Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any real world gain in performance or protection in the engine when using synthetic oil? I have talked to about three different part shops in my area and I got a different answer at each place.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dude, I had no idea you were so close to me, Im in Crisfield, Md. And thanks for the reply, because i was clueless about the synthetic oil, Im gonna see how much extra it would be with my next oil change, then again, I do pretty well with my oil changes.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
If you're going to run synthetic, I highly recommend Pennzoil Platinum 5w20. There are always sales on this oil and it can be had for as little as $1.99/qt. Even if it's not on sale, it's one of the the cheapest (in price) Group III synthetic oils out there ($3.97/qt. or $18.97/5-qt. jug @ Wal-Mart). It's proven to be a great oil. I personally would pass on M1 because of "bang for buck" factor. Not to say there's anything wrong with M1, but you can get just as good if not better oil (ie - Platinum) for a cheaper price.

If you go with dino, Havoline, Motorcraft, & Castrol are all good choices.

BTW, you're not going to get any performance gains by going to synthetic.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Synthetics will last longer so you may have more performance compared to dino oil gone bad. heh

The best part about synthetic oil is it has room for R&D and can improve. Perhaps eventually it will obsolete Dino Oils.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I have just recently (280 miles ago) switched from $8 per liter Torco SR-1 5w-20 synthetic oil, to $.89 per quart (on sale monthly) Chevron Supreme conventional 5w-20. I just think that the SM/GF-4 5-20 conventional oils are so good, that it no longer makes sense to pay that high of a premium.

So far, I can't tell any difference one way or the other in the Torco vs the Chevron. I'm very detailed in terms of keeping exact mpg, so I'm going to see if I lose or gain anything from the switch.

Darryl

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
[quote author=mshu7 link=topic=72372.msg1276284#msg1276284 date=1174320349]
Keep us posted on any MPG changes Darryl! :)
[/quote]

You know I will :p

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I used synthetic oil in my bmw before I got the mazda, I was actually curious if I could use synthetic in my car as well (I prefer it) my first check up on the car with mazda is in 2 months which will obviously include my oil change, does anyone know if the dealerships use synthetic or if they use the conventional oils? I am going to ask when I get there, but from past experience what kind of oil do they use to put into the cars at their shops?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I think each dealership is different as far as what they use. Plus, you'll probably pay out the butt for a synthetic oil change at the dealership. If possible, change your own oil. You can use synthetic oil and still only have paid the same amount as you would the standard oil change at the dealership.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
[quote author=Phantom3 link=topic=72372.msg1276343#msg1276343 date=1174321265]
I used synthetic oil in my bmw before I got the mazda, I was actually curious if I could use synthetic in my car as well (I prefer it) my first check up on the car with mazda is in 2 months which will obviously include my oil change, does anyone know if the dealerships use synthetic or if they use the conventional oils? I am going to ask when I get there, but from past experience what kind of oil do they use to put into the cars at their shops?
[/quote]

my dealership uses regular dino oil but gives the option for Mobil1 (extra $)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Biggest advantage of high end synthetic is the life of the oil. While the debate over 3k oil changes will never go away, I don't know many who would use a dino for over 5,000 miles. Mobil claims 15,000 mile protection with it's EP blend. Amsoil/Royal Purple make similar claims that their oil can take the test of time and miles. So while these oils do cost quite a bit more, if you can run them for twice as long, or even 3x as long via Mobil, you really aren't paying all that much more to begin with. Not to metion superior hot/cold protection, and improved gas milage (I average 2-3mpg better with all synthetic fluids compared to dino). Synthetic, of any brand, makes the most sense to me.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
[quote author=mshu7 link=topic=72372.msg1276123#msg1276123 date=1174316933]
BTW, you're not going to get any performance gains by going to synthetic.
[/quote]

Just to clarify, when I say performance gains I'm talking about HP/TQ. Obviously, as others have stated, synthetic oil would have a longer "life cycle" than dino oil.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Synthetics utilize higher quality base stocks than conventional oils, so they often stay in grade better over extended intervals. They pass the same tests and meet the same basic standards as conventional oils, so there is no guarantee that every synthetic will outperform every dino even in extended intervals, and there should never be any noticeable difference in HP or fuel economy.

With the high standards that oils now have to meet, conventional oils are very good too. Here's a nice UOA of conventional Havoline 5W-20 with a 10K OCI in an '05 Civic. Note that this is not an extended interval since Honda recommends 10K or 1 year for non-severe service, which this driver qualifies for:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB3&Number=732290&page=0&fpart=all

I use 5W-20 dino in the summer and 0W-20 synthetic in the winter.

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=turmionkatilot88 link=topic=72372.msg1275942#msg1275942 date=1174312130]
Is there any real world gain in performance or protection in the engine when using synthetic oil? I have talked to about three different part shops in my area and I got a different answer at each place.
[/quote]
Complete wast of money. Regular oil is just as good. Change it regularly and your engine will not know the difference.

·
Registered
423 Posts
[quote author=alecshawn link=topic=72372.msg1281597#msg1281597 date=1174498808]
[quote author=turmionkatilot88 link=topic=72372.msg1275942#msg1275942 date=1174312130]
[/quote]
Complete wast of money. Regular oil is just as good. Change it regularly and your engine will not know the difference.
[/quote]

I have to disagree - there is much better performance. It last longer and lubes better. They made synthetic for a reason right? Since the cost for regular oil is creeping up to synthetic there is no waste of money. PLUS... running synthetic will give you more time to repeat "I really need to get an oil change today".

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
[quote author=D Bone link=topic=72372.msg1276260#msg1276260 date=1174319874]
I have just recently (280 miles ago) switched from $8 per liter Torco SR-1 5w-20 synthetic oil, to $.89 per quart (on sale monthly) Chevron Supreme conventional 5w-20. I just think that the SM/GF-4 5-20 conventional oils are so good, that it no longer makes sense to pay that high of a premium.

So far, I can't tell any difference one way or the other in the Torco vs the Chevron. I'm very detailed in terms of keeping exact mpg, so I'm going to see if I lose or gain anything from the switch.

Darryl
[/quote]

You sneaky little devil!! If I didn't have my $1.99 stah of QTorque & PP, I'd look for that Chevron in my area too!

·
Registered
759 Posts
[/quote]

I'd doubt it. Synthetic costs like twice as much as conventional. I think I saw Mobil1 Synthetic for like $4.99 somewhere. Regular old pennzoil was like $1.99. As long as you change your oil on time, there's not going to be a benefit to using synthetic. I used to use synthetic and thought it was the god of all gods, but in the end, it just makes your wallet lighter. There are claims it lasts longer and gives you some leeway if your a little past due on your scheduled oil change of 5000 miles, but in my mind it's just not worth it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
And just as a side note, when you ask someone at a parts store, who wants to sell you the most of everything they can, keep that in mind when they reccommend something. Not everyone is trying to cheat you, but many people are.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts