Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/495957

It is done. Well, its 90% done, havent carpeted the box yet. I havent put the sub in yet but so far it sounds awesome! The CDTs midbass kicks like a pair of 8"s and the highs are crystal clear. Although there is one downfall: With a well tuned system, you can hear all CDR imperfections. Not all files downloaded from the net are clean.. hell 90% of them arent.

Sub goes in today. Dont know when Ill have it carpeted though.

Enjoy all,

vaBoom

ps. i take beer money by paypal 8) lmao
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: Please also find attached diagrams to help you with part of the installation here: http://members.rogers.com/duscatu/Audio Kit Install.pdf

If you are having trouble with the file, email "dinu01" to request the PDF document.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated: 5/11/2006:
The speaker-installation portion of the walkthrough can be downloaded via the following links. Please visit Vaboom's cardomain site for the full walkthrough.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/userfiles/SpeakerWalkthrough.doc (1MB Word Doc)

http://www.mazda3forums.com/userfiles/SpeakerWalkthrough.pdf (600K Adobe PDF)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Looks awesome, this will help so much when I go to do my install. I think this is a great help to anyone, whether first timers or professionals, installing an aftermarket stereo. Thanks Again.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Excellent! This is f****** impressive what you do for this community :banana:

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I try my best to help out, since we all are new to the 3.

Sub went in today.. and omfg. Tomorrow Ill try to get a mpeg of the rear windshield wiper bouncing up and down. The bass is so violent, the sunroof, side mirrors, spoiler and hatch all shake.

Im very happy.

·
Registered
290 Posts
vaBooM said:
Thanks. I try my best to help out, since we all are new to the 3.

Sub went in today.. and omfg. Tomorrow Ill try to get a mpeg of the rear windshield wiper bouncing up and down. The bass is so violent, the sunroof, side mirrors, spoiler and hatch all shake.

Im very happy.
That'll keep the dust off!! :wink:
Glad it all worked out - and an excellent write up for the rest of us rookies - thank you sir
Edit: I added the "sir" because you'll most likely hear from me this weekend once I am in over my head trying to do what you have done. Might be a good time to open up a little room in your PM bucket :)

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MazdaSpeed3 said:
I found car carpeting @ wal-mart a couple days ago! I was like "WTF?!?!?" $5 gets you a roll enough for a big box. 4 diff. colors.
I went to WalMart earlier and they do have them in 4 different colors. Problem is, they come in 36" x 72" sheets. My box is 38" wide.

Thanks for the suggestion though. FYI, its $7.99 a roll here in Co.

Black7 said:
That'll keep the dust off!!
Glad it all worked out - and an excellent write up for the rest of us rookies - thank you sir
Edit: I added the "sir" because you'll most likely hear from me this weekend once I am in over my head trying to do what you have done. Might be a good time to open up a little room in your PM bucket
No problem. Plenty of room in my PM box, and if not can always email me.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
This is amazing!!!

This Mod says: "A must-read for everyone, especially those thinking of starting new threads on audio installation topics" :)

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much for the kind words.

And thank you for stickying the thread. I hope all benefit at least 50% from my guide.

Oh btw, feel free to PM me anytime if your stuck or need help. I will help you to the best of my knowledge. BK is another man that will help as well.

Enjoy

vaBoom
ps. will try to get metered soon... hoping for mid 140s db's!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ah, I see you are hoping for mid 140's dBs lol good luck!!! Pop in that bass mekanik or bass 305 and let it thump.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey VaBooM,
Do you have a picture of the stock speaker wire harnass? I would rather buy an adapter than cut the wires, but want to have the parts on hand when I do the install so I only have to tear things apart once.

Thanks,
newblu3

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I can take a picture. Only place that has stock speaker connectors is Crutchfield. My brother-in-law bought some speakers from then and they sent them free.

In my guide, I do clearly state when you cut the wire, leaving a good 3" or so if you ever wanted to reconnect them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah I saw them on Crutchfield but there are different ones. Not gonna buy my speakers form them though cause they are about $50 extra a pair, unless they provide adapters as well, then it might be worth the price of harness and the headache of making the adapter.

I know, definitely have to leave extra wire but I would rather not cut if I dont have to.

newblu3

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hole for the amp power cable

I've replaced my factory speakers w/ Infinity components and coaxials and installed Alpine V12 5CH amp and 1 farad CAP using LOC.
VaBoom's instruction was really helpful but the biggest problem I've had with the install was picking the right spot to drill the hole for my 4 gauge power wire. After drilling a couple of holes on the inside firewall (there are two layers of firewalls) I finally found the right spot next to the upper part of steering column. Make sure you drill as close to the steering column as possible without interfering with steering operation otherwise second (inner) firewall which is at an angle will give you a hard time making the drill bit catch the first firewall. Also make sure you have extended or eztra long drill bit. The second firewall is quite deep.

·
Registered
192 Posts
So how do those Infinity's sound??? I was thinking of going with the same setup. 61.5cs components in the front and 63.5i three ways in the back, and a 10" perfect sub in the trunk. I had the old Infinty Kappas in my old truck and I loved them.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Why did you put the line converter and booster in the back of the car? I always thought that you converted it near the radio, boost it by up to 4vdc to prevent noise, then ran the RCA's fromt he front to the back.

You are actually running speaker cable to the back and then back to the front, right?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ran speaker wire to the back for the LOC. Doesnt really matter how you do it, but I wanted to use shorter RCAs (actually what I had laying around).

4v is for old folks. Nothing less than 8v balanced for a decent system.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
hahah...

Yeah, well, I just used 4v as an example. ;)

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Suuuure. :)

4v is pretty standard nowadays. Every deck above, say $350, is 4v. But the key is not the power out, but if its balanced or not. 4v balanced will kick 8v unbalanced sqaure in the ass, and a typical audiophile WILL hear the difference.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.