Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do these things still work? Are they worth getting/using?

I used one on my '99 Civic Si and it didn't prevent that from getting stolen. I would really like to avoid letting my new 3 suffer a similar fate. Should I run out and get The Club?

·
Registered
670 Posts
you can cut though the club with a simple pair of limb sheers, a girl at my work had her car stolen with one in it a couple months ago... when they found the car, it was cut in 2 and left in the back seat.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Actually, it depends on where you normally park your car. If you park it in a lot, or where there are lots of cars/people around, then having a club would almost guarantee that the car is safe. A thief would certainly not want to attract attention by cutting the club in front of an audience. On the other hand, if you park it in an isolated area... then anything can happen.

·
Registered
744 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
I figure that's what insurance is for.

But that's just me.
Until you start paying out the ass for it because your car was stolen...

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
The club is like one of those better-safe-than-sorry stuff. You dunno when it's gonna snow, but if you have a winter jacket, you should be fine.
Also, like rsx_r04 said, depends on where you usually park your car. If you live in Florida, you might not need a winter jacket at all :D

I saw the as-seen-on-tv's UnBRAKEable AutoLock. I think it's pretty safe :nsmile:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Personally, I think a flashing alarm light would give the same amount of protection. People don't try to cut through the club, but the steering wheel. They can still take the club off. I just wish that Mazda had put a little alarm light on the door... like on VW and other cars.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Personally, I think the club is next to useless to deter a thief. The only thing it's good for is giving the owner an illusion of extra security. As some of the post here have said, a thief could cut through the club or through the steering wheel to remove it. We can thank the infomercials for "UnBRAKEable AutoLock" for showing us and all the would be car thieves out there.

Speaking of which, that UnBRAKEable AutoLock sounds much better. IMHO, it would take a thief more time to defeat that locking mechanism than a "Club" which might get him/her caught.

But keep your common sense about. Don't park your car in isolated areas away from well lit and busy streets, and if you're able to park your car in any kind of full enclosure (i.e. garage) then by all means, do it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, my Civic had a good alarm, and I used the club. It was broken in to at least 7 or 8 times before it was finally stolen successfully... I'm guessing the audible alarm scared them off. Each time it was broken it was parked in front of a house (mine, my girlfriend's or my parents) and it happened at like 3 or 4 in the morning. So I'm guessing this was a premeditated act by a determined thief. A big reason I switched to Mazda from Honda was because I didn't want to go threough that same nightmare again.

I think WITH the audible alarm, the club helps because a thief is going to be less inclinded to spend time cutting the club with the alarm going off. But without one (like now), the thief can take the time to cut through.

Where I live now, I have a lit carport off the street - I don't know if that's better or worse than being on the street. I guess what I'll do is buy a club, keep it in the trunk, and pull it out when I have to park downtown or on a dark side street.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked long and hard for a better sub-forum to put it in, but couldn't find anything suitable (I thought about electronics but then decided against).

Maybe there could be a new sub-forum for security - people could post about aftermarket security options and also share their (unfortunate) experiences with break-ins and theft.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
The Club can be beneficial at times..

Some motorist cuts you off and haves the nerve to hop out of his car and give you grief.

WHAM WHAM... thatll show em.

·
Registered
111 Posts
raitchison said:
A. Nothing is going to keep a determined, professional thief from stealing your car.
B. Anything that makes your car less appealing than the one next to it is going to reduce your odds of theft.
I agree with raitchison. It's not about preventing theft, it's about deterring theft. Say your 3 has an alarm, immobilizer and club and you park it next to another 3 that doesn't have a club. Along come Mr. Thief. Which One Would He Steal?

I use a club on my 3. I was using the club on my old car, so I just keep on using it now.

·
Registered
396 Posts
AK/47 said:
raitchison said:
A. Nothing is going to keep a determined, professional thief from stealing your car.
B. Anything that makes your car less appealing than the one next to it is going to reduce your odds of theft.
I agree with raitchison. It's not about preventing theft, it's about deterring theft. Say your 3 has an alarm, immobilizer and club and you park it next to another 3 that doesn't have a club. Along come Mr. Thief. Which One Would He Steal?

I use a club on my 3. I was using the club on my old car, so I just keep on using it now.
agree with both statements.
i also use the club. its not like its expensive or anything.

·
Registered
202 Posts
no one mentioned that you could also drill through the lock of a club, but really, if it's that much of a worry, wire an LED scanner to be on when the car is off and get the autolock.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Given that nothing is going to deter a pro thief, I figure that keeping everything in my car in the glove box and out of sight means that it will be kept out of sight. After all, I have an automatic, and the PATS will keep anybody from hotwiring it, so pretty much the only way to steal it is to tow it, and that's pretty noticeable in my small town (especially with the wheels getting dragged because I leave the car in Park). All in all, I figure adding the Club is just an incentive to get smacked in the back of my head when I stop suddenly to avoid a stupid driver (read as a retired lady that sees out from between the spokes on the steering wheel of a 1999 Buick). hahaha

1 - 20 of 20 Posts