Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I took a mz3 gt with gfx pkg for a test drive yesterday. and i was quite impressed for how much it is. it is lacking the interoir feel of a nice car (hard plastic dash etc.) but it was nice,. a couple of things did kinda bother me tho. the gas/break pedels are *way* to close for my liking, no problems but would prefure a bit more distance. and i was talking to the sales guy while i was looking at the engine and i mentioned that some of the newer cars like the rsx the engine looks all plastic or its just covered in plastic. he then told me that the plastic case ontop of the engine was removable. that was nice until he removed it and i noticed the the complete exhust header was plastic aswell. I guess they have to cut costs some place and as he said "it reduces the weight" but what else is plastic in the engine that shouldn't be. *plastic pistons* :) but anyway just wondering how easy or posible it is to move/bend/modify the pedels
as for the header.. well im sure once the parts are out everyone will be doing the basic stuff i/h/e stuff

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
You could add a set of racing pedals.

Btw, the exhaust manifold is stainless steel, not plastic. No plastic can withstand the heat generated by the cylinder head.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
When I took my test drive last week, I was focusing on pedal placement, as there have been complaints on here about it, but I didn't seem to have any problems with them. I wore a size 9.5 casual dress shoe (same as my work shoe), so maybe people with bigger feet, wide shoes/boots would have more of a problem.

BTW, what size shoe do you wear? Also, I was driving an auto trans MZ3, if that makes any difference?

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Did you test drive MT or AT?
I find the pedals in MT are too close, but brake and clutch, not gas and brake. Personally I dun think bending the pedals is difficult (Especially AT). I want to move/modify the clutch pedal, but if I move it too much to the left, my left foot would hit the footrest everytime I push the clutch in. I just wish there's no footrest on manual MZ3.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was driving mt, i found it fine but it was a bit close., 10.5 skate shoes (bit wider then dress shoes) i didn't have any troubles but just wondering. as for the header. they must be covered in plastic then, thats what i thought on a hot day they would melt or somthing,. but it does look like plastic to me.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Your thinking about the intake manifold. The exhaust manifold is near the firewall.

I got used to it after 30 mins of driving my car. I wear a size 12 and dont feel a big problem as when I first drove the car.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have a size 12 dress shoe with a tall and wide sole. With my driving habits I sometimes have trouble clipping the corner of the brake pedal with the widest part of my shoe. In regular driving I use my whole foot to press the gas instead of just my toes. I think it adds to a more relaxing drive most of the time and a lead foot at other times. I have had to adjust to driving with my toes when I am wearing, and only when I am wearing, my dress shoes.

I drive a manual transmission, but I still had the same complaint when I first test drove the automatic.

·
Registered
882 Posts
It's funny how some think the interior plastics are cheap and some think they are great. You read many of the "professional" reviews of the car and a most rave about the interior fit and finish.

I personally like it, it fits the design of the interior. My Pro5 had a softer dash but I can't think as to how much time I spent stroking and pawing my dash, it certainly wasn't very much...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts