Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
I tought it was the european version! Or is it? It's confusing, since both Japan and Mazdausa show the same blue version in their site :?:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a n00b, so please excuse my ignorance...

But is it me, or is the intake mani on the FRONT of the engine?

If that's the case I guess Mazda is going the same route as Toyota, Dodge, and others for the sake of cleaner emissions...?

This makes it a pain to mod the engine, add a turbo, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Frank said:
It's exactly the same thing. The 2.3 from the 6 is also inverted. New Honda too are Inverted. Why? Ask someone else, I do not know the answer.

-Frank
All inverted engines for the most part are done so the cats can be placed as close to the engine as possible. Some even as part of the exhaust mani.

I'm supposing that's why Mazda did it to this engine.

This is actually a little beneficial for N/A engines because alot of heat is left far from the intake (towards the rear of the engine bay), makes intake pipes shorter for inproved throttle response, and makes headers/exhausts shorter and easier to produce. In a perfect world this would make aftermarket parts cheaper... But this aint no perfect world...

Unfortunately it makes it a pain to add a turbo to where it's most efficient, right next to the exhaust outlets. Sure, the SRT-4 and most RSX and Celica turbo kits have it there, but some kits also encounter problems with turbos heating up alot, and more risk of oil coking and turbo failure if a timer is not used.

Not to mention the added piping needed to make a complete round trip of the engine bay from the front (Cold Air), to the back (turbo), to the front again (IC), then to wherever the inlet is.... Can you say LAG? You'd need smaller piping or I/C in order to keep lag in check, hurting performance... The SRT-4 has almost a 1 second lag as it is... on a 2.4L engine with a not-so-big turbo...

I've been debatin on getting an MSP or waiting for the new 3... I think the MSP sounds better the more I think about it...

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I don't think that adding a turbo on their 2nd cheapest car is Mazda's main concern at the moment.

You want a turbo, wait for the RX-7 or see what you can do with an RX-8.

·
Registered
3 Posts
dinu01 said:
I don't think that adding a turbo on their 2nd cheapest car is Mazda's main concern at the moment.
I was talking from an aftermarket standpoint. It's obvious that any car company will care more about emissions than the aftermarket. Buyers eventually wanting to modify their cars are the minority...

You want a turbo, wait for the RX-7 or see what you can do with an RX-8.
Sure, buddy! Might as well go for an R34 while I'm pulling money out of my ass... Since you seem to think anyone can pull an extra 10-15k out of there, might as well keep pushin'... I love your logic! :roll:

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
dinu01 said:
Don't forget the Mazda2!
Frank said:
I don't think that we will get the Mazda2 here, in Canada. So, the Mazda3 will be THE cheapest model. Well, the cheapest, but not the least.

-Frank

Frank answered exactly why I had forgotten about it :)

Although I remembered right after I posted my earlier comment.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Scorpion: Don't take everything so seriously. I'm assuming we're all pretty young on this forum and an RX-8 as appealing as it is, is just not in my (and most likely the majority of people's here) budget. I was just saying that while a pocket rocket Mazda3 Turbo is great, the odds of Mazda giving us one NOW is slim - in a year or two some MazdaSpeed version might just come along. Now they have to focus on getting the 3 out and solidifying their place in the Euro and NA markets.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Re: Mazda2

This is a world forum and in the Euro and Japanese market the 2/Demio is Mazda's smallest car. We have people from Europe that post here, so to them the 3 is the 2nd cheapest Mazda product.

And no I don't think we'll see the 2 in Canada, let alone in the bigger is better US...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts