Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never had this problem before on my other cars...

But for example, it was 7º this morning, and I have roughly a 10-15 minute drive to work.. Lots of stops & goes, lots of traffic lights.
I watch my temperature gauge constantly, and it usually is halfway up the gauge when fully warm.

Well, on days like today, it stays maybe in the range of 1/4-1/3 of the way up on the temp gauge... It didn't finally read halfway until I made it to work.
Is this an indication that I should change my thermostat? Get a coolant flush?

The needle also never moves if I am stopped at a light... I've seen it actually go DOWN when I'm at a light... And it's not even near getting fully warmed up when it does this. It's only when I start moving again that there is any chance that it starts moving up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
[quote author=Wayfarer link=topic=138632.msg2987442#msg2987442 date=1236779449]
Never had this problem before on my other cars...

But for example, it was 7º this morning, and I have roughly a 10-15 minute drive to work.. Lots of stops & goes, lots of traffic lights.
I watch my temperature gauge constantly, and it usually is halfway up the gauge when fully warm.

Well, on days like today, it stays maybe in the range of 1/4-1/3 of the way up on the temp gauge... It didn't finally read halfway until I made it to work.
Is this an indication that I should change my thermostat? Get a coolant flush?

The needle also never moves if I am stopped at a light... I've seen it actually go DOWN when I'm at a light... And it's not even near getting fully warmed up when it does this. It's only when I start moving again that there is any chance that it starts moving up.
[/quote]
Mine did the same. I got a PCM update and the car ran much better.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So... This PCM update, is it listed on a TSB site somewhere?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did purchase a replacement thermostat today, and I'm going to try to install this weekend.
I am "hoping" that this fixes the issue.

Probably not a bad idea for a coolant change as well... Creeping up on 33k soon.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Regarding the coolant, my book states that it does not need a change until 75K miles, so why are you having issues at 33K? Maybe a thermostat, however, mine got corrected by updating the PCM and TCM.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what is a TCM?

Hell, while I'm at it, what does PCM stand for?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
PCM is "Powertrain Control Module", the brains of the car that actually runs the engine/transmisison etc. Not sure what he means by TCM.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=138632.msg2988177#msg2988177 date=1236802360]
PCM is "Powertrain Control Module", the brains of the car that actually runs the engine/transmisison etc. Not sure what he means by TCM.
[/quote]
Ok, cool... I kinda figured that's what it was... But having an Audio/Video background I kept wanting to say "pulse code modulation"...

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Yeah, it's a relatively new term. The PCM is a fancier, more feature-filled version of what most people refer to as the ECU. I still call it that, but PCM is technically more correct with a newer OBDII car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=138632.msg2988177#msg2988177 date=1236802360]
[/quote]
TCM is the Transmission Control Module. It works hand and hand with the PCM. In some TSB, such and Idle drops when the A/C is turned on, requires you to program the PCM and TCM.

·
Registered
72 Posts
[quote author=Wayfarer link=topic=138632.msg2987801#msg2987801 date=1236791706]
[/quote]

I read a TSB and the dealer told me today the thermostats for these cars have been sticking so the A/C and car will act up. This can be also the cause including updating the PCM and TCM for all A/C problems. Sometimes the dealers are not the smart or dont even care. I ave not found one yet that is good. I thought I had one today, but they crashed my car. See thread on that. I am still pissed.
See link. http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/pages.php?pageid=12

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[quote author=cjre1 link=topic=138632.msg2989139#msg2989139 date=1236824112]
[/quote]

I read a TSB and the dealer told me today the thermostats for these cars have been sticking so the A/C and car will act up. This can be also the cause including updating the PCM and TCM for all A/C problems. Sometimes the dealers are not the smart or dont even care. I ave not found one yet that is good. I thought I had one today, but they crashed my car. See thread on that. I am still pissed.
[/quote]

Which one is it on that link? I've read through most of them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
[quote author=Wayfarer link=topic=138632.msg2989714#msg2989714 date=1236861325]
[quote author=cjre1 link=topic=138632.msg2989139#msg2989139 date=1236824112]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Which one is it on that link? I've read through most of them.
[/quote]

Sorry, that I forgot to pull it.
Here it is.
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda3/bulletin/01-039-07-1842.pdf

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, so I had a shop replace the thermostat because I didn't have time to dick around with the idiotic placement of it. I had too much going on.

Anyway, the thermostat wasn't the issue. The mechanic told me about the water pump not giving enough pressure or something.
I dunno. He said the pressure went up when it was revved, but dropped down to a poor level at idle.

I'm going to have the warranty dealer take a look at it and see what they find.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts