Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tail light upgrade ./// got these from autopartswarehouse.com not my favorite's i'll be upgrading again back to a nicer version of stock... these are really bright and have a black housing... but im not too crazy about the fitment...

Attachments

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Big day for you in the lighting department! :cheers:

There have been many requests for info and pics on this forum. Can you take additional photo's and as manny requested, provide us with more info on fitment?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, well i guess what i mean by fitment issues is that these arent really perfect, definitly nowhere near stock-quality, basically one light looks slightly like its in-more than the other side, also the cut of the clear plastic is slightly wavy, and u can see glue marks all along where the housing meets the lens, heres a few more pics its dark out now ill take pics of the details tommorow... but you can see how nice and intense the l.e.d.'s are it came with a small control box but i managed to find a pocket to put it in, each ligh has one, passenger and driver, the reverse lights are all l.e.d.'s im not so sure they are brighter than bulbs, but they are definitly bright...

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i wanna try to do something with these, i wanna see if i can seperate the lens from the housing and tint it from the inside. i see now the smoked ones are on the market, i dont think i can put these in an oven tho... HA!

if i hit em with the heatgun they will probably warp.... i guess ill just wait till they fall apart on their own.... shouldnt be long now, i dont get any fogging at all... and its the very first thing i expected to see in bad weather... and bad weather we have as i am in north jersey.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ya I thought about opening them up too, I want to change the pattern of how they illuminate (I want to make them into rings like the G35) and I thought about painting the black a gun metal. But I'm 99% sure you cant bake em, gotta cut em.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
OEM tails you have to cut to get open since the plastic outer cover is actually molded around the body of the light itself. Since these are glued shut you should probably be able to melt the glue, though I'd suggest using a heat gun on the first try so you can more easily control the heat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hmmmm, didn't realize the difference between these and OEM, you just might be right as it does look like the lense are glued on. Worth a shot (luckily I kept my OEMs so if I screw it up I can put them back in). :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote author=PJ 3i07 link=topic=137643.msg2982904#msg2982904 date=1236597260]
hmm.. i wonder how cool those would look if someone opened them and painted all the chrome blackkkk :p :p
[/quote]

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.... me likey that.

and yea these are glued, doesnt look like super high quality either, i bet when i put them back on they should be better, i also saw a show the other day where they took a piece of plexiglass, put it in the oven until it was basically floppy like paper, and they warped them to fit and trimmed them, so it cant be that hard to re-make a new lens.

HOW ABOUT THIS.... remove the outer lens altogether, and leave them bullet tail lights... HAHA ... im so gonna try that first... i think i better buy spare lights.... this might get ugly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
[quote author=alex2004m3 link=topic=137643.msg2986002#msg2986002 date=1236716673]
HOW ABOUT THIS.... remove the outer lens altogether, and leave them bullet tail lights... HAHA ... im so gonna try that first... i think i better buy spare lights.... this might get ugly.
[/quote]

Wicked idea, I think it would actually look hot! The problem I can see is cleaning them would be a royal PITA!! Also you'd have to make sure the outside is reasonably water tight so you don't get a huge build up of water inside the housing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts