Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have been looking at MS3's for awhile and i love them, There is one around here that is amazing. I have a few questions.
Please Don't flame im still a Noob at this.

What would be a good point to build the engine? (HP Wise)
I want it as a DD but im looking to run low 13's
As far as Insurance goes, would it be cheaper than a 03 evo to insure for a 18 year old?
If i build an engine is it possible to break 500hp? Or is tuning lacking for the MS3?

·
Registered
210 Posts
300whp is a good point to stop if you want a reliable DD (full bolt+tune)
with good launches you could probably hit low 13s w this in most altitudes.. with slicks 12s
Yes, much cheaper, WRX/EVO have a stigma attached to em, making insurance sky high, especially for younger drivers
no you can't go much over mid 300s without a full rebuild (unless you want to play the stakes and hope your shit doesnt explode), and even then high 300s is the cap right now reliably on the speed3 with a big turbo (please exclude bogus dynos we all know are fake)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i figured they would be alot cheaper.
I need something like a hatch because im in a band and I need room which an evo wont cut.

Thanks for the advice. I figue 300 WHP is good enough. Later on if i decide to build i will.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
evidence pretty much hit it right on the spot

you can def hit 300whp/320wqt and low 13s without going big turbo or engine build....that should be enough for most people...

if you want more, you might want to consider an srt-4...haha...not tryin to hate on the ms3 or anything...but our engines aren't the strongest either...our cars are designed for complete balance....engine, handling, styling, versatility, etc

·
Registered
71 Posts
I never understood the obsession regarding an FF and the 1/4 mile, it's wrong wheel drive! As someone mentioned, the car is made with balance in mind, including being a reliable DD. Have you driven the MS3, yet? You may decide that 263HP is plenty at the moment.

500HP in this car just doesn't make sense. To do so, you would void the warranty and make the car unreliable as a DD. If you're serious about eventually building out, I'd say look at another car. The MS3 is an excellent value stock and a great option if you want a lot of fun for cheap and want to stay under warranty. Instead of spending money on building out a car that is under warranty, I'd put that money towards a fund for a car that starts off with more power and AWD/RWD.

I'm probably in the minority here, but whatever :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
my insurance for my ms3 is about 56 usd , with perfect driving record.. never been into accident, but have occasionally people bump into me , im 27 btw though.

as for dd, u wont regret it, ive been using ms3 since march 07 , it got 36k miles now, i also bought extended warranty for 1500usd

bought my car new with 0 miles in it for 22895 usd,and believe me, im a pain in the ass when i went to the dealership, the price at that time is not negotiable but i do get 3000 for my 1996 volvo 850( has 140k miles in it) and low apr

if u do want to buy ms3, get the car as low as possible , and always ask for free stuff.. free aluminum gas cap? or free coupon for oil change, or free extended warranty, roof spoiler , rear bumper guard etc...
and dont act like you reallly like the car, also compare prices if you can and most dealer will try to match it , better yet discount

·
Registered
368 Posts
By the time your done spending the $$$ getting your MS3 to 500 horses you might as well get a Mustang Cobra or a Vette... You'd have to spend about the same to achieve what those cars have out of the box.
:lol:

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=lucky sevens link=topic=136320.msg3003641#msg3003641 date=1237441308]
By the time your done spending the $$$ getting your MS3 to 500 horses you might as well get a Mustang Cobra or a Vette... You'd have to spend about the same to achieve what those cars have out of the box.
:lol:
[/quote]

Unless they don't want to be in a car that shouts "I've got 500hp".

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=lucky sevens link=topic=136320.msg3005819#msg3005819 date=1237522030]
People that want 500 horses want to be noticed... no matter what car your driving.
[/quote]

I guess the term "sleeper" means nothing to you. When you're a little older, you'll understand.

·
Registered
35 Posts
500 hp in a FWD is stupidity. 400whp is PLENTY, especially for an 18 year old. Know your limits. I had a 2001 camaro ss with 430rwhp. It was plenty. Usable power tops off at 400 whp in a FWD car. You can have more but have fun with 11 second time slips and a low 10 second mph.

Shoot for ~300whp reliably and be happy with it until you have a career to build up a proper car. Also, don't rule out the cobalt. Tune alone picks up 30hp/40tq. With just the tune most guys are around 300 whp.

·
Registered
368 Posts
[quote author=Ryz link=topic=136320.msg3005863#msg3005863 date=1237523906]
[quote author=lucky sevens link=topic=136320.msg3005819#msg3005819 date=1237522030]
People that want 500 horses want to be noticed... no matter what car your driving.
[/quote]

I guess the term "sleeper" means nothing to you. When you're a little older, you'll understand.
[/quote]Older, 1955 mean anything... do the math, I'm old enough. Don't assume I'm some kid, you don't know me. Your like the voice of doom on here...nothing but negative comments. You need to smile maybe laugh once in a while. it'll be good for you... :lol:

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=lucky sevens link=topic=136320.msg3006382#msg3006382 date=1237562612] I'm old enough. [/quote]

Sorry lack of basic logic on your part had me thinking you were younger. This applies to multiple threads where you seem unable to relate something stated on page 2 to something on page 3. Guess you're to old and on the way down. Sorry again.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Your a piece of work, feel better now trying to put someone down to try to build yourself up. Must be horrible waking up and seeing yourself in the mirror everyday...

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=lucky sevens link=topic=136320.msg3006658#msg3006658 date=1237568792]Must be horrible waking up and seeing yourself in the mirror everyday...
[/quote]

Only if I was old and dumb like you instead of just old.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Why is Ryz always making it personal attacking everyone :)

Anyway yea I agree 400 is plenty in any fwd, unless your just on some type of mission. The power would be tough to take advantage in normal city driving. There really isn't any potential right now to get near that in the 2.3 DISI yet either, too many things are maxed out once you get above around 350. Hopefully all those issues get a good ribbing from DCR.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts