Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've had a problem with my windshield for awhile where a thin film of..... something..... forms on the interior side. Sometimes messing with the airflow clears it up, but as soon as I turn the air off it comes back, which is a problem on cold days when I need to use the cold air to clear it up or the hot air on hot days. It's especially noticeable in the morning or evening when the sun is low and I've got a good glare on the windshield, or when it's raining (like today). I can rub some off with my hand, so I've cleared a bit in the middle (circled in the picture) to make it easier to see, but it eventually just goes back to being covered over again. I've looked in to cleaning my windshield and have done it many times but no matter what I do I can't get rid of it. Has anyone else had this problem and solved it? How?

·
Registered
140 Posts
My best guess is to clean inside of windshields, plastics cause this film. Use vinegar on a microfiber cloth and clean until gone. May take several applications. Summer heat makes it worse, the film will stay there all winter. Put vinegar on cloth, don't spray it on unless you want car to smell like, well, vinegar.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wash the inside with a clean towel with dish detergent and water. Dry. Follow this with a good cleaning with any decent glass cleaner. Repeat as needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would take caution with vinegar, while generally great for hard water spots and glass cleaning around house, Ive had it react strangely, to basically, exactly what the OP states. A film on inside of windshield. Initially it seems to clean it, but soon you'll be chasing smudge and smear marks from all kinds of angles for days after. I'd go for Perfect Glass wipes, I've had best luck with these, easy to apply,.cuts down haze and seems to keep it off longer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would take caution with vinegar, while generally great for hard water spots and glass cleaning around house, Ive had it react strangely, to basically, exactly what the OP states. A film on inside of windshield. Initially it seems to clean it, but soon you'll be chasing smudge and smear marks from all kinds of angles for days after. I'd go for Perfect Glass wipes, I've had best luck with these, easy to apply,.cuts down haze and seems to keep it off longer.
Thanks for the thoughts. I'll look into Perfect Glass wipes later, but I'm kinda tight on money, so if they don't look cost effective to me I'll probably pursue other solutions. Nonetheless, I'll keep what you said in mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts. I'll look into Perfect Glass wipes later, but I'm kinda tight on money, so if they don't look cost effective to me I'll probably pursue other solutions. Nonetheless, I'll keep what you said in mind.
Oops, yeah I'd say they're the most ridiculously overpriced wipes I've ever come across. Sorry. They sell perfect glass in a standard spray bottle of course, a lot cheaper. Again, it's just a bandaid, and easy maintenance and not a fix for your issue. Could be hot weather related and car plastics maturing and offgassing more than normal. Could be a clogged condensation drain line, you know, the one that leaves puddles under our cars when we run the AC. Something I need to look into on my 2014 as well as I occasionally get condensation on windshield when running AC with the air directed at windshield.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oops, yeah I'd say they're the most ridiculously overpriced wipes I've ever come across. Sorry. They sell perfect glass in a standard spray bottle of course, a lot cheaper. Again, it's just a bandaid, and easy maintenance and not a fix for your issue. Could be hot weather related and car plastics maturing and offgassing more than normal. Could be a clogged condensation drain line, you know, the one that leaves puddles under our cars when we run the AC. Something I need to look into on my 2014 as well as I occasionally get condensation on windshield when running AC with the air directed at windshield.
I highly doubt it's a maturing plastic issue. It's literally a 2006. The plastic has had plenty of time to mature.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts