Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm an 06 civic SI owner but my wife and I are considering a MS3 in the next year. We live in PA (hence the name) and don't have loads of funds.

So, a concern is the stock summer tires. Furthermore, I'm a big believer in slashing weight (especially heavy wheels that aren't wide enough).

My idea, if we were to purchase an MS3, is as follows:

I'd ask the dealer if I could swap in the stock wheels/tires for a preset amount (say $1200-1500, as an example). I would then order a set of 17x8 lightweight wheels (motegi traklites, OZ superleggeras, wedsports, something simlar) weighing in between 14-17 pounds. I would shod them with something like a pirelli p-zero nero m+s or toyo proxes 4 in 235/45/17 (which, according to my research, would pretty much match the stock wheel/tire height).

I think the extra sidewall height might be a good thing for the MS3; and of course the extra width of the tire. The lower weight of the wheels/tires is a prerequisite, as I've heard the stock wheels are pretty heavy.

Lastly: if the price of the wheels/tires went over any dealer credit, I would expect to finance the additional.

So my thoughts are: do you think a dealer would go in on this plan? Would the tire/wheel width create any problems? Are there any issues that I have not named? Does anyone feel this is not a good idea :)

I prefer 17s over 18s in most applications for performance purposes. I do not want to stay with 18" wheels if I can avoid it. Also, If the wheel/tire swap couldn't occur I would consider simply swapping tires.

Joe

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I don't think you would be able to get the dealer to give you 'credit' on the stock wheels. They usually don't like to do that sort of thing.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Welcome to the boards!! A fellow PA'er! Where you from in PA?

I agree with Speed3me, I would be very surprised to get any credit for the wheels. Your best bet would be to sell the wheels and use that $ towards your desired set. Only problem is from what I've seen, the wheels aren't selling very well, at least not on these forums. Good luck with whatever you decide!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi gents,

Thanks for the posts...I've heard of some dealerships doing "credits" for various makes...but it isn't the norm. To me, it'd be somewhat of a condition.....

I live in the West Chester, PA area...and work near King of Prussia. I enjoy "fun" cars; the SI has helped me realize that I need at least one car with lots of torque.

I think the MS3 will fill that bill nicely :)

But I've always been surprised that a car with so much more power than the SI has the same width tires stock. The MS3 needs, IMO, at least a 225/40/18, if not 235....then maybe it could allow more power to come on without inducing torque steer.

Greatly looking forward to test driving one. It will somewhat rely on my wife's impression of the car when we see it (hopefully) at the Philly auto show on February 4th or 5th.

Joe

P.s. I'm also somewhat praying that an 08 model offers heated seats....it'll be easier to sell her on it if her posterior is warmed :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm only about an hour from you Joe, and I think your best bet would be to try and bargain with the dealer for a better set of tires on the factory wheels. Then you can use them in the winter, and buy other wheels/tires for the summer. I don't think the dealer would even consider a wheel swap unless the other wheels were mazda wheels.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
thoughts...
17's arent a bad choice, hell 16's are possible if you arent concerned with looks, but some turn in will be compromised if you stick with a similar to stock circumference.
I dont know the likely hood of a dealer trade on the tires, but anything is possible.
it was mentioned that the stock 18's arent selling well, however I have yet to see a set for sale, so not sure where that info came from.
I have a feeling an 08 model will be a direct copy of the 07 with the exception of a new color or two and maybe slight ecu tweaks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've always thought of 17" as one of the ideal sizes for daily driven cars; whether it be an Acura TL or a Porsche. It offers a thin enough sidewall where turn-in, steering response, and crispness is mostly dependant upon sidewall construction. While at the same time offering enough rubber to provide fair comfort with even stiff tires.

17" tends to offer some lightweight options up to 17x8.5...my favorites are the motegi traklites in 17x8 as they are about 14 pounds. And these options are still affordable.

Anyway....to match stock tire height with 17" wheels (while going wider) you need to go to 235/45/17....this happens to be a very popular tire sizing (for sport luxury sedans) and offers alot of great tires.

Some dealers are willing to go the extra mile, some aren't. I've typically taken my business to dealers who go that extra mile, as it's a better experience. I guess we'll see when the time comes if they are willing to negotiate on it :)

I have a feeling if I make it a deal maker/breaker, that most would at least try to find a compromise.

But then again, I could be wrong.

I'm really looking forward to feeling the MS3s engine after driving the SI for awhile. I haven't driven a torquey car in quite some time.

Joe

·
Registered
329 Posts
[quote author=CosmicBlueMS3 link=topic=66701.msg1146270#msg1146270 date=1168622412]
thoughts...
17's arent a bad choice, hell 16's are possible if you arent concerned with looks, but some turn in will be compromised if you stick with a similar to stock circumference.
I dont know the likely hood of a dealer trade on the tires, but anything is possible.
it was mentioned that the stock 18's arent selling well, however I have yet to see a set for sale, so not sure where that info came from.
I have a feeling an 08 model will be a direct copy of the 07 with the exception of a new color or two and maybe slight ecu tweaks.
[/quote]

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=66557.0

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=62872.0

These are the two sales I've seen on this forum, as far as I know they haven't sold yet. I was looking b/c I was interested in selling mine as well, but I decided not to.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I stand corrected.
800 for bare rims is a bit steep, but the 825 with tires isnt bad at all.

·
Registered
443 Posts
There was a set (tires, wheels, no TPMS) that went for $850 on eBay. There is also another set that's on eBay right now with a Buy It Now price of $850.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts