Mazda3 Forums banner

2421 - 2440 of 2463 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
[quote author=twistedelegance link=topic=34790.msg4148327#msg4148327 date=1321429758]
The fact that both side mirrors don't fold in...
[/quote]

Put some Muscle into it. I usually lift then push. WORKS EVERY TIME!

The only issue I had with the car and i'm at 69K is the Thermostat. I replaced it once at 65K. I still wish they add in an oil pressure gauge so you can keep an eye out on your oil. (I miss my rx7)

I dont like the direction of the rain water and crap being collected in the rear by the tail lights. Every other day after a rainy day i have to clean out the gook from back there.

Road noise is okay coming from a much sportier car. Everything else I'm dealing with. Rust is another issue, that will not be discussed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
2012 Mazda3 iTouring Sedan

I've only had my new Mazda for a few weeks. Overall, I'm quite pleased, but there are a few things that concern me:
  • Paint - I've found at least three rock chips now. After having hand washed and waxed my new car four times in three weeks, and driving very carefully. I feel like it would be good of Mazda to offer us a discounted Clear Bra (3M VentureShield) product, or money toward a complete paint job. Because at this rate, I'm going to need one entirely too soon.
  • Concerns about rust - Obviously my car is new, but if the fenders, quarter panels, or door wells rust through in under 5 years, given that I plan to hand wash and wax the car at least once a month, I'm going to be very disappoint.
  • Low (~1200) RPM "lurch" in 1st gear - I assume it's something to do with the partial throttle valve timing. At full throttle or higher rpm (as in an aggressive start), first gear is nice and smooth. At normal city traffic throttle and rpm, I experience a distinct loss of power just before I would normally shift to 2nd. I'm learning to "drive around" it, but I'd be a lot happier if the computer didn't click into econo mode just at that point. Or for that matter, in first gear at all.
The rest of these are relatively minor annoyances.
  • Water drainage - After every time I've washed the car, water has continued to drain down the side of the front door panels, apparently from a cavity in the side mirror assembly, for 30 minutes after I've completely dried the rest of the car. Without constant attention, this results in unsightly water spots down both front doors. I'm considering hand-drilling small holes in the plastic to see if I can encourage a better drainage pattern.
  • Dust accumulation - Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's because my Mazda is my brand new baby. Maybe it's something in the aerodynamics. Perhaps it's the paint color. But my car collects dust like you wouldn't believe. Particularly near the rear bumper ledge. 24 hours after a complete detailing, there's dust accumulation that's easy to see from 15 feet away.
  • Multi-Information System - The display could contain a lot more information. Obviously the computer knows my current speed (since it calculates the MPG and Range). But the MID won't display a current speed. Sure, it's right next to the gauge, but a digital speed display would be nice. Incidentally, it also doesn't display the tire pressures, oil pressures, or anything else. (though they must be monitored, since there's a light if they're not within tolerance).
    In short, the MID is underwhelming.
  • Gauges - While I appreciate that there's an oil light, it would be excellent to have an oil pressure gauge. In fact, I'd really like to have a full suite of gauges, as an option.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm not a fan of a couple of things, like the poster above, I have found a rock chip already. It isn't even on the forward facing section of the car, but on the side of the front fender!

Secondly, I'm not a fan at how slow my 6-speed seems to be breaking in. Much of the notchiness has disappeared, but more than I'd like still remains.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Ooh I didn't know this thread existed. It's about to be TROLLED.

-First off, though this is a general hate, POS parts that go out all the goddamn time cost too much. Go fuck yourself fomoco.
-Window trim cracks way too freaking easily which I've never seen on any other vehicle than Mazda's. Impossible to look that shit up either.
-The rear window visor is in the way for some reason, I in fact remove it from time to time and it's a much better view.
-Sun roof is a damn shame.
-Two pins on the Mazda emblem on the trunk. Son of a bitch.
-Door doesn't make a thunk noise like I would like. Don't know how to make that shit happen.
-While the gauge cluster is kinda cool, the yellow and green colors are intensely annoying.
-The clear coat is weak and so is the paint job.
-Constantly having to fix something and having to replace multiple parts to get the check engine light off.
-Mazda.
-Grey/tan interior. WTF.
-Trunk on the sedans is a joke.
-Bunch of other crap.

There is my list. So far. I know there are other things just couldn't think of them at the moment.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have a 2007. Lack of trunk release on the fob was not irritating at first. But now that 90%+ of the cars in the universe have a trunk release on the fob (including rental cars), I find it more and more grating.

re: the comments about paint chips, yeah, for the first year, it seemed new chips appeared with alarming frequency. Slowed down after year one (or at least it seems that way). I'm moving in on six years of ownership, the car still looks sweet freshly-washed.

I've heard the new Mazda 3 has no temperature gauge. Given the company has for years marketed the idea that they build "driver's cars" (or something like that), this seems odd. I've heard they have now have a blue light, that indicates the engine is cold, and therefore should not be revved hard ... but I'd miss having the temp gauge. In this age of dashboard monitoring of everything, it seems odd to reduce information, especially something as fundamental as the temp of the engine.

On the positive side, it seems like they've improved the speedo quite a bit. On my 2007, the speed markings go from zero to 140 mph in just over half a circle. You really have to look close to see the difference between 30 mph and 40 mph on the 2007 M3.

The oil dipstick, really, REALLY hard to read. And why do I have to shut the engine off and wait at least 30 minutes to get an accurate reading?

Finally, the hole in the engine shield giving access to the oil filter needs to be at least 1.5" larger in diameter. If they don't want to do that because it would increase dust/risk of a rock bouncing up, etc, how about a sliding panel?

·
Registered
41 Posts
('06 here)

+1 on needing to use the key to open the trunk of the sedan. Gotten lazy in my old age. (new wagon has a power liftgate... for the ultimate sloth!)

Two others.

One minor - no gauge illumination unless the headlights are on - under bright sun, it got really hard to read the gauge cluster.

One major - I hate that the two central front air vents should are right underneath a huge piece of black plastic that gets all of the sun coming through the windshield. They obviously never spent time in TX. Even with a sunshade, it still takes 5 minutes for the car to start producing cold air.

·
Registered
13 Posts
steering wheel button

the select track button on the steering wheel doesn't have a seek mode when I'm playing a CD. Annoying as hell. Also, rear doors dont have a cushion on the armrest. It's just straight up plastic instead. I just noticed this after a year of having the car. It's really annoying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also, a not having a temp gage sucks. I have to guess when it's completely warm. Would prefer a normal fuel gage over the digital one. Also some bushing in the rear suspension squeaks when it's rainy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
2009 1 gen model (UK version):
So far:
- paint is very thin (70-90) across the whole car (standard is around 120) - checked by detailer guy with his paint-o-meter thingy
- rust on alloys (Y design) - a known issue in UK
- manual stick is too close to the passenger seat in right hand drive model
- no boot release on the key fob
- not much room in the back (thankfully I don't have to seat there)
- left wiper stops too high causing wind noise on motorways (annoying as hell)
- not much leg room (comparing to my old car) - pedals a bit too close to each other

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I've got an 07 hatch.

- The A/C knobs looks really cheap compared to the rest of the cabin.
- I can't change the song from my steering wheel controls when the aux is plugged in.
- Here in Canada they don't do too well with keeping rust away, especially around the b pillar on the doors and rear fenders; lucky for me my problem isn't that bad... yet

·
Registered
658 Posts
No pause button for the CD player.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Engine sounds like I have a million miles on it and never did any maintenance. Like I'm driving with no oil, ripped belts and parts lose. I got it new and changed oil every 3000-3500 with K&N filter and Pennzoil platinum. Only at 40,000 miles too. I cant stand hearing my own car running.

also someone had said no door thud. That too, sounds like my door is falling off when I shut it.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have a 2009 Wagon.

- I hate the MPG's I get!
- I dislike the Orange/red accents on the stock stereo sys.

Honestly NOT many complaints...I really love my Mazda and how it works, drives & handle....yea the MPG's suck thats my #1 complaint.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Engine sounds like I have a million miles on it and never did any maintenance. Like I'm driving with no oil, ripped belts and parts lose. I got it new and changed oil every 3000-3500 with K&N filter and Pennzoil platinum. Only at 40,000 miles too. I cant stand hearing my own car running.

also someone had said no door thud. That too, sounds like my door is falling off when I shut it.
Yeah I noticed the engine noises too. Cool exhaust? No, Duratec engine...

That was me about the door thud. Still haven't had that come to fruition. Though I hear lining the door with sound insulation (dynamat, fat mat, etc.) will help along with replacing the stock fabric in the door panels with closed-cell foam works a lot. The door becomes heavier = thud.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Go close a cobalt door. Our door thuds quite nicely I found. The 3 is way more solid feeling than other cars in its class imo.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree with MBalik on not being able to change the songs with the steering wheel controls (with AUX plugged in). I'm sure there's a way around this... maybe.

Nothing serious I can complain about... I did however wish my 07 had a sunroof though. Oh wells. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
noises in engine bay probably = loose exhaust shields or other loose heat shields in the exhaust system under the car. completely harmless and super easy to fix. take a socket wrench when the car is *cool* and tighten down all the exhaust heatshield bolts.

door thud is an illusion, lol... you can certainly use dynamat or another vibration dampener to reduce the metallic vibration that happens when a door closes. This will make it sound very solid. It has nothing to do with weight.

2421 - 2440 of 2463 Posts