basic skill that anybody with a college education would have.

The dealer was doing their job, which is to maximize their profits. It is your job as a consumer to make sure that they don't take you for a sucker. Good luck taking the car back. What? You going to ask for a refund? LOL

ish2l is right, you got to read every single piece of paper you sign. Even if you are only looking to make sure they typed your name/address right on the contract.

· Registered
420 Posts
You want a dealer to take back a used car for your inability to read a window sticker and not having balls to say something about them jacking the price $100 on you? :roll: I agree with Dad, you are nuts.

· Registered
948 Posts
It's inconceivable to me how someone who wants particular features could buy a car not knowing what equipment it comes with. Nothing is set in stone until you sign on the dotted line. When you do sign, you better make sure everything is in order.

· Registered
8,865 Posts
I think if you tried to take it back - they'd gladly take it back - but I doubt you will receive any money from them.

As for cars being stolen - this really isn't a design flaw so much as a risk you have to take when you buy a car. For example, Accords and Camrys are stolen in huge quanitites - but people consider them conservative and under-stated cars that most thieves wouldn't want. Buyers should realize that thieves prey on how easy it is to profit from a stolen vehicle.

Most vehicles in the Entry-Level-Sedan class have similar theft deterrent features (passive alarms, "chipped" keys, horizontally mounted door lock mechanisms). Unless you find the exterior lever labeled "thieves pull here to start car and boost away" you shouldn't consider the "stealability" of the car as a negative factor.

· Registered
1,600 Posts
i agree that you should have done a full inspection before you took the car. and what is this "brochure" just the regular 3 brochure, or the window sticker? if it's the brochure, that's no guarantee that the car you get has those features. if it's the window sticker, then you have some kind of backing because the must have what's on the sticker.

· Registered
45 Posts
You are not going to be able to give it back. Sorry to tell you this, but once you take that car off the lot it's about the worth of a used car. If you car has a cooling off period you may have been able to return it in 72hrs, but I take it's been longer then that. That's why you have to READ everything a dealership puts in front of you and ask stupid questions.

The easiest way to buy a car is online. No salesman and you can get the car for allot less. Here in Vegas the Dealer is asking 16235 for a new 3i with just a manual trans and AC. I got the car for 2000 below INVOICE from just shopping online first. I asked every dealership in my area how much they wanted for it through e-mail. That's part of the reason I bought a 3. After taxes and fees I had a car that I could sell for a profit if I wanted.

· Registered
13,365 Posts
Especially after a month - a day or two, yeah maybe you could do it - one guy on 6club accidentally signed for a 6i when he intended on getting a 6s, but he realized it within like 24 hours or so and the dealership was willing to take it back.

AFter a month? You're screwed.

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll be posting here. You guys can call me an idiot all you want.
The problem was that BOTH salespeople were DECEPTIVE. They told us the car had an alarm AND abs. FYI,there was no window sticker. This car was at the back of the dealership,out of view of anyone,because they did not have the model we wanted out front.

If I decide to try to take it back,and they won't do it,Mazda will be hearing from me. The way they've done business is disgusting.

One last thing-insult me all you like,but leave my dad out of this.

· Registered
2,619 Posts
the dealers are deceptive yes, but it could have been their error on their behalf. He probably didn't know that it doesn't have ABS simply because he doesn't even know anything about the car.

when I purchased my 3. I knew more then what my dealer knows about the car. Right now, I still know more about the 3 because of research. I go in and ask them about CEL and the break grooves, they simply replied with, "really? that's news to me".

You don't go blindly into a dealership and except to learn everything about a car there. Take it as a lesson instead of blaming it on the dealer. It's partly your fault as well.

· Registered
420 Posts
cozmo said:
If I decide to try to take it back,and they won't do it,Mazda will be hearing from me. The way they've done business is disgusting.
Oh, man, I wish I could be there at each instance of rejection and humiliation, camcorder in hand. America's Funniest Home Videos, here I come! :lol:

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Let me try and put this into my perspective for you. From my perspective,these people are highway crooks. I understand they want to make money and sell cars,but deceiving people several times in one transaction is not the way to do it. Maybe one of those was an honest mistake-I'll give them that. On the other hand,maybe they would say anything to sell their cars.

BMM3-very funny. Guess that wonky sense of humor is why you're in TN ;)

· Registered
45 Posts
I understand your frustration but at this point it is too late to do anything about it....just consider it a lesson learned, move on and enjoy your 3, otherwise you'll just bring on yourself more unnecessary frustration and headaches.

· Registered
652 Posts
ish2l said:
I understand your frustration but at this point it is too late to do anything about it....just consider it a lesson learned, move on and enjoy your 3, otherwise you'll just bring on yourself more unnecessary frustration and headaches.
Ish2l is definitely right.
BTW, it sure sucks that you got screwed by the dealers... :roll: I dislike deceptive car dealers!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.