Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I would like to get into taking some badass pictures so I have been looking around and seems that alot of people are fond of the Nikon D40x. I have seen some shots that people have taken and they look very good. Probably would be taking pictures mainly of scenery, cars, people, etc. Would also like to have a nice macro lense to take really close up pictures of things. The only other camera I have right now is a Casio Exilim so there will definitely be a learning curve just from playing with it at Best Buy. I will be a photography noob and would probably be looking into taking some classes that are offered around here. I know the D40 is cheaper, but usually if you start off cheaper you end up wanting something better from my experience so I figure just start off with the D40x.. Any suggestions? Do you know if there are any cheaper cameras for noobs that are comparable (i dont want a no-name POS either haha)? If you have a D40x please share your experience and maybe even some shots that you think are your best from the camera.

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
D40 will be easy to learn no classes need, just hop online and spend 5 minutes reading about DOF and Exposure and you'll be good to go :)

<---Professional Wedding Photographer (And concerts but I hardly get to do those) Learned everything I know about photography online and from talking to other professionals. (I still have a long way to go before I consider myself good though)

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of taking the classes more along the lines to learn different angles, lighting, etc... I'll look up some stuff online too

·
Registered
739 Posts
[quote author=m3marshall link=topic=83395.msg1561789#msg1561789 date=1184626437]
If you are stuck on getting a nikon, I would get a D80. Otherwise, I would suggest a Canon Rebel XTI.
[/quote]

those are good recommendations. i just sold my Sony DSC-N1 today to get a Canon Rebel XTI

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
ive been looking into a entry level DSLR also, i have come to the conclusion that i will get the D40 after i get a new computer, replace the dampers on my 3, and maybe get new sway bars (so it will probably be around the holidays). to me the D40x isn't worth the increase in cost, i dont plan on doing any large print with the camera so the increase on MP's serves no benefit to me, and from what ive read, there is really no other worth while feature added other than MP's. i was looking at the kit that nikon has to offer with the 2 lenses. all the people i know at work that have the D40 like them a lot, it is a great camera for the cost.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
[quote author=j-easy link=topic=83395.msg1562275#msg1562275 date=1184633676]
get a d200
[/quote]

Na, the D80 has much better noise reduction than any camera on the market.

Click Here To See A Comparison Of The 3 Nikon's Discussed so far

If you click that link you will see that the D80 is pretty much the same camera as the D200, but it's lighter, and has better electronics in it for faster transfers to the card and better noise reduction, since the 200 is also more expensive ... it's just not a smart choice to take the 200 over the 80

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
negatory on the D80.. lol... WAY to expensive
XTI could be a contender, but I like the way the D40 looks, plus its like 100 bux more

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
[quote author=mario8402 link=topic=83395.msg1562642#msg1562642 date=1184639089]
XTI could be a contender, but I like the way the D40 looks, plus its like 100 bux more

[/quote]

My personal preference would be the Canon, but that's just me. But, if you're stuck on Nikon ... save the extra money and get the D80, it's worth the extra money. You're talking about a $350 difference for a much better camera that will take much better images. Out of curiosity, where are you looking to purchase from?

·
Registered
739 Posts
my recommendation came from my cousin & for my price range of $700-$800 he recommended the XTI. his name is Ricky Francisco & his a professional who was the still photographer for Platoon & Purple Hearts shot in the Philippines. says his been using Canon since '73 & that their currently the leader in DSLR's.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0290397/

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
[quote author=m3marshall link=topic=83395.msg1562463#msg1562463 date=1184635934]
[quote author=j-easy link=topic=83395.msg1562275#msg1562275 date=1184633676]
get a d200
[/quote]

Na, the D80 has much better noise reduction than any camera on the market.

Click Here To See A Comparison Of The 3 Nikon's Discussed so far

If you click that link you will see that the D80 is pretty much the same camera as the D200, but it's lighter, and has better electronics in it for faster transfers to the card and better noise reduction, since the 200 is also more expensive ... it's just not a smart choice to take the 200 over the 80
[/quote]

the 80 and the 200 both have the same image quality, but the 200 is made of metal rather than plastic, is weather resistant, it shoots faster, it has more buttons so you don't have to scroll through menus to change basic settings etc. yes same image quality, definitely different cameras. heres a detailed comparison http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80/vs-d200.htm

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[quote author=m3marshall link=topic=83395.msg1562678#msg1562678 date=1184639795]

[/quote]

My personal preference would be the Canon, but that's just me. But, if you're stuck on Nikon ... save the extra money and get the D80, it's worth the extra money. You're talking about a $350 difference for a much better camera that will take much better images. Out of curiosity, where are you looking to purchase from?
[/quote]

I am not partial to any brand at the moment, just seems like Nikon is synonymous(sp) with quality equipment/pictures. Was looking at buying at Best Buy or a camera shop in the mall or something.. I have seen some really tempting deals on ebay for new cameras with extra lenses, filters, cards, bags etc but I would be worried about getting it replaced in case something happened or getting it serviced (if thats even necessary)

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
[quote author=mario8402 link=topic=83395.msg1562726#msg1562726 date=1184640806]
[quote author=m3marshall link=topic=83395.msg1562678#msg1562678 date=1184639795]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am not partial to any brand at the moment, just seems like Nikon is synonymous(sp) with quality equipment/pictures. Was looking at buying at Best Buy or a camera shop in the mall or something.. I have seen some really tempting deals on ebay for new cameras with extra lenses, filters, cards, bags etc but I would be worried about getting it replaced in case something happened or getting it serviced (if thats even necessary)
[/quote]

at bestbuy and the camera shops you pay a premium. shop around online (not necessarily ebay)

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
[quote author=mario8402 link=topic=83395.msg1562726#msg1562726 date=1184640806]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

For starters ... don't do Ebay, go to www.bhphotovideo.com and buy from them, you'll get a better deal and you're assured a reputable transaction. A lot of those Ebay things are either cons, or they give you your stuff on bags and it gets all roughed up in shipping.

Secondly, if you aren't partial to a brand, go with Canon. The images are just as sharp, but the electronics are so much better than Nikon, Sony, Olympus, or Fuji.

·
Registered
38,019 Posts
Second the recommendation for the Rebel XTi. I shoot with nothing else :) Might want to consider a Canon 30D as an alternative. Like the D80 vs. the D40, it's more bang for your buck. Plus, the style is similar to canon's top-tier 5D and 1D that if you ever upgrade, it'll be more natural than going from 400D to 5D or 1D :)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
One thing I couldn't stand about the D40 vs the Rebel is the fact that the Rebel has all it's settings pretty much on the outside of the camera, vs digging through menu after menu after menu on the D40. Nikon keeps hyping the D40 as being easier to use than their competition, I feel this is not true. For my money, I'd get the Canon.

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
Definitely dont buy from Ebay. B&H is probably the best online shop to buy photo gear from because you know you are getting top quality first run equipment and not refurbs marked as new.

The XTI is a nice camera, I have a standard XT and love it, I prefer my D series Canons over it just because of size, but the XT makes a nice First camera.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i would say go with the D80. i recently bought the D40x, and although i love this camera because of its ease of use, its only MAJOR draw back i can think of for someone new to the hobby is the range of lenses available to you. with the D40x you are only limited to AF-S lenses because there is no focus motor built into the body of the camera, and unfortunately there are not many available at this time compared to the AF lenses. this is of course you dont mind using manual focus the entire time. here are some shots i got.

·
Registered
38,019 Posts
Wait, you have lenses you can't use on some cameras? That's some bullshit right there.... we've only got a couple of lenses like that, and that's only to do with crop ratios...for example the ef-s 10-22 and ef-s 60 lenses are only usable on the xxxD and xxD models, but all lenses--ef or ef-s--are usable on xxxD and xxD series. However, the 10-22 is designed to show on a 1.6x crop what a 16-35mm range looks like on a full frame--and we have a wonderful 16-35mm L lens to make up for that on our full frame cams.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts