Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Well first off I'm not sure which brand to go with...are the GTX off Ebay okay or is there a better one to go with.
2. How was the install
3. What is the biggest problem so far
4. Do's and Dont's with the install
5. How many people have had to reopen their headlights to fix or modify the halo's

I'm just trying to find out if this modification is worth the hassle of taking the front of the car apart to install them. I mean I love the look and all but sometimes...ya know...Anyway, let me know what you have and if you can answer any of the above...go for it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
DO:
- Take your time
-Bake your lights to open them.
-Use clear silicone to hold the rings in place, throw away the 3m tape.
-Make sure there are no smudges inside your headlight housing. It would suck ass if you put it together and found a chunk of silicone or a thumbprint inside your housing. Doublecheck it 3 times.
- Bake your lights again to seal them. You can use silicone if you want, I used it on one and not on the other. (ran out). No problems with leaks.
-Fuse the power wire for the lights., You should know this.

DONT:
-Not follow any of the rules here.
-Do anything stupid. :D

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I've had my original Xtec thinlines for over 1.5 yrs and they've never posed a problem whatsoever.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the head light cover is siliconed into the head light bezel. I used to work for a plastic injection molding company and we made head light covers and bezels for North American Lighting who then builds them the rest of the way and distributes to the manufacturing plants. I don't I ever seen a set that were just siliconed...some of them had the tabs inserted into the clips and then hot welded to eachother. So I take this is not the case in our headlights...if so that's great! :D So what was the purpose of baking them to soften up the silicone glue? Is there a brand that I should stay away from? I see AutoXer uses the Xtec...what was the cost of these and what made you choose them. Sorry guys for the questions...I'm a very mechanical guy but I've learned along the way to ask questions if you have them. So just want to make sure I understand what all is involved and some issues that may arise before I make my purchase.
Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Correct, the lens is siliconed to the assembly, bake it to soften it up and then just slowly pull apart.

The Xtec DDE kits run $120 and $160 and are available through Oliver at XenonExpert. I was the test car for Xtec back when they first came out, so they kinda choose me :) Although like i said, i have never had any problems at all with them since installed, so i feel confident in recommending them.

I agree the install is a PITA, but the end result looks so badass it's worth every effort.

edit: There is also a kit available from Devin at TheXenonStore

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote author=AutoXer link=topic=66388.msg1138717#msg1138717 date=1168274406]
Correct, the lens is siliconed to the assembly, bake it to soften it up and then just slowly pull apart.

The Xtec DDE kits run $120 and $160 and are available through Oliver at XenonExpert. I was the test car for Xtec back when they first came out, so they kinda choose me :) Although like i said, i have never had any problems at all with them since installed, so i feel confident in recommending them.

I agree the install is a PITA, but the end result looks so badass it's worth every effort.

edit: There is also a kit available from Devin at TheXenonStore

[/quote]

Thanks for the input. I really do like the look and this maybe something I do once we get some more consistant warm weather. I have a 2 stall garage but it's like most peoples LMAO a storage unit for junk. Something else I need to work on which it's mostly cleaned out but to many christmas present boxes that I need to burn or recycle. Anyway, thanks again.

·
Registered
847 Posts
the epoxy adhesivwe works well sticking the DDE to headlights,

don't use paper towel to clean will scratch it , use a acohol swipe, to remove access glue or clean

I purchase both from the xenonexpert and devi at thexenonstore
olivers comes with a harness

eurodesign sells them too

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked for the THUMBS UP smiley but we don't have one yet. Keep the tips coming the more and more I read up on the more I'll want to do the mod. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[quote author=icspots link=topic=66388.msg1139020#msg1139020 date=1168285975]
[quote author=MCRacing524 link=topic=66388.msg1138928#msg1138928 date=1168282520]
I looked for the THUMBS UP smiley but we don't have one yet. Keep the tips coming the more and more I read up on the more I'll want to do the mod. :)
[/quote]

:goodjob:

You mean that one. :D
[/quote]

Yeah where did that come from? :yay: All I had to do was pay closer attention to the [more] part next to the smiley's

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
[quote author=MCRacing524 link=topic=66388.msg1138619#msg1138619 date=1168269612]
1. Well first off I'm not sure which brand to go with...are the GTX off Ebay okay or is there a better one to go with.
2. How was the install
5. How many people have had to reopen their headlights to fix or modify the halo's

I'm just trying to find out if this modification is worth the hassle of taking the front of the car apart to install them. I mean I love the look and all but sometimes...ya know...Anyway, let me know what you have and if you can answer any of the above...go for it.

Thanks.
[/quote]

1. go with a sponsor
2.install was a biatch, took 8 hours. though i think i could do it in 4 or 6 now
3. biggest problem is condensation. had it in 1 light at first, then fixed it, and now i have it in the other light of course.
4.do's: use an oven, reheat when sealing, have a partner.
dont's: use a heat gun, break the tabs that hold the plastic rings inside the assembly, dont use a heat gun!!!!
5. i am 1 of many who has had to reopen to deal with an issue

although i have had probs with mine, i would still do it again if i had to go back and choose!

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
[quote author=trbab032886 link=topic=66388.msg1140842#msg1140842 date=1168368955]
[quote author=MCRacing524 link=topic=66388.msg1138619#msg1138619 date=1168269612]
2. How was the install

Thanks.
[/quote]

1. go with a sponsor
2.install was a biatch, took 8 hours. though i think i could do it in 4 or 6 now
3. biggest problem is condensation. had it in 1 light at first, then fixed it, and now i have it in the other light of course.
4.do's: use an oven, reheat when sealing, have a partner.
dont's: use a heat gun, break the tabs that hold the plastic rings inside the assembly, dont use a heat gun!!!!
5. i am 1 of many who has had to reopen to deal with an issue

although i have had probs with mine, i would still do it again if i had to go back and choose!
[/quote]

+1 to all of that

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Also factor in the wait time too...time it takes to bake the lights (usually 1 at a time as they are pretty big) and the dry time for the silicone/glue mounting the halos...then re-bake time to re-seal...all that adds up to a good amount of down time just waiting.

·
Registered
870 Posts
My .02

DON'T rush the baking job by increasing the baking temperature...follow the directions from the retailer you buy from. Use a cookie sheet. You will need a friend to help with prying the housing open after baking...makes it much easier.

When putting back together I recommend cramming it with clear silicone sealant as well as putting back in the oven to resoften the glue. I made the mistake of just using the existing glue to reseal and have had to reseal it twice.

From my experience, the best results were using the 3M tape along with clear silicone - use the tape very sparingly, but keeps the DDE from moving while the silicone sets. Allow it to set overnight for maximum hold before reinstalling.

Do NOT go through a car wash for a day after installing. Let the sealant get to maximum effectiveness before submitting to hot water and humidity...I made this mistake by getting my car all shined up about 4 hours after I finished the install. Didn't have fogging issues but it might have softened up my seal which lead to fogging issues later.

Hope this helps - by the way, it is TOTALLY worth it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts