Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 3 sedan, but I'm thinking of getting a hatch or small suv.....still undecided which way to go though. Am thinking about the 3 hatchback as a possibility. Interested if any of you with the hatch can tell me how you feel about the room in the back of it, and if any of you with one has any pictures of the cargo area. Thanks...

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
i love my hatch because i think it looks damn sporty, and i dont know what i'd do if i didnt have the space to carry stuff around if i need to. i dont have any pics, but i can tell you the amount of stuff i can carry in that thing is just silly. i've been called on to haul bookcases and jewelry chests with no trouble. when i moved out of my college apt and into my next one, i managed to haul everything but my bed in my hatch, including my large disassembled desk.

when i got the speed3, i considered the speed6 as well, but i just couldn't justify giving up the space. if they had taken away the ability to fold the seats down for the speed3, i probably wouldnt have gotten it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I too love the hatch. Just last night me and my fiance hauled a full twin matress with no problems at all. We go camping as well and it really is alot easier to fold the seats down and pack everything in.

Having that ability is what sold the hatch for me. Granted I do like the look of most sedans though.

Really the only difference that I see between the sedan and the hatch is the fact that the hole for the back seats is obviously non existant on the hatch. Having a larger opening really gives you more flexibility in what you can haul around.

~Saint

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think I'm seeing a pattern in the replies here .... 8)

1. Looks. I know not all like the profile, but I really do.
2. Utility. I took a 1000 mile roundrip in this car with my wife and 2 kids and a dog. Actually, when I was in the market I specifically wanted a car that I could easilly throw my bicycle in the back. I can do this with the front wheel on in the hatch
3. Fun to drive. Obviously this isn't specific to the hatch. Unless you are comparing it to a Toyota Matrix.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't looked at the Matrix yet, but I know it's out there. Any good????

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
[quote author=greyzoomer link=topic=67577.msg1162994#msg1162994 date=1169505358]
[/quote]

dont know first hand, but i heard matrix isnt very good :?

on the other hand, i dont know if this will give you an aspect of it but im a drummer and i fit my ENTIRE set in my car and still had room to put a buddy of mine in the front seat (were both about 6'2") the drum stuff was 1bass drum, 2mount toms, 1floor tom, hi-hats,snare, 5 cymbals and all equipment to go with it... the fact that the back seat folds down is heaven for those who move stuff...

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
don't own a hatch....but Gotta love the BIG BOOTY BABY!!!

but have been around enough 3's and hatches to love the extra cargo room, tried to put a desk (in a box) into my sedan the other and...umm...lets just say i had to do 60 down the freeway with the trunk open...lol.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
[quote author=ShaleZoom3 link=topic=67577.msg1163335#msg1163335 date=1169515160]
don't own a hatch....but Gotta love the BIG BOOTY BABY!!!

but have been around enough 3's and hatches to love the extra cargo room, tried to put a desk (in a box) into my sedan the other and...umm...lets just say i had to do 60 down the freeway with the trunk open...lol.
[/quote]

those are my days no more!! ....suckaaa... :dance2:

i kidd i kidd... i like both versions of the 3, just happend that i got a hatch and glad i did in retrospect because of the drums issue... i would have been in trouble with a sedan i think. but to each his own!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I like it because its damn sexy. I really like the shoulder lines that the 3 hatch has, you don't find that kind of detail on much of anything else in this price range. Black mica hatch might be the sexiest 3 there is 8)

I don't really use the room for anything all except my gigantic ugly sub box that I haven't carpeted yet. The bronco does all the real hauling.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
yea that too... in terms of body lines i like the hatch more (the trunk on the sedan kills it IMO)

i considered some subs (2 polk audios and a poineer amp i have from my friend) but i didnt want the weight, weighs the car down almost like a passenger lol. plus id have to keep taking it out all the time...

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I love the hatch for the practicallity. I went on a week long rafting trip and we fit all the camping gear, food, clothing, drinking water and lifejackets for 6 people in the back (rear seats folded down) and I could still see out the back window! Also did a 2 week road trip to Oregon and down the coast this summer and fit all our gear in the back no problem. One night it had started raining HARD before we even got to camp to setup our tent, we just moved some of the gear into the front seats and slept in the hatch. I am 6'2" and I was able to sleep ok. I actually put the rear head rest back on (With the rear seat still folded down), upside down and extended it and used that as my pillow lol. Kind of ghetto but it works in a pinch for a tall guy.

I helped my brother move this summer and the cargo space in the mazda was actually very very close to the ammount of cargo space my dad had in his Grand Cherokee. So yea, you can cram a LOT of stuff in the hatch lol, I admit I picked it because I prefer the body styling though haha.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Looks/Style: I brought this up before, back in 04 when i bought my first mazda3 me and buddies where drinking, and watching TV, so a mazda commercial comes on and they have a sedan in some twisties, i was like hey that car is kinda nice looking but something is missing, i turn to my friend who say look back at the TV, it was the hatch, and it passed the sedan to put it into the spotlight. I ended up tradin in the Honda a week later :) Sorry sedan owners, but the sedan lacks style, it looks like to many other cars, or just to plain. There is good kits for the sedan to make it look decent but nothing fixes its ass

Versitality/Loading: I made a move about 6 months ago, and neighbors watch me take trip after trip from the car to the house, one neighbor came over and said "Is your car like a clown car? You have been unloading way too much for that little car" Funny yes, and also true, you can put so much in it, you can also lay down a 37" LCD TV with the factory box into the back. (That is big)

Keep coming back: Traded in my 2004 Mz3 Hatch for the new 2007 Ms3, i still love the looks and the MS3 brought a little facelift and extra power to keep me enjoying the hatch for longer :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
When I was thinking of buying a 3 originally I never even really considered buying anything but the hatch. It looks much sportier stock to me, and just the base hatch came with everything i wanted, the bigger motor tires rims etc. and having owned several 2 and 4 door sedans, for the size of the vehicle i find it much easier to load unload large objecta some of which where near impossible in other vehicles. I would probably consider hatch or wagon style compacts above any other in the future as well for my next vehicle. Its very practical. small enough to zip around and large enough with easy loading with the hatch to carry cargo when the need arises.

·
Registered
211 Posts
[quote author=greyzoomer link=topic=67577.msg1162683#msg1162683 date=1169495788]
I have the 3 sedan, but I'm thinking of getting a hatch or small suv.....still undecided which way to go though. Am thinking about the 3 hatchback as a possibility. Interested if any of you with the hatch can tell me how you feel about the room in the back of it, and if any of you with one has any pictures of the cargo area. Thanks...
[/quote]

I'll try to get a pic of the cargo area up for you tomorrow. It is WAY roomier than you might imagine...much more so than the cargo area in my girlfriend's Ford Focus ZX5 5-door hatch, plus the rear seats fold down further than in the Focus--not all the way to flat, but close. The rear window glass bows outward, which helps with space also. I've often carried two large dogs back there with the back seat up and it's no problem.

Plus the Mazda3 hatch is the sportiest car in its class. No mushy, lazy, artlessly rebodied Toyota is going to respond on the road the way a 3s does...let alone some tippy minitruck.

Compact SUVs aren't all bad; if you get a V6, the low-end grunt is nice, and the high load height is actually nice cuz you don't have to bend over to get stuff in and out of it. But you take a major hit in everything from driving fun to rollover safety to fuel economy compared to the 3. I've driven the Ford Escape, Kia Sportage and Saturn Vue, for about a week each, and while the Escape wasn't bad, I wouldn't own any of them.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some good info so far......thanks. I bought the sedan because I've just always had a sedan, but the trunk area is so small in it. I wasn't happy from the beginning with the trunk, but I wanted the sedan, so I bought it. Never even looked at the hatch in it, which in retrospect I should have done. Test drove a Honda cr-v when I was looking to buy, but I didn't really care for it too much. Didn't like where the automatic was placed in it on the dash. The salesman said that's a dealbreaker for some people that look at the cr-v. Road noise was really a problem for me with it when I tried it.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
IMO, the hatch just looks better and that was the main reason I bought it. After owning it, I realized I can get all of my softball team's gear in the back, and that's something I can't do even with my wife's '03 Accord.

Good looks and more functionality, what else is there? :p

Darryl

·
Registered
264 Posts
When I was younger, many moons ago, I purchased cars for their looks and performance and didn't care much about anything else. Now that I'm a bit older and a bit wiser, not much wiser, I purchase my cars by functionality in accordance with my lifestyle, then by looks (hatch looked better IMO), and then by performance. It happened that the 3 hatchback was a perfect fit for me. Although my wife thought I was nuts for wanting to get a "wagon", she didn't interfere with my decision because it was my car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
[quote author=greyzoomer link=topic=67577.msg1162994#msg1162994 date=1169505358]
[/quote]

I have a hatchback as well-and I like it. I am a drummer, a dog owner, and a cyclist. I can fit all my drum stuff inside with no problem. Without folding a seat, I can have my 125 lbs Rottweiler ride in the trunk. And, lastly, I can fit my mountain bike inside with the front wheel off and rear seat folded. Awesome!!!

I test drove the Matrix in two trims: standard Corrolla engine 5-speed manual and the 180 horsepower 6-speed manual. I didn't like either one of them as much as my Mazda. Even though Matrix has a little bit more room inside and has some neat plastic flooring and cargo tie down straps, the ride was nothing compared to the 3.

You sit high, almost in a minivan like position, and even with the 180 horsepower engine, it felt slower and less dynamic than the Mazda. 6-speed tranny was not very good and you have to rev the heck out of the engine to keep it going...

If you like driving and care about the specifics you will choose Mazda. If you like solid reliability and a bit more utility, you will probably get a Matrix.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Looks more aggressive with a wider looking stance in back, and fender flares etc. I like the overall much better for my own personal taste.
I also like the fact that there seems to be more headroom in the back, all the way to the hatch door. You can fit some very large items. For example. When I bought my winters, I didn't have them mounted right away. Waited nearly a month. I was very easily able to fit them all in the back with the seats folded down. Also a bike with the front tire still on, again very easy. Adult sized.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
[quote author=greyzoomer link=topic=67577.msg1162683#msg1162683 date=1169495788]
Re: Tell me why you like your hatchback
[/quote]

Good gosh! All them answers and you missed the big one:
It's not a sedan.

I've always been a wagon person - now with four dogs, even more so. Just ain't nothing like a Velo Hatch.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts