Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
[quote author=magujia link=topic=134021.msg2880104#msg2880104 date=1232559194]
I took the car in for the smoke (from the turbo) and they red flagged my car, and voided the warranty, any ideas on how to proceed?

Gracias!
[/quote]

They need to prove that the part in question (downpipe) is the reason why another part (turbo) failed to deny a warranty claim. Smoking turbos seems to be a fairly common problem on the speed3's so just reassure them that you have a lawyer on retainer and that you know the warranty laws.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Damn, I still would have just went in with those parts takin' off and back to stock, just to play it safe if you don't know your dealer is mod friendly or not, just to save from bullshit like this.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Why would you expect them to warrenty any part of the drivetrain when you have modified it? I understand the turbo was most likley smoking before the DP/RP and the Converters were just cleaning it up before it came out the tailpipe. I am sure you could go through the time/expense/hastle and force them to prove via the Magnuson-Moss act that the DP/RP caused the turbo seals to leak. But why did you even put yourself in this position? You should have put the stock parts back on, taken it to them for service then put the DP/RP back on. (as if the mechanic would not be able to tell the DP had been off anyway)

You are going to have to force them to prove the DP/RP caused the seal to fail. They may replace the trubo under warrenty but be prepaired if anything else goes wrong (gearbox/engine internals etc) they are going to be able to claim ANY increase in HP/Torque from the engine excieded the "design" of the car and will not be covered.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Sorry to hear man, but everyone in your other thread highly recommended you go back to stock before taking it in. Hate to say it, but I saw this coming. It would probably be worth trying 5w-40 or a turbo inlet at this point. GL

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I beleive the culprit to the smoking turbo IS the reduction in back pressure due to the DP.

Almost all of the people i have seen have smoking turbos...have a DP. So its a possibility that mazda dealership is not lying lol

·
Registered
452 Posts
I could see "Maybe" some smoking after some time runing with "reduced" backpressure, but just too many people have had smoking issues as soon as they put the un catted DP on their cars. There is almost no backpressure even with the stock DP at idle so there is no significant difference between a stock or aftermarket DP. The stock converter(s) just do a good job of cleaning up the smoke before it gets out the tailpipe.

I would guess if they put the stock DP and 2nd cat back on the car the visable smoke would go away.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
[quote author=Byron link=topic=134021.msg2880173#msg2880173 date=1232560428]
Why would you expect them to warrenty any part of the drivetrain when you have modified it? I understand the turbo was most likley smoking before the DP/RP and the Converters were just cleaning it up before it came out the tailpipe. I am sure you could go through the time/expense/hastle and force them to prove via the Magnuson-Moss act that the DP/RP caused the turbo seals to leak. But why did you even put yourself in this position? You should have put the stock parts back on, taken it to them for service then put the DP/RP back on. (as if the mechanic would not be able to tell the DP had been off anyway)

You are going to have to force them to prove the DP/RP caused the seal to fail. They may replace the trubo under warrenty but be prepaired if anything else goes wrong (gearbox/engine internals etc) they are going to be able to claim ANY increase in HP/Torque from the engine excieded the "design" of the car and will not be covered.
[/quote]

+1

·
Registered
596 Posts
thats not true, there was a thread a while ago that proved there was about an equal amount with and without mods who still had smoking. Just depends on your car I guess. I have a full catless TBE with no issues

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
well, should've reseached the net before you went. mine started to smoke, i putted stock cat back on, came to a dealer and it didn't smoke. i asked the dealer if he minds a rp, he said no, so i came. you should check the dealer before you go, and you shouldn't blame the dealer for being a dick, you should blame yourself for not researching. i would try to go to a different dealer.

·
Registered
841 Posts
mazda has a clause that says if the car is used for racing then it voids the warranty and by installing off road race only parts (which the "race" pipe is) they can void your warranty. I have seen it a few times and it sucks but all you can do is try and work with them. Maybe talk with them and let them know you were not aware of what would happen by adding race parts and you will return it to stock. good luck.

·
Registered
146 Posts
[quote author=AFcadet link=topic=134021.msg2880258#msg2880258 date=1232562608]
I beleive the culprit to the smoking turbo IS the reduction in back pressure due to the DP.

Almost all of the people i have seen have smoking turbos...have a DP. So its a possibility that mazda dealership is not lying lol
[/quote]

I will bet that mostly all of the MS3's will be smoking at 70k - 80k miles even if you are stock.

I have a feeling that the mazdaspeed3's will fall into two categories.

1. Cars with turbos that are smoking now and,
2. Cars with turbos that are not smoking.... but will be smoking soon!!

I have a hunch that all the stock turbos at some point will start smoking, it is just a matter of time. Of course the exhaust modifications probably help speed the problem along, but if these turbos are that sensitive to start having seal problems with just a dp and or test pipe than my guess is that at 80k miles 90% of these cars will be smoking.

Mazda sucks!!

THey are obviously trying to sweep the problem under the rug and hoping that most of the cars start having an issue out of warrantee to avoid a full out recall on the turbo

Remember this turbo is on all MS3's, MS6's, and CX7's. That is a lot of turbos to replace for a company that is currently cash strapped

The smoking thing sucks bigtime. I really want to mod the car but do not want a stinky dirty smelly ugly exhaust for my brand new car. Not to mention that if the cat is masking the smoke than I would expect it to not flow as much down the road if it is constantly removing all those smoke particles.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I feared installing my DP for this issue. I talked to my Service Manager about it before hand and told him about the issue (he knew about it of course) and told him I wanted to put on a DP and if he would fix the turbo if it smoked. He said sure.

I put on the DP and no smoke, so no issue. However, the moral of the story still stands. Talk to your SM BEFORE you have issues. Find out how they feel about mods.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
FOR REALS

·
Registered
146 Posts
[quote author=ChitownMS3 link=topic=134021.msg2880360#msg2880360 date=1232564699]
thats not true, there was a thread a while ago that proved there was about an equal amount with and without mods who still had smoking. Just depends on your car I guess. I have a full catless TBE with no issues
[/quote]

could not find this thread. Do you know where it is?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My g/f had smoking turbo after CBE. Dealer replaced turbo without any problems and gave her a rental while it was in the shop for that day. Hitachi-Warner did have a bad batch of turbos on these cars. There is a thread about it. I believe it was mostly on '07's and early '08's maybe? Don't quote that. On the other hand as far as i know these turbo's have floating seals which rely on backpressure for best reliability so it may be a close call. Best option is rebuilt or upgrade turbo for sure. These factory turbos are definitely iffy at best.

·
Registered
368 Posts
For those of you that can't take the fact that not every mod works for everybody, you should not be modding your car. Keep it stock, you'll be happy. As far as the statement "Mazda Sucks" or all MS3's will eventually smoke, :bs: I don't believe that. Why would Mazda (or any other company) deliberately put bad parts on a production car they're trying to sell :huh. Modding requires patience and diligence in getting your car where you want it. That's suppose to be the fun part of doing this, seeing what works and what doesn't. That means sometimes you have to go back to the drawing board to see what works. It isn't just putting a part on and your done. One mod often affects another part and on and on. If you don't like working on or tuning your ride well, you probably shouldn't be doing it. Research, time and $$$ will get you to a happy place, maybe. If your not ready for that then stay stock and you'll probably have very few issues with the MS3, it's a well put together car. I don't get all the slams on a car that for 3 years in a row has taken top seat in this market in all the reviews... Go ahead and beat me up for my opinions but for the price to performance value this car is hard to beat, period. :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.