Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been searching forever, and there is just such a deluge of information.

I want to know what color, name and type of bulb that I need to switch out of my current factory headlamps to have them match my factory headlights. I have the level adjusting H.I.D's up top and want the same color and brightness down low. Can I just switch bulbs or do I have to buy an entire conversion kit?

I have a 2008.5 Mazda 3 GT, live in Canada...don't think that would matter.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
For actual HIDs you will need a kit with ballasts (and preferably a relay/wiring harness), not just bulbs. To match the OEM HIDs you want something in the 4000-4500K colour temp range. There are so-called HID match halogen bulbs but I can't say how close they really are. Most just seem to be coated with some blue pigment that reduces light output.

The bulbs should be 9006 but you are best to verify with your owner's manual. If you want to be definitely certain, undo the 3 screws holding the splash shield between the wheel well and the bumper and pop out a bulb for eyeball verification.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: switching factory foglamp bulbs to hid to match the headlamps. 2008.5 Mazda

thank you for the quick reply...i will go the proper route and replace the ballists i think...i want true hid not just coated bulbs. Any idea where i can get these?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Of the vendors I know I can only recommend dabears2k.com. They sponsor the forums and have very good prices. But since you are in Canada whatever price you see on their site will be pretty much double by the time it gets to your door, what with shipping to Canada, currency exchange and customs/duty/brokerage/handling. Plus taxes. If you don't mind paying approximately $200 Canadian then give them a try. Otherwise see if you can find a Canadian vendor.

And you don't have any ballasts to replace. The OEM HID headlights have ballasts but you won't be touching any of that stuff. The HID kit for the fogs is completely separate from the headlights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts