Mazda3 Forums banner

WILL IT VOID MY WARRANTY

• Total voters
101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, all. I'm new to the forum and have a new MS3. I'm nervous about this statement on the Mazdaspeed Motorsports Development website: "All suggested modifications and recommendations are intended solely for use on vehicles participating in off-highway competition events. Purchaser acknowledges that all Mazda vehicle warranties are voided if the vehicle is used in any Competition events. The purchaser accepts all responsibility for modifications to said vehicle(s) and all potential risks."

I really can't believe that competing in autocross (or even club racing) will void my vehicle warranty, and this is definitley not in the warranty info that came with my car. Thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not sure if this is true, but I think there's a way they can tell how the car is driven. Like the computer logs things such as rpms and braking. So they would be able to tell if you've ever redlined it, which would give them reason to not want to honor warranty.

I heard that the new Nissan Skyline has a GPS tracking system that has every race track in it and the dealer can tell if the car has ever been on a track. Apparently they will automatically void the warranty.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
[quote author=kirku link=topic=48881.msg2754745#msg2754745 date=1227077812]
Hi, all. I'm new to the forum and have a new MS3. I'm nervous about this statement on the Mazdaspeed Motorsports Development website: "All suggested modifications and recommendations are intended solely for use on vehicles participating in off-highway competition events. Purchaser acknowledges that all Mazda vehicle warranties are voided if the vehicle is used in any Competition events. The purchaser accepts all responsibility for modifications to said vehicle(s) and all potential risks."

I really can't believe that competing in autocross (or even club racing) will void my vehicle warranty, and this is definitley not in the warranty info that came with my car. Thoughts?
[/quote]

Mazda USA believes it, along with a number of other US auto manufacturers. Subaru and Mitsubishi have been known to send scouts to local autocross and club events, and check results posted on the internet and correlate them with registered vehicle owners to black-flag their warranty coverage for powertrain issues.

The loophole that's been used in the past is that it's only a competition if the event is time or if the performance of two vehicles is directly compared (who gets to the finish line first). By that definition HPDEs are kosher as long as timing equipment isn't used.

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
[quote author=sncc3 link=topic=48881.msg2933136#msg2933136 date=1234490275]
How about this for a warranty issue, dealer(s) said mazda will not cover heating element in back window because of tint I had installed. Only 2 lines in middle of glass not working. Has anyone heard of this before?
[/quote]

BS of course. I'd ask them if they do window tint for any of their customers (they probably contract out with a tint shop to do it) and ask if they tell all their customers that their warranties will be void from it.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts

[/quote]

My thought is "Then why does Mazda have that commercial quote saying no other car manufacturer has more cars racing on any given weekend?" That's BS imo to say that and not let the average enthusiast promote your product!

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
[quote author=seanzzila link=topic=48881.msg2955338#msg2955338 date=1235399891]

[/quote]

My thought is "Then why does Mazda have that commercial quote saying no other car manufacturer has more cars racing on any given weekend?" That's BS imo to say that and not let the average enthusiast promote your product!
[/quote]

similar case from several years ago. A manufacturer, think it was Subaru, gave a free membership to a national auto-x club and then voided the warranties of any owners who participated.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
[quote author=Shoogerfree link=topic=48881.msg2822089#msg2822089 date=1230060445]
I'm not sure if this is true, but I think there's a way they can tell how the car is driven. Like the computer logs things such as rpms and braking. So they would be able to tell if you've ever redlined it, which would give them reason to not want to honor warranty.

I heard that the new Nissan Skyline has a GPS tracking system that has every race track in it and the dealer can tell if the car has ever been on a track. Apparently they will automatically void the warranty.

[/quote]

Old post, but if they void my warranty based on some data that shows that I redlined it and braked somewhat hard, I'm going to be hecka pissed. I redlined it on accident cuz I thought the car was in drive instead of manual mode and I took off from a stop and wondered why it wasn't shifting. :lol: I also unleashed some of that "zoom-zoom" when accelerating onto the freeway twice because there were big-rigs coming up quick, and I was on an uphill onramp that is really short.

On another note, would the dealer give me crap if I replaced my last muffler with a straight pipe? I have a PZEV by the way. I plan on getting the pipe and the muffler both flanged so I could change 'em out myself in two minutes, but I don't know if the dealer would realize that the muffler is flanged when I take it in for whatever. Guess it depends on the dealer.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
[quote author=palikingmudda link=topic=48881.msg3001823#msg3001823 date=1237389129]
tinting my windows will void my warrant or adding the shark antenna ?
[/quote]

Most likely no and definitely no. I have read of some people having trouble with dealers not repairing rear window defrosters because of aftermarket tint, but those are few and far between.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed a K&N typhoon CAI a couple months ago, it came with a little card that said it wouldn't void my warranty, but i'm still not sure. Anyone really know if it will or not?

·
Registered
4 Posts
What about alarms being put in by other than mazda dealers? They charge incredible amounts, and whats the best alram for a mazda 3 neo in Australia?

·
Registered
22 Posts
[quote author=bearda link=topic=48881.msg2822168#msg2822168 date=1230063438]

[/quote]

Mazda USA believes it, along with a number of other US auto manufacturers. Subaru and Mitsubishi have been known to send scouts to local autocross and club events, and check results posted on the internet and correlate them with registered vehicle owners to black-flag their warranty coverage for powertrain issues.

The loophole that's been used in the past is that it's only a competition if the event is time or if the performance of two vehicles is directly compared (who gets to the finish line first). By that definition HPDEs are kosher as long as timing equipment isn't used.
[/quote]

I will say that GM also does this. Best thing to do is take off your license plate, and put a piece of paper between the dash and the window to block the VIN number.

That and don't brag on the internets.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe this has been asked before - sorry if this is a repeat/dumb question - but i read through this thread looking if lowering the car will void it's warranty. i dont seem to see a definite answer. just curious. dont want to do it then realize it does void it.. =S

thanks!

101 - 120 of 123 Posts