Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I rarely post, but I spend alot of time reading all of your post, which always come in handy especially the "how to install threads", Thank you for those! Right after i got this car i got excepted to an art school in Los Angeles so all my dreams of modifying have been on a hold since mid 2005 except the stereo and shortshifter, which i had to have right away.

Anyway, christmas was good this year i got a number of items. This particular one i actually got for myself, last year i got all money for christmas and i never bought anything, except a trip to Spain and Paris (i decided to concider that purely an educational investment however) haha

if anyones interested i can take more/better pics, i just snaped of a couple crappy ones.

This is just basically an analysis of the ride quality, hopefully useful for someone who is concidering the kit but is up in the air on whether they will be happy with this particular set up.

Me and my buddy put them in. Im geting everything inspected by an authorized tein installer saturday, he's going to adjust them for me as well. A camberkit is definately nessacarry so thats on the list of things to get. My b day is up in april and i would like to think i should be getting close to some rims, maybe a little more into summer time. I dont really plan on doing all the alighnment stuff when i will be doing adjustments after the rims are installed, its bad.. but have to cut corners somewhere to save money, and i dont plan on getting 17's so these tires aren't the hugest issue at this point. The rear camber does not visually look horrible. it is noticable to an experienced eye but even then they wouldn't be like "damn that is so cambered it just cant look at it anylonger"..lol.. most angles i cant even notice, and im very good at spotting it, this angle will be the most obviouse but even here its a bit deceiving since you can see more of the rear profile than the front.

Im very happy with them so far. The ride quality is no where comparable to stock, you feel every last bump in the road, my girlfriends like "you probably are really enjoying this, it like a little dumm buggy" and i do enjoy it (except potholes make me cringe, guess they always did though). The first thing i thought was that "it felt exactly like my previous svt focus with an H & R cup kit (matched shocks/dampers with springs)" no bouncing or anything of the sort. Just sits on the road flat. That H & R kit felt very nice for a 2''+ drop so my comparison saying it reminds me of being back in that car makes me happy. The teins make the car feel much more confident in sharp turns (which makes me more confident as well :D) i wasnt paying attention in a parking lot and went over one of those deep dips pretty damn fast, and i was very impressed how nice they handled it. If i ever was to claim it to be similar to stock it would be because although the bumps are now more pronounced the way you feel in-control of the car during, and immediately after the bump, is as good as stock, in my opinion.. even better. At this point i dont have to go sidways over speedbumps, and havent had any trouble with steep inclines. Like i said im going to adjust them Sat. but its a TIGHT 2 finger gap, from what i measured from stock its about 1 3/4'' lower now, no wheel tuck but pretty low, almost perfect. I slammed the bottom of my header in the ground with the SVT because it was so low, but i dont forsee that being an issue with the 3 since the piping does not buldg out like the SVT's.
I like a real agressive drop but i plan to swap out the rims as i stated so the adjustment factor was the main selling point for this package. I will want it as low as possible without rubbing. At this point i have no issues with rubbing however i have not put 5 people in the car, i will get back to you. There are other options out there, but I've always wanted teins ever since this drifting show my buddy took me to a couple years back, he kept telling me they were the best and that always stuck with me. Funny way to make a decision but i did my reading before hand, and it seemed as right as it possibly could be without being able to test them.
I cant say enough good things about the ride quality considering how low i am, for me with this car the suspension was my biggest concern, im a student and daily commuter.. dont have much plans for the engine really, I need that warrenty (boy did they give it to me for the extended one ouuch! :shock:), im just going to except that mazda created this zoom zoom campaign and ripped us off when it comes to complimentry horses. So instead with this suspesion im going to steal g's! j/p
Im happy thats what counts, when i walk up to the 3 head on, it looks way more agressive (now i need a grill :D) and from the profile in real life it looks alot cleaner and very even. To the average person it prob just looks normal without upgraded rims. If you stick it next to a stock 3 anyone will notice it just looks that much better.. not to mention the performance! Well worth it, best mod. A big thumbs up for this kit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Very Good Review.. :goodjob: I also have Tein Basic coilover on my Mazda 3 HB and i agree with you, its alot better then stock, but hella bumpy. I love it.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I've got an extended review of the Basics here on the forums, but the last update was around 21,000miles on the setup. Since then I've logged about 35,000miles on my Basics w/o any problems. For the price and height adjustibility, you can't beat the basics. As for the ride quality, let's just say it's better than stock in terms of dampening after the first initial bump. :D

Things to watch for though...the teins are constructed out of steel. So make sure if you see any of the protective paint flaking off on the casing/damper body to touch it up w/ paint to prevent corrosion.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
The Basics aren't nearly as stiff as the SS kit. We have a basic kit on our mz6 wagon and it's soft compared to the SS kit on the mz3. But for a DD, the basic kit is awesome.

sok, he lives in Cali dude....what's rust? hahahaha

BTW, black mica sedan ftw!!!11!

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Speaking of corrosion, are there any coilover kids out there that won't have this problem?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
[quote author=AutoXer link=topic=66659.msg1144181#msg1144181 date=1168531777]

[/quote]

Heh...well there is Lake Tahoe. I just had to think up of something negative to say about the Teins, to counteract all of the positives. :D

...and you all know that white is the only color that suits the 3! ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[quote author=mica3speedy link=topic=66659.msg1143989#msg1143989 date=1168521703]
how much did the coilovers cost?
[/quote]
Fortunately I picked them up slightly used. I got them for $560

[quote author=sok07 link=topic=66659.msg1144106#msg1144106 date=1168527645]
I've got an extended review of the Basics here on the forums, but the last update was around 21,000miles on the setup. Since then I've logged about 35,000miles on my Basics w/o any problems. For the price and height adjustibility, you can't beat the basics. As for the ride quality, let's just say it's better than stock in terms of dampening after the first initial bump. :D

Things to watch for though...the teins are constructed out of steel. So make sure if you see any of the protective paint flaking off on the casing/damper body to touch it up w/ paint to prevent corrosion.
[/quote]

I actually did get a chance to read many of your post before i bought my kit. Thank you for the reviews, they were very reinsuring that i would be making a great choice.
A++ advise, very useful, i would have overlooked the paint chipping. It is flaking in the front strut, right where it mounts in, actually pretty heavily flaking (after installing it, i could see this being an issue for many people). The question is, what is the right/best paint to use? I will be curious if the authorized tein installer warns me about a possible corrosion issue when he inspects the front.
The Basics aren't nearly as stiff as the SS kit. We have a basic kit on our mz6 wagon and it's soft compared to the SS kit on the mz3. But for a DD, the basic kit is awesome.
[/quote]
That thought did cross my mind, a little stiffer would be nice, thankfully its not so soft that im regretful though. I say a little stiffer would be better but the next person may be unhappy claiming it to be to stiff, its nice that the SS kit and the Basic vary in that manner so people can also use that as a guide to helping them choose which teins will suite there needs best.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote author=sok07 link=topic=66659.msg1144419#msg1144419 date=1168540469]
[/quote]
[/quote]

I think it was menaspeed (if i am remembering the name correctly) that sold the deal for me on the black, however it was your car who made me question my decision

but black or white its all relative

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
[quote author=sok07 link=topic=66659.msg1144419#msg1144419 date=1168540469]

[/quote]

Heh...well there is Lake Tahoe. I just had to think up of something negative to say about the Teins, to counteract all of the positives. :D

[/quote]

You got that right :goodjob:

I'm thinking of switching over to coils come summertime, so thanks for the write-up. And I take it SS aren't the way to go for a DD? Either way, I'd be happy, but I've heard the SS has a bit of an advantage since you can adjust the dampening.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Well, my 3 is a DD and i have the SS kit, but then again, i prefer a stiffer suspension than most ppl. I'm just so used to a race suspension, that anything softer seems too soft to me. Although i did get the wife's aproval on ride quality, so it can't be that bad...plus i like to watch her bounce ;)

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
[quote author=AutoXer link=topic=66659.msg1144712#msg1144712 date=1168549413]
Well, my 3 is a DD and i have the SS kit, but then again, i prefer a stiffer suspension than most ppl. I'm just so used to a race suspension, that anything softer seems too soft to me. Although i did get the wife's aproval on ride quality, so it can't be that bad...plus i like to watch her bounce ;)
[/quote]

I'm sold (g/f bouncing FTW) :lol:

But seriously, I have the H-Techs, and IMO, they're soft. You can also adjust the dampening (firmness/softness) of the SS, no? Is that done with the EDFC or manually? Also, where'd you get 'em, how much, and did you DIY install, or shop it?

Ton of questions, I know, but I think it's going to be my next mod come summertime.

Also, I was looking at the Tein USA website, and it said our kit is only available without the pillowball upper mounts. Care to explain :)?

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Since this is a thread about the basic kit 8) some of your questions may be answered from this thread if not, i'll be happy happy to answer them there to avoid any more thread jackage ;)

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
[quote author=AutoXer link=topic=66659.msg1145382#msg1145382 date=1168568727]
Since this is a thread about the basic kit 8) some of your questions may be answered from this thread if not, i'll be happy happy to answer them there to avoid any more thread jackage ;)
[/quote]

Rgr that :goodjob:

Sedan, though (pukes)

Just kidding, just kidding.

I'll PM you if I need any more help/have any more questions.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
[quote author=Hexedit link=topic=66659.msg1144189#msg1144189 date=1168532249]
Speaking of corrosion, are there any coilover kids out there that won't have this problem?
[/quote]

KWs are made from stainless steel.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I also have the Basics. I live in Montreal, so salt + winter = rust

I'll be giving news this spring when I put my rims back on! I'll take pics also :)

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
It shouldn't be a problem in good ol' Florida, right? (rust). I mean, we get rain, but that won't effect it too much, will it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts