Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I waited a bit to write this up, since I wanted to try different settings and see how these held up before talking about them. I installed Tein SuperStreet coilovers on my M3 S Touring in September 06 (around 5 months ago). Impressions follow.

The order:

I picked these since I figured I'd regret not having the adjustability for height and firmness if I did just springs. Also seems like some folks had gripes with D2 so I passed on those. I ordered these from Race Inspired for roughly $1200. Slight backorder delay but overall no issues there. All the parts were there in the box, with only 1 or 2 sheets of instructions. One big diagram showing the 'exploded' view so you can see what goes where and a page or so of safety warnings, etc. It was enough to get me by as a newb but I would have liked to see more.

The install:

Getting the stock suspension off was a bitch, as seems to be the case with everyone (particularly the front). Luckily I had my neighbor's air ratchet to help get the upper mounts off the stock assemblies. The nuts holding the spring caps on were hella tight even though the car had about 3K miles on it total.

Overall the installation of the new parts wasn't horrible, but was time consuming. Took me Friday night, Saturday, and half of Sunday to finish it all, with about 8 total hours lost on stock suspension removal. Luckily I had a hand here and there from neighbor and a couple of friends. In the back, you have to re-use the stock rubber spring caps but they have to be cut, which is a bitch. I got it done with a box knife but they look like hell now, heh. If I ever take it apart again I may try to do a better job with a hack saw or something so it's more even. I did a quick test drive and heard horrible clunks and rattles. A few minutes later I found I had forgotten to torque down the sway bar end links in the back, after that it was fine.

Driving impressions:

As for the lowering aspect, it took some measuring and tweaking to get all four wheels at the right levels. I've only rubbed a couple of times when I was being an asshole and hit a steep driveway too fast. They dropped the car a moderate 1 1/2" but it's hard to go lower than that in the back for whatever reason. Maybe if I cut the rubber spring caps down better it would help. I'm satisfied with my drop but doubtless other kits are lower. I bought a nice jack recently but it no longer fits under the car. At 5 1/2" tall the jack is too tall to get under. The stock scissor jack still gets under though, and I use it to get the other jack under the car. I've torn south Houston apart looking for a racing jack but no one has any.

These are 16-way adjustable front and back (no EDFC yet), and the sheet that comes with it recommends "12" (1 being the hardest, 16 being softest). I started with 12 and it was damn sure stiffer than stock. Seams in the road, potholes, and parking lot slopes become VERY obvious. Overall I've learned to slow down but city driving on bad streets sucks. Highway driving on rough roads is annoying to say the least. At Christmas I bumped the setting up to 15 (one click from the softest) and it was noticeably tamer. Those three clicks made a big difference in the daily driveability of the car. Based on this, I'd be scared to see what the low settings are like unless I was on a track. Even at "15" the panels in the trunk that cover the spare tire still make noise when I go over bumps like railroad tracks (I think they just bounce a bit).

These coilovers, combined with my Kumho AST (225/45/R17) and the rear RacingBeat sway make for interesting cornering. I can whip the car around pretty good and take 90 degree turns in 3rd without trying. I can juke and jive between lanes with almost zero body roll and the car has no lag between steering inputs and response. As with most of my mods, I installed them too close together time-wise to appreciate the difference each one may or may not have made on its own.

I have no other experience with lowering springs or other coilover kits, so I can't say these are better or worse in that respect. I can say that they have held up fine, hardly ever rub, and perform as advertised. Visual inspection shows no rust yet and we've had a very wet winter here, though obviously we don't do road salt in Houston. I'd probably buy these again, though next time I might pay someone to install 'em. :wink:

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
they look pretty damn sweet

·
Registered
138 Posts
Looks good homie. How low is the drop in that pic?

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
dude, where have you been! 3 H-town meets have taken place in the last few months! Come out and show off

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL yah. I have a few more things to do on my car. Once they're done I'll be comfortable with serious car people seeing my ride:

1) red vinyl door panels
2) amp / subwoofer box
3) few more interior LEDs

I'll try to make a meet soon... :D

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
great write up......do you know if these ones can be set up with the Tein EDFC?.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
you've already got more than some people that come out.. its not a contest, just hanging out etc. There is a guy here locally who sells interior and exterior neons cheap hit him up, he will even install for u ((speedfreak89))

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
haha, yea man no competition. some of us have performance, some suspension, some nothing, some everything (damn you mario :lol:) just come out and visit!

btw im looking to do inserts also, red suede for me. dont know when ill get around to doing it though.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
haha, well i FINALLY got my bcc on order (got it slightly used from here) so ill have that and hopefully i can order some corksport engine mount inserts and have those to do if we ever get around to a mod meet. plus i want to do my advanced timing that i never got around to when i installed my intake.

wow, you think we hijacked this thread enough? :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts