Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering if I should have bought a 2008 GTI instead of a 2008.5 MS3 GT. I need reinforcement about the pros and cons. I love the MS3--it's raw power, brakes, and overall performance, but also like the refinement of the GTI--lower windspeed and smooth suspension. Anybody have a similar dilemma? Help put this problem to bed! Thanks!

·
Registered
887 Posts
ms3=
more original
better looking inside and out (i almost bought a gti, but the interior of the 3 sold me)
faster
more aggressive
better forum

what else do you want!

in all honesty the GTI has a more "upscale" interior at first glance.. but after sitting in my friends gli a few times.. i quickly changed my mind and think the 3's interior is ALOT nicer. also, vw's interiors have this rubber material that quickly starts melting (its inevitible... even my dads touareq had the melting) and they give electrical problems =P hows that?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was actually thinking about this last week. I test drove the 2008 gti and the 2008 ms3. I obviously ended up with the ms3, but have been wondering about the same things you expressed. Then tuesday night, a 2008 gti pulled up next to me in a parking lot, he recognized that i had an ms3 and asked if i would put my car to the test against his (which was fairly modified: exhaust, intake, headers, larger tires/wheels, and modchip). 0-60 we were about the same, but after 65mph i slowly pulled away and at around 100 was at least 3 car lengths ahead. I then drove home smiling to myself thinking about what a great decision i made buying the ms3 instead of the gti.

Soo to answer your question... find a kid in a gti and give it a little gas. after blowing him away im sure youll no longer have any doubts :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
[quote author=KenOnBass link=topic=139883.msg3014970#msg3014970 date=1237938009]
I've been wondering if I should have bought a 2008 GTI instead of a 2008.5 MS3 GT. I need reinforcement about the pros and cons. I love the MS3--it's raw power, brakes, and overall performance, but also like the refinement of the GTI--lower windspeed and smooth suspension. Anybody have a similar dilemma? Help put this problem to bed! Thanks!
[/quote]

I shopped around and limited my choices to the GTi, MS3, WRX, and Si. Compared to the GTi, the MS3 GT has LED taillights, 18" wheels standard, Bose CD/MP3 Changer, more room, better interior (over the GTi's cloth seats), auto wipers/lights, and better performance numbers across the board. In short, it's more car for 25K than any of the others listed above.

Don't get me wrong; I love the GTi. But simply put, the MS3 is more value for the money.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had a GTI VR6 before my MS3. I loved driving that car but it was in the shop too many times for trivial stuff, like molding falling off, leaking, carpet had to be replaced, squeaks, etc. The build quality was terrible and the main reason I don't see myself buying another VW for some time until their quality reputation improves.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
the only thing similar between GTI and MS3 is that they are both 4 door hatch.
that's where the similarity ends...and pwn't begins.

·
Registered
518 Posts
yeah I like to stay far away from vw's....for reasons being my gas pedal works better and their relibaility is garbage.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If you're thinking about a GTI hold on to your MS3 for now and wait for the Golf R20 to come out. 2.0t AWD 270hp.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Don't listen to the meat heads who say the GTI sucks. I wished I purchased the GTI over the speed back in 07. The "speed" gets boring after a while, then you stuck with a harsh riding, shitty shifting, noisy and rattling, doesn't like the cold, sub-par car. Get the GTI/DSG - chip it and call it a day. Oh, goole the 2010 model - its really nice!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Brecker, I respectfully disagree. On your first 2 points: the shitty shifting is a result of the driver, not the car (I shift flawlessly), and the harsh ride is relative (harsh compared to what, and in what circumstances).
Now I do agree with the noisy rattling being a problem. The only remedy I found was to place a small piece of folded up paper under the trim around the stereo, problem solved.
Calling the ms3 sub-par is not a fair statement, especially when it beats not only the GTI, but also the R32 on so many categories, and both sell for more.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
[quote author=714ms3 link=topic=139883.msg3016061#msg3016061 date=1237987743]
Brecker, I respectfully disagree. On your first 2 points: the shitty shifting is a result of the driver, not the car (I shift flawlessly), and the harsh ride is relative (harsh compared to what, and in what circumstances).
Now I do agree with the noisy rattling being a problem. The only remedy I found was to place a small piece of folded up paper under the trim around the stereo, problem solved.
Calling the ms3 sub-par is not a fair statement, especially when it beats not only the GTI, but also the R32 on so many categories, and both sell for more.
[/quote]
The MS3 is faster - that's it!!! Get over it. The shifty is notchy, and a pain compared to most other 6-speeds AND the ride is not very forgiving compared to everything else in it's class

The GTI IS an all around nicer car. Put your too-fast-too-furious aside for a second. The R32 is a FAR nicer car than the MS3. Who really gives a shit it.s 0.3 seconds slower 0-60 sheeeeze. I do realize some peoples lives revolve around just how fast they can go - and I'm sorry to hear that. When people grow up, you start to appreciate other things as well. Stay tuned for a MS3 for sale in a few weeks..

·
Registered
429 Posts
[quote author=08CrystalWhite_SoCal_MS3 link=topic=139883.msg3015894#msg3015894 date=1237976313]
If you're thinking about a GTI hold on to your MS3 for now and wait for the Golf R20 to come out. 2.0t AWD 270hp.
[/quote]
+1 exactly what I was thinking!

·
Registered
247 Posts
[quote author=brecker link=topic=139883.msg3016094#msg3016094 date=1237988701]
The MS3 is faster - that's it!!! Get over it. The shifty is notchy, and a pain compared to most other 6-speeds AND the ride is not very forgiving compared to everything else in it's class

The GTI IS an all around nicer car. Put your too-fast-too-furious aside for a second. The R32 is a FAR nicer car than the MS3. Who really gives a shit it.s 0.3 seconds slower 0-60 sheeeeze. I do realize some peoples lives revolve around just how fast they can go - and I'm sorry to hear that. When people grow up, you start to appreciate other things as well. Stay tuned for a MS3 for sale in a few weeks..[/quote]

The R32 is a tubby GTI and the GTI itself has no LSD. They're poser cars, lacking any hint of a substance that the MS3 tries to attain. Viscous LSDs aren't exactly proper LSDs but they're a significant advantage over none.

If you want a boulevard pimp or something to hardpark with the GTI is big in those circles but for anything fun, its going to leave you wanting. It is simply not an engaging car if you ever lean on it while driving.

As far as the R20 goes, I'd be none too surprised to see it lack an LSD as well. So the point remains, it's a car for hardparking.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I drive my brothers Gti all the time and while its a nice car i feel more at home with the ms3. The shifting on the Gti feels floaty and way too smooth. And if you want to talk about problems the ms3 have you should the problems gti gets. We had to tow my brothers gti to a dealership because his car just stopped driving and wouldn't turn on, it was computer related.

·
Registered
568 Posts
[quote author=714ms3 link=topic=139883.msg3016061#msg3016061 date=1237987743]
[/quote]

I agree. Shift quality is comparable unless you are shifting quick under hard acceleration. Mazda uses slightly better interior materials than VW, unless you opt for the leather package @ 2200 more. It seems like rattling is a hit or miss with MS3's. The one I had was easily fixed by removing/reinstalling the trim panel above the radio.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[quote author=cde1218 link=topic=139883.msg3016135#msg3016135 date=1237989666]
[quote author=08CrystalWhite_SoCal_MS3 link=topic=139883.msg3015894#msg3015894 date=1237976313]
[/quote]
+1 exactly what I was thinking!
[/quote]

+2 but if it's still a two door, I'll probably have to pass.

·
Registered
688 Posts
After watching the interior peel away in my wife's Touareg, I would pass on VW's in the future. I'll put it this way, we traded her Touareg for my MS3, and I gave her my 2006 GMC Envoy, and the Envoy is a huge improvement in quality over the Touareg.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts