Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the free way the other day and some guy in a riced out civic passes me by like he's cool or something. so i catch up to him. I get right next to him, were goin about 90, he downshifts while i stay in 5th. I dont even floor it all the way but i give it a little more gas and i leave him in the dust. i kept watching my speedometer. I reached 120Mph @5000Rpm's and finally the Govener kicks in.

Does anyone know how to take off the governer?

EDIT: Thread title (for fun) :twisted:

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
LOL, hey there are lots of threads over at the Mazda6club about this. Its a problem that many of us want solved(4 and 6 cyl.). Have to wait for a aftermarket company to come out with a chip upgrade.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I thought the governor was at 117? Anyways, yes.. we're gonna have to wait till an aftermarket chip comes out to remove it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I personally wish the governor was set at 80. I can't afford any speeding ticket to show up on my insurance and now that I have a vehicle that can do over 70 consistently, I'm in trouble. All joking aside, I think 120/117 is plenty IMO.

Craig

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I am sure glad the limiter isn't set at 80, because I would be hitting it constantly :) I don't drive much over that except to pass tractor traliers, when I will go any speed possible to get away from them( 90-100 is not uncommon in these situations :wink: ). I average around 75-80 on highways with 65 mph speed limits. As long as you are not passing everyone recklessly, and stay to the right after passing, cops usually don't mind 75 mph, at least in my area.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Lucky u.... our generally speed limit is 55.

Plains and open areas its 75..

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
We don't have any 75 mph speed limits in PA, just 55 and 65. I almost never drive 65 though in 65 speed limit areas, only in 55, and even then I go around 70 :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with the 80 mph rev limiter..... wait, maybe around 100, it would be nice to be able to pull some 1/4 miles ever once in a while.

I think the old-timers (like me) are less likely to hit the rev-limiter.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
We don't have any 75 mph speed limits in PA, just 55 and 65. I almost never drive 65 though in 65 speed limit areas, only in 55, and even then I go around 70
Definately. I got jealous when I saw 75 in that post. I think I'll move to Colorado one day.

Although, I don't get much opportunity to go over 70, but, at least around here, the cops don't seem to care that much. Driving on the turn pike at 4am sure lends some opportunities though...

·
Registered
126 Posts
if your in Australia Chip Torque (www.chiptorque.com.au) do a chip for the Mazda 6 that is compatable with the MZ3 computer.

i dunno about all you uk/usa guys but the 2.3 engine has been modified down to fix into aussie regulations our MZ3 put out 115kw

I have been told this chip will put the power output upto 145kw and takes off the speed limiter.

The chip is yet to be tested but they ensure me that it will work.

·
Registered
290 Posts
lmp180psu said:
We don't have any 75 mph speed limits in PA, just 55 and 65. I almost never drive 65 though in 65 speed limit areas, only in 55, and even then I go around 70 :)
What?? (j/k)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
We are 40-50 on expressways, 55-65 on freeways, and if you venture to the center of the state - I-5 actually can push 80 in some spots.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Well on GA400 after the toll. You can top out your car for a couple of miles. Hell everybody and there grandmoms drive fast on this highway.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
ATL said:
Well on GA400 after the toll.
There's a toll now? I think I left right as it was being finished (1994).

I just remember getting on the Perimeter and having semi's doing 70 and 80... Scared the crap out of me when I was learning to drive - that and the 24/7/365 construction that takes place. :)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Kazbaeden said:
Wow, 80... you can go 99 before being cited fro reckless driving and endangerment!
I wish. Actually, I think it's 20 or 25 before they will haul you off to jail on the spot. But if you exceed by 8 or 9, they will give you a ticket. Really sucks.

At least in the northern part, that's what they do.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I been going 120kph in a 50kph zone and got a $350 ticket here in canada. Doing all the conversions, thats doing about 75mph in a 35mph zone and got a $250US ticket! No jail time... just a warning. They're nice unless you rice up your car around here.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
All the more reason to like th mz3.... No need to rice it.

And I'm not sure they would let you go here for that..... They are mean in California!

·
Registered
773 Posts
I agree with my fellow Californian in that you can't speed more than 8 or 9 before hitting a ticketable speed. Then again, unless you're lucky enough to be on a pretty quiet section of highway, odds are you're just going to be part of a pack going 8-9 mph over the limit anyway. The way I figure out what my top speed should be in any given place is 10 percent over the posted limit (yes, that means 71.5 in a 65 zone), which should keep just about anybody cool. Unless you're weaving, you can usually do 72 down in SoCal without trouble. Actually, and I admit this readily, I hit 100 mph on the way up to San Francisco one time in my old car (a little Toyota), and it wasn't happy. Twenty minutes after taking delivery of my new Mz3S, I hit 95 on the freeway, and it was a smooth 95...thank God for cruise control being so effective.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts