Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

when I left the dealer with my new Mazda3 Sport GT, I had on the car 4 16" rims with 205-55-16 Pirelli Winter Snowsport 210 and the stock 17" mags in the trunk without tires.

I didn't decide yet which summer tires I will put. At first I thought I would go for something Max Performance like Pilot Sport or Potenza SO-3, but I feel it would be an overkill.

But right now on dry days, the more I drive with the Pirelli Snowsport on the more I think that even those tires are too good for the car, in dry conditions. In cornering I can clearly feel that the tires can give me more traction but the car can't follow. Of course, it's better to have more traction than less. Which brings me to summer tires:

Which summer tires do you think would be the best match for the car ?
Looking at Tirerack, a notch under Max Performance category, you have Ultra High Performance which contains Yokohama AVS ES100 or Potenza RE750. Would they be a good choice ? I've seen some discussions about the Falken too and the tires seems pretty good. Thanks for your input

·
Registered
947 Posts
I am not sure if I understand you. What do you mean that the tire has more traction but the car won't follow?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean that with the stock suspension I can clearly feel that the tires are very far from reaching their limit. This is due mostly by the stock suspension which is on the soft side so the car is the bottle neck in term of performance. Still I won't change my suspension because I want a bit of comfort that's why I will not got with Max performance tires.

I had a Saab before and the car was very responsive to tires changes like from Pilot HX MXM to Toyo T-1S. That made a great deal of difference. Not sure that those differences could be feel on a Mazda3.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking to buy Pilot Sport or Potenza SO-3 so I can basically buy everything. If they are less expensive then great !

The AVS ES100 seem to be a very good value, and much cheaper than Pilots and Potenzas !

·
Registered
773 Posts
Just for the sake of comparison, a few different tires can be found at Costco in various sizes, and once you put them on through them, you get lifetime balancing and rotating, which is kind of kick. If nothing else, it also covers you for all the nails that seem to seek out nice new tires.

·
Registered
135 Posts
S03s are awesome. I use them on my 95M, and have put them through daily driving, autox, and track use. Fantastic tire. You get what you pay for.

I've autocrossed and road raced with them in the rain, and they're awesome in wet weather. Loads of grip.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Falken is what they are going to use on the mz3 at the Rev It Up challenge.

EDIT: (From Rev It Up site):
WILL EVERYONE BE DRIVING THE SAME KIND OF CAR?
You bet. Although you will also get to drive a MAZDA6 in the Skill Clinics, everyone competes equally in a new MAZDA3. All cars will be equipped with automatic transmissions and we’ll be using grippy Falken tires.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting... how much mileage were you able to put on your SO3 ?

From the reviews the Goodyear F1 GSD3 seems to be excellent as well.

But I just saw that the Pirelli PZero Nero is available in 215-50-17. Might be a good choice as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
lexterminator said:
Interesting... how much mileage were you able to put on your SO3 ?
Hard for me to say... definitely over 30K, but my useage is atypical. I use the tires about 7-8 mos out of the year, with snows in the winter. During the useage period, about 95% of my driving is highway commuting (130miles a day), which is really easy on tires. My tire life should not be indicative of what your experience will be in the real world. I would say that 15-20K for this tire is probably more realistic.

In the 195/50/15 size on my 95M, I got these tires for $75 ea from the Tire Rack. That's a great deal in my book. I will most likely go with them again. They're not perfect, but I really like em.
Cons:
Tramline like crazy
Kinda noisy
Flatspot easily when sitting for a day or two

Pros:
Tenacious grip
Great life
Fantastic wet traction

In summary: I'd buy them again in an instant, and I recommend them to many of my friends.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts