Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to confirm this, the manual is a little unclear.

It says something like power steering fluid e.g dexron III. I stopped by autozone and the only stuff I saw that said dexron III was autozone brand atx fluid. There was a mobil 1 synthetic atx fluid as well but that said something like dexron/preston V and didn't mention dexron III. I'd prefer to spend a few extra bucks and get a branded one than autozone's own stuff.

I noticed mine is only just past the 'min' mark so need to top it off, but wanted to check for certain what stuff I need to put in there.

Thanks for any help.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
yes.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The Mobil 1 ATF is rated for virtually every application, including Dexron III. Read the back of the bottle, it works with our ATX as well as the power steering fluid. In fact, I just topped off my power steering fluid with Mobil 1 ATF since it was barely at min. It only takes a little bit, but I'm anal about my fluids in my car. I always make sure my coolant, oil, ATF, brake/steering fluid are at the proper levels weekly. So....go ahead and buy that Mobil if you want it.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
good to know, as mine looks like it may need to topped off as well 8)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm going to do the turkey baster method and remove the dark power steering fluid and dump some new stuff in. I noticed that Castrol makes a Dexron III auto trans fluid so I'll probably go with that.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
They sell powersteering fluid at automotive stores for pretty cheap.

That's what I'll end up using. I'll probably pick a name brand and some packaging that says "synthetic" or something... heh

·
Registered
136 Posts
[quote author=HouRman link=topic=65686.msg2180605#msg2180605 date=1206477647]

That's what I'll end up using. I'll probably pick a name brand and some packaging that says "synthetic" or something... heh
[/quote]

umm...did you even read above that mazdas DO NOT USE power steering fluid. They use Automatic Transmission Fluid in the Power Steering resevoir, thats what this whole thread is about. Reading FTW

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
[quote author=Addikted To Boost link=topic=65686.msg2949778#msg2949778 date=1235144673]
[quote author=HouRman link=topic=65686.msg2180605#msg2180605 date=1206477647]

[/quote]

umm...did you even read above that mazdas DO NOT USE power steering fluid. They use Automatic Transmission Fluid in the Power Steering resevoir, thats what this whole thread is about. Reading FTW
[/quote]

he actually made a how to, and used mobil atf for the power steering.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
yeah dextron III is the proper application for our vehicle... there IS a difference between this and PS fluid. PS fluid is made primarily for GM vehicles and a few others (read the bottle). most "import" cars, toyotas, and cars in the ford family use ATF (dextron III) for power steering fluid...

i haven't topped mine off yet as it often changes between the MIN and MAX mark. the fluid expands when it gets hot so as long as your somewhere in between those markings you should be fine...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts