Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a little over a year old but I want to get a new battery. What have some you replaced the OEM one with? Are Duralast any good? How about Napa? Thanks!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want the hassle of having to keep checking the level in it......I want a self-contained battery. I know it doesn't take long to check it every month or so, but I just don't want to do that. Mazda, I think, is the only one still using one of these kind of batteries in their new cars. Or at least in the 2006 models. Cost cutting measure or what???!!!???

·
Registered
14,911 Posts
The Optima brand seems to be popular. Do a quick search and you'll find lots of comments about them.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do know about the Optima and know it's popular, but looking for something a little less expensive that those. I'm sure they are good batteries, but I don't want to spend that much.
But thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Well, I've heard plenty of people give positive reviews of Die Hards. I'd stay away from the generic or house brands (like Napa, Duralast, etc.) I'll probably go with an Optima when the time comes though.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Die Hard Gold. Come with a 3 year replacement (8 year limited). Have one in my car right now, works just fine. Personally I think Optima is just a waste, unless you are running all type of equipment. The die hard will likely last the whole time you own the car and give you no issues, at least prior one's I have had never did. Doesn't make much sense to double pay for an Optima for some vibration reduction and slightly longer life. To each thier own though, I'd just rather spend extra money on HID's or rims than a nifty battery.

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=greyzoomer link=topic=67948.msg1170664#msg1170664 date=1169845841]
My car is a little over a year old but I want to get a new battery.  What have some you replaced the OEM one with?   Are Duralast any good?  How about Napa?  Thanks!
[/quote]
Thats the most crazy thing ive ever heard!!! The mazda 3 battery will last at least 4 years, 3 at worst. There is No need to check fluid levels in the oem battery. Just leave it alone. After your car is 4 years old or so THEN id say be conservative and go ahead and relace it. A 1 y.o. battery replace..Thats  :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
3 years ago I had to change the battery in my Miata, it was 6 or 7 years old, I went with a Mazda replacement (special battery in those little cars, and not cheap). Last year I replaced the battery in my Geo '96 Tracker (bought for the wife to learn to drive a manual), I think that battery was about 5 years old. I also replaced the battery in my wife's 2000 Hyundai Elantra , that battery was 7 years old. Of course these were all maintenance free. Don't replace unless it goes bad. If you are paranoid then remove the battery every 6 months and take it to your local auto parts store, they should test it for free.

·
Registered
305 Posts
[quote author=alecshawn link=topic=67948.msg1171004#msg1171004 date=1169855750]
Thats the most crazy thing ive ever heard!!! The mazda 3 battery will last at least 4 years, 3 at worst. There is No need to check fluid levels in the oem battery. Just leave it alone. After your car is 4 years old or so THEN id say be conservative and go ahead and relace it. A 1 y.o. battery replace..Thats :lol:[/quote]

+1000
don't fix something if it isn't broken.

My neighbor gets a new free battery every year from wallyworld, & keeps the receipt. Every year he takes it back, gets a new replacement one free of charge. Hes been doing this for 6 years now on his old clunker.

·
Registered
15,112 Posts
I agree with not going with the Optima, unless you are running some hardcore sound system in the car. I've had good luck with Die Hards, Interstate, and AC Delco's. If its only a year old though, you don't need to replace it. Like these guys have said before, its wasting your money.

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=zoom_craigy_zoom link=topic=67948.msg1172314#msg1172314 date=1169953008]
I agree with not going with the Optima, unless you are running some hardcore sound system in the car. I've had good luck with Die Hards, Interstate, and AC Delco's. If its only a year old though, you don't need to replace it. Like these guys have said before, its wasting your money.
[/quote]
Good advise!!

·
Registered
15,112 Posts
[quote author=Darknodin link=topic=67948.msg1172799#msg1172799 date=1169996657]
what exactly is the problem with our batteries?
[/quote]

I haven't had any problems with my battery. I have an 04, and as far as I know, its the original battery. (I bought the car used in 2006). Its been a little sluggish starting in this cold weather we've been having here in New England, but that is normal with any car.

·
Registered
190 Posts
[/quote]
NONE!! Ive never really had a problem with any battery, Let alone the 3's.They almost ALWAYS last at least 4 years. No matter the make.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I think people get put off because in the manual it says you should check the fluid level every so often, so that the battery works it's best. I personally think you could not even worry about it and be fine for 4 years. After 3 years I decided to get a Die Hard Gold, primarily because I got a sears giftcard for christmas and I never shop there. I was impressed by that 8 year limited warranty. I had one in my 87 Olds Cutlass for the longest time and never had a problem, and it was running tons of audio. There are alot of silly things you can spend money on for your car, if the original poster wants to spend $90 for a new battery I don't see the big deal. No more of a waste then people dumping in Techron concentrate every 3k when they already use top tier gasoline.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
[quote author=zoom_craigy_zoom link=topic=67948.msg1172807#msg1172807 date=1169997293]
[/quote]

I haven't had any problems with my battery. I have an 04, and as far as I know, its the original battery. (I bought the car used in 2006). Its been a little sluggish starting in this cold weather we've been having here in New England, but that is normal with any car.
[/quote]

The oem battery is actually 1 of the better & reliable parts on this car.
I've left my interior map lights on overnight on 2 occasions in 20 degree weather & the car still started like a champ.

Kudos Mazda for not going cheap on the battery.

As for checking the battery fluid, do it as part of your maintenance or don't do it & get a new 1 in 3/4 years...No big deal.
Hey some ppl think it's more important to pay $50 for a sharkfin antenna or $250 for a CAI that brings about the annoying CEL.

But it does suck when you can't start your car....

·
Registered
14,911 Posts
The battery in my '06 was replaced by the dealer. I took the car there because of the "clock losing time" TSB. When they fixed the clock, they also informed me that they had replaced the battery because it was faulty, which was a surprise to me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 2005 Hatch and my battery just failed on me the oem panasonic, I wanted to put in the Optima Red top # 34 and was almost refused to by my local "Prep" Boys auto to sell me one. They wanted to sell me a Bosch not that I have a problem with Bosch but couldn't get what I wanted w/o a hassle. Has anyone else had major issues around early battery failure?

·
Registered
87 Posts
CR tested batteries in OCT 06 Group 35 1)Napa Legend $60 Warranty Free/Total 18/75 2) Duralast (Autozone) $60 24/84 The Napa was rated better in cold weather,Duralast better in warm . The optima is just too much money,unless you have special needs. Did you ever check the water level in your battery?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts