Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blatantly ripped this from another forum. My thanks goes out to the original poster.. Here it is.

I recently had two very interesting discussions this week with Mazda Canada on the subject of synthetic oil.

The Customer Service Manager (at head office, not a dealership), and a representative at head office BOTH said: the use of synthetic oil on ANY Mazda vehicle will nullify the warranty.

I asked the Customer Service Manager at Mazda's Head Office if this policy only applied to the RX-8 (where synth is not recommended), and I was told twice, No - that the policy applies to ALL Mazda cars sold in Canada.

Mazda Canada apparently doesn't care if the synthetic oil is 5-20 and meets all API and ILSAC specs. It nullifies the warranty.

When I pointed out that there is absolutely NO documentation in our owners manuals banning synthetic, they replied that nevertheless THIS was the official policy of Mazda Canada for all vehicles.

The reason I called Mazda Canada in the first place, is that I wanted to know if it was permissible to use a synthetic 5-30, because as we know, there are very few synthetic 5-20's available. Just Amsoil, and now Pennzoil, and Castrol Syntec (very new). Most Mazda dealerships in Canada don't offer a synthetic 5-20 oil change, and instead were putting in synth 5-30's.

Head office for Mazda Canada says not only will Synthetic 5-30 nullify the warranty, but so will the synthetic 5-20!!

To me, it's outrageous. But that's what they said: twice and unequivocally.

The funny thing is that the DEALERS themselves (I polled 6 of them in the Toronto area) say a synthetic 5-20 is fine for the warranty, as long as it meets specs.

I think Mazda Canada had better clean up its act, and inform both its customer AND its dealers what its official policy is IN writing, or we're going to see some serious lawsuitsin future years, if engines start to fail.

ASIDE: I asked Mazda Canada why a synthetic 5-20 would nullify the warranty on an engine that calls for a 5-20, and I was told (again on two separate occasions) is that the problem with many synthetic oils is that they "do not burn", and that Mazda engines are not meant or designed to work with oils that have this property.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Not sure about Canada but in the US that isn't a legal policy. The law here is that they dealer has to prove that wheatver you did (modification or whatever) is what caused a failure before they can refuse to fix the failure under warranty.

I suspect that in reality that isn't actually the policy, I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it in writing from a Mazda of Canada official source.

99 out of 100 times when you can a company's customer service number your getting some minimum wage flunky that doesn't actually know anything, but has to act like they know everything.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just the messenger here :)

Thought i'd pass what I read.. I actually have no intention on switching to synthoil.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Probably the most silly thing about all this is that the 5w20 oil that the dealer uses if a synthetic blend.

If your not going to switch to a full synthetic (Mobil1, Amsoil, Redline or European Cadtrol) I wouldn't put anything else in the engine besides the Mazda/Motorcraft stuff.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
In reality they won't even know that you are using a synthetic oil. They would need to test it and they wouldn't do that unless they suspected something was wrong with it, such as it draining out black.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.