Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up one of these since my waffle-weave towels are a little torn up now, but I have on very stupid question about it...how the hell do you open it? :lol: There's no "open here" thing or anything on the canister so I'm about to just go cut an end off with a pipe saw. :p

While searching around for an answer, I came across this thread that says I should fold it into quarters and drag it across the paint, which is nice to know cuz I'd just rub it against the car like a regular towel. :lol: Is it really that good or should I get something else?

For reference, I'm talking about these

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
The top should separate off. Don't cut it. You want to keep it air tight in the container when you're done so it stays damp. Try and insert a small file under the cap. I bought mine over 10 years ago and still use so it's been awhile since I've had to open one (this also speaks to the long lasting quality if the product).

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
Dude, in the picture you posted theres a tube with the top off, and one with the top on... I'm confused as to how this is causing you a problem :lol:.

As far as the product itself, they're awesome. I have 2, my dad has 1 and a few of my friends have picked them up because they liked how it worked on my car. You'll want to use it more like a squeegee than anything, but it does suck up water as it goes. You also want to keep it semi-wet when you store it because if it dries out, its pretty much dead.

Its really the only thing I'll ever buy to dry my car. Flood the paint and use this thing, and your car will by dry in just a few minutes.

·
Registered
476 Posts
FWIW, I used one for years and they definitely has it's uses.

Just not on your paint. They really pull some wax off. Big, microfiber cloth towels are just as effective and don't have nearly as much friction on the finish.

The Absorber is great around the house though! As advertised, that's really where it realy "shines." :)

Also good for door jambs and other lightly soiled areas you wanna keep clean, that you don't want to run your drying towel(s) over. And a clean and damp one, works pretty well to wipe down dusty interiors.

TIP: Flood the canister with water and let it sit horizontally, then wring it good. And like someone else said, don't let it get completely dry, they like to stay damp, and work best after soaking for 10-15 minutes.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
[quote author=gar187er link=topic=139581.msg3009761#msg3009761 date=1237738691]
not to mention they drag dirt across your paint....be 110% sure your car is absolutly clean!!!
[/quote]

Yep. throw mine in the wash on microfiber towel laundry day.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have the offbrand of those and they are the goddamn bees knees. I love that thing so much! I tried washing it with woolite though, and I haven't been able to rinse it out enough. Time to buy a new one since they are cheap.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got one of these, it works OK, I end up flooding the paint, going over the car with my "absorber" but it doesn't get all the water so I go over it again w/ a waffle weave microfiber to get every last drop.

Phillip

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought one of these and it worked OK the first time, but I stored it damp in the canister as directed and it turned moldy. Talk about a disgusting mess when I took it out to use the next time. I was not impressed at all so I am back to using my microfiber waffle weave towels again.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
r they SHAMWOW-TASTIC lol j/k...but seorously

·
Registered
476 Posts
The main problem about The Absorber is that's it has a lot of friction. Great product for household use because of that, but not so great for a modern car. Microfiber drying towels work well and don't pull nearly as much wax off, you can feel the difference when you use it, they slide over the finish much better.

But like I said, I still use them, just not on the main finish. Great for door jambs, even wheels, and they're the ultimate household cleaning towel too, if you treat it right; wash it hard then let it soak. don't let it dry out.

I still use it on my car sometimes, but mostly in the interior plastics and wheel areas (not simultaneously). I can throw it in the wash with my jeans or towels and it comes it lint free every time. You just have to know it's limitations and work around them. Basically, it's just a flat, synthetic sponge.

Just don't use it to dry your car. There are much better products for that now.

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
I've never liked microfiber drying towels. They just spread the water around so that it drys in the sun. This actually picks up the water. As long as your car is actually clean, and you dont put your full body weight against the car as you dry with it, I dont see there being a problem.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
[quote author=tesprit link=topic=139581.msg3016507#msg3016507 date=1238000553]
So how do you keep these things from getting moldy when you have to store them damp in the container? :dunno:
[/quote

I believe there is an anti microbial in the towel that keeps it from molding. It's never been an issue for me.

·
Registered
476 Posts
[quote author=sdemo45 link=topic=139581.msg3016452#msg3016452 date=1237999339]
I've never liked microfiber drying towels. They just spread the water around so that it drys in the sun. This actually picks up the water. As long as your car is actually clean, and you dont put your full body weight against the car as you dry with it, I dont see there being a problem.
[/quote]

Washing/drying a car in full sun is a bad idea, but you're right, the towel doesn't pick up as much water (or wax) in a single pass as the synthetic chamois does. But so what? Another pass and you're pretty much there, what's left behind is such a thin layer that it will evaporate soon enough. If you're working in the sun or on hot paint, you'll get a thicker layer of water that evaporates very fast, leading to spots and filmy residue. So don't do that. :)

BTW, the only time I've ever had a mildew problem is when I haven't used it for a really long time. But a quick handwash in a bucket with dish soap, hot water, and a teaspoon of bleach will fix that.

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
^ Yea, thats ideal to wash outside of direct sun, but I only have one driveway and have to deal with how its positioned, lol. I use a spray wax pretty much every time I dont full out wax my car, so I'm not worried about the marginal amount of wax that the Absorber may pick up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts