Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I too did this mod last weekend.

My intake valves were not that dirty at all. The butterfly valves were dirty. I broken every one of them removing them.
I put an oil catch can on.
Throttle body coolant bypass.
Changed both Oxygen sensors.

Cleaned everything.

Runs great. Much better without the VTCS and I'm happy I did it. Now, to see what the gas mileage improves too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did mine and can NOT get the car to run right. It does feel like a MAF issue now. Same symptoms as below.
If anyone can figure this out I would appreciate it.

2005 Mazda 3 2.3 AUTO
new O2 Sensors, MAF, rings, vavle job, timing chain, Mazda a freeze,

Yeah sooooo, I did this "mod" 2 nights ago and reverted back in less than 24 hrs. I saw a lot of ppl saying low to mid range gains and thought cool I'll do this. The first thing I noticed was upon first start-up it idled very rough and up and down in RPM's kinda like if the MAF wasn't plugged in (which it was) so I thought well I'll leave it till the computer recognizes it and see then say 50 miles or so. I drove it all day yesterday and it was sluggish mainly in the low to mid range area. Especially noticeable right after shifting (low or high RPM) when it used to push me in to my seat now I was actually getting pushed forward like a slow down.so after 60 miles I decided to re-install the vtcs
last night and 45 mins later test drove it again and the thing went like hell. That was my take on it. IMO I don't recommend this "mod". Now I don't know how this affects FI cars since I don't have a turbo yet. Maybe when I get it installed I'll try it again to see but till then I'll call this a "mod" for ppl who think this car is too fast and want to slow it down maybe more linear to the effect that it averages the output to the low side but definitely no positive effects here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did you plug the Shaft holes on the intake manifold too? Maybe epoxy? I left mine open and my car runs like shit.

I too did this mod last weekend.

My intake valves were not that dirty at all. The butterfly valves were dirty. I broken every one of them removing them.
I put an oil catch can on.
Throttle body coolant bypass.
Changed both Oxygen sensors.

Cleaned everything.

Runs great. Much better without the VTCS and I'm happy I did it. Now, to see what the gas mileage improves too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts