Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's automatic 2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback has the dreaded AT light and a scan comes up with the code U0101 which means the culprit is the Transmission Control Module (TCM). With the help of these forums and Google searching, I've already located the TCM under the battery box.

Here's my dilemma:

Rather than paying the dealer $600+ for a new TCM, I hit up two local salvage yards here in Hawaii. Both yards have MZ3's that are 2004 2.3 sedans with automatic trans.

I've gone to both sedans and could not find the TCM under the battery box :huh:. Do the 2004 sedan's have a TCM or is it integrated into the ECU? I'm hoping these 2004's do and that I am looking in the wrong place.... help!

· Registered
8,662 Posts
Wish I could help. I got into a manual trans model specifically to stay away from autos, and on my previous 2004 hatch (auto) I never had any issues with it.

Bump.

· Registered
228 Posts
I've gone to both sedans and could not find the TCM under the battery box :huh:. Do the 2004 sedan's have a TCM or is it integrated into the ECU? I'm hoping these 2004's do and that I am looking in the wrong place.... help!
I didn't validate yet but shouldn't your car have the 5-speed auto (FS5A-EL) automatic trans. I thought that replaced the 4-speed auto in the 2006 and later model automatic 3's... The TCM out of an 04 (if it has one) would be incompatible.

· Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't validate yet but shouldn't your car have the 5-speed auto (FS5A-EL) automatic trans. I thought that replaced the 4-speed auto in the 2006 and later model automatic 3's... The TCM out of an 04 (if it has one) would be incompatible.
Yes, wifey's 2006 MZ3 is the 5-speed auto and I was unaware that 4-speed autos were even available in eariler models.

I'm sure you are correct, but I just had to check with more knowledgable individuals to: #1 make sure I wasn't looking in the wrong place for the TCM on a sedan and #2 to try to save some money rather than payring $600+ on a new TCM.

Thanks for your insight!

· Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to add one last update as far as the TCM goes.

After calling the dealership (BTW they wanted $868.53 for a new TCM), the replacement part LE32E189E1D superceeds the previous version of LE32E189E1B.

I also found out that this partciular/compatible part can only be found in production year 2006 MZ3 5-speed auto hatch. Don't bother looking at 2004-2005, or even 2007 models for this part. :bash:

This should help and save time for those looking at junk/salvage yards for a used TCM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.