Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hearing people say this one is a true pocket rocket and all the car magzines or websites say this car is the best performance car under $25K. the only turbocharged car I have driven before was a GTI with DSG tranny, pretty good but not too impressive.

the past weekend I went to the dealer to get the oil change. while I was waiting I went to the showroom and asked my salesman if I could test drive the mazdaspeed 3. I was a little surprised because he said ok so we went out for a drive.

When I first got into the car I felt the car was no difference than my mazda 3 S except the engine sound. but when I started to move I could feel the BIG difference. I did not have to give any gas, and I could feel the car was about to fly just by lifting the clutch...so I stalled!!!

after restarted the car I went on the road. I could accelerate like I was gonna take off in every gear and I felt everyone on the road was soooo slow!! I even felt I was able to race with a Porsche or BMW M3 :lol: :lol: (maybe not, but feels really good!!)

the GTI is absolutely nothing compare to the Mazdaspeed 3. on GTI I could feel the turbo lag and I felt the car was weak a little shaking before the turbo kicked in, but I did not feel any turbo lag on the mazdaspeed 3. just give gas and go, no need to wait the turbo kicks in!! :shock: Also Mazdaspeed 3 is a lot faster than GTI, and much cheaper!!

The only thing I do not like on Mazdaspeed 3 was the jerk feeling when I shift gears. the jerk was very strong. part of the reason was I wasn't familiar with the car and also I think I did not give enough gas when shift. because the car had too much power so I was afraid if I gave enough gas the car would fly and crash in the butt of the car in front of me :lol: :lol: :lol:

after we got back to the dealer the salesman asked me if I want the car. If yes he was gonna do the trade in process and gave me a great deal. I said no, the car has too much power for me. I felt I could not control it and when I got off the car my heart beats like I just completed a sprint running!

Why Mazdaspeed3 does not come with DSG? if it does I would jump in one of them without thinking. but with Manual tranny I think I am not able to control it and it is really hard for me to drive smoothly. it is not a car, when I was on the road, I felt it was a jet airplane!

·
Registered
872 Posts
You just have to give it a little time to get used to the way the car drives. Don't let it scare you off the first time you drive it.

(and yes, it is much better than the GTI :))

·
Registered
778 Posts
i felt the same way when i drove a speed3. i also have a n/a 3

·
Registered
390 Posts
this week im gonna go try and test drive a speed3. not sure if they will let me since im only 19 i dont no wat the rules r for a test drive but im hoping they do lol. vitamin c i see ur in jersey wat dealer did u go to?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to MAXON Mazda & Hyundai on Rt 22 in Union. The one I test drove was a white one, if you go there you probably will drive the same one as I did :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also you are a Rutgers student? I graduated there :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
390 Posts
tru. ill be goin to wayne mazda since its closest to my house. i really hope they let me drive one. and yea im a rutgers student second year when did u graduate?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I graduated in 2007 from Newark campus. Wayne Mazda is the largest Mazda dealer on this planet but it did not have the car I was looking for when I bought mine (I wanted a MTX gray hatch S touring with moonroof and 6CD) so I went to MAXON. MAXON also did not have the exact car I was looking for so I ended up got a MTX silver sedan S touring with moonroof and 6CD. sometimes I feel I should wait until I get a hatch because I still like the hatch more but now I think I need to save money for a turbocharged car...maybe not a MS3 because it has too much power, a GTI is good enough

Just go there and say you are interesting in buying a MS3, I do not see why they would not let you drive one. Just be careful because this one really can fly...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
A new rear motor mount or Corksport urethane inserts take 95% of the the shifting problems away. Make the clutch modulation way easier too. Add the shifter bushings and the thing is a dream to drive (if you know how to drive stick - do NOT learn to drive standard on a Speed3).

TIM

·
Registered
390 Posts
[quote author=vitaminC link=topic=138883.msg2993629#msg2993629 date=1237003365]
I graduated in 2007 from Newark campus. Wayne Mazda is the largest Mazda dealer on this planet but it did not have the car I was looking for when I bought mine (I wanted a MTX gray hatch S touring with moonroof and 6CD) so I went to MAXON. MAXON also did not have the exact car I was looking for so I ended up got a MTX silver sedan S touring with moonroof and 6CD. sometimes I feel I should wait until I get a hatch because I still like the hatch more but now I think I need to save money for a turbocharged car...maybe not a MS3 because it has too much power, a GTI is good enough

Just go there and say you are interesting in buying a MS3, I do not see why they would not let you drive one. Just be careful because this one really can fly...
[/quote]

its pretty ironic how they the biggest dealer and they didnt have the one you wanted. but from the sounds of it on this forum the speed really is a wonderful car. mayb if go bac and drive it again u will change your mind about it having to much power. im sure after a few drives that feeling will wash away. but thanks for the heads up. i have a feelin im gonna get out of the speed3 and wont b able to get bac into my 2.0 lol

·
Registered
778 Posts
[quote author=Tim25 link=topic=138883.msg2993638#msg2993638 date=1237003954]
A new rear motor mount or Corksport urethane inserts take 95% of the the shifting problems away. Make the clutch modulation way easier too. Add the shifter bushings and the thing is a dream to drive (if you know how to drive stick - do NOT learn to drive standard on a Speed3).

TIM
[/quote]
thats one reason why i didnt want to get a speed3. i didnt think i could handle it.

·
Registered
872 Posts

TIM
[/quote]

why not? it was my first manual, but I had a little experience. I think as long as you take it slow and are careful then its no problem

·
Registered
327 Posts
[quote author=Naaman link=topic=138883.msg2993685#msg2993685 date=1237005880]

TIM
[/quote]

why not? it was my first manual, but I had a little experience. I think as long as you take it slow and are careful then its no problem
[/quote]

Same here, first manual DD, other than that I learned how to drive manual in my Dad's corvette, not that was difficult. Just take it slow at first, like I did, and now that I'm comfortable I can truly see what the car can do, and the MM inserts are really great.

·
Registered
644 Posts
wow. i really wanna drive one now. ive driven an 08 mazda3 2.3L that i own, a 2010 2.5L, an rx8, a mazda6, but no mazdaspeed yet. pissed tho cuz i crashed my mazda3.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
lol when I drove the Rx-8 I laughed so hard, i couldn't beleve how NOT fast it was.
When I drove the MS3, I was thinking heh it's not gonna be that much faster.
Uh...yeah I think I wet myself alittle when I drove the MS3, It scared the crap outta me!
Fun car, but I was only 1 year into my car loan at the time.
But now im building my car to be faster than a stock MS3 :) b00000st baby!!!!

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
ROFLMFAO - dude. speed 3. the rx8 is a piece of shit. only thing good about it are the stock wheels from the 04-06 models.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't think I'll ever test drive a speed3 simply for the fact that I don't want to get that "I should've got this car instead of the one I have now" feeling...

·
Registered
91 Posts
[quote author=Marne_Aeok link=topic=138883.msg2993817#msg2993817 date=1237022096]
ROFLMFAO - dude. speed 3. the rx8 is a piece of shit. only thing good about it are the stock wheels from the 04-06 models.
[/quote]
Not to start an argument, but the RX-8 wasn't built to go fast in a straight line...

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
lol it wasnt built to do anything lol. they wanted to make some money and hype it up and feed off the rx7s legacy - they fucking FAILED lol

boost your current 3 - you will spank a speed 3

·
Registered
91 Posts
[quote author=Marne_Aeok link=topic=138883.msg2993866#msg2993866 date=1237032004]
lol it wasnt built to do anything lol. they wanted to make some money and hype it up and feed off the rx7s legacy - they fucking FAILED lol[/quote]
Actually, it has a near perfect 50/50 weight balance. Drive one on a fast, twisty course...

1 - 20 of 102 Posts