Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
431 Posts
ok. so i lowered my car two days ago on pro-kit and i've noticed that any time a go over small bumps , my car would make a " cluncking" noise . It comes from the front driver side . i also changed one of my studs on that side and had to take my rotors and calipers apart. It sounds like one of the pads is loose and rattling inside the caliper. i visually checked without taking the wheel off, and everything seems to be in place.
i know it's a long shot, but does anyone have any ideas what it could be before i have someone take a look at it.

· Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i turned the wheel and checked all the bolts that i touched when i had to take the strut out and they looked like there was no way they could turn anymore.
also, i've noticed that when i'm braking and go over bumps there is no sound. that makes me believe it has to do with brakes.

· Registered
14,062 Posts
looked like they couldn't?

Well they probably won't look like they can anyways when they have the weight of the car on them lol! You need to jack it up and remove a wheel and actually torque it down.

99.999% of the time when there is loud popping/clunking sound on any corner of the car it's one of the endlinks.

· Registered
721 Posts
looked like they couldn't?

Well they probably won't look like they can anyways when they have the weight of the car on them lol! You need to jack it up and remove a wheel and actually torque it down.

99.999% of the time when there is loud popping/clunking sound on any corner of the car it's one of the endlinks.

In my experience(a lot of it):

If you can be driving on a perfectly smooth road and you can make the clunking noise by steering the wheel back and forth rapidly(to make the car body pitch left and right)... it is end links.

Struts, control arms, tie rod ends, etc won't ever do that unless they are just SO far gone that you are probably in serious danger driving the car.

End links are the single easiest thing to diagnose IMO because nothing else suspension wise almost never is as easily duplicated.

As for the OP's noise... if it goes away when hitting the brakes then I'd look at the brakes. Look at the brake caliper bracket mounting bolts in particular and make sure they're torqued to spec. Make sure the pads are sitting correctly and that you didn't forget or lose the caliper spring. Without that in place the calipers will make all kinds of racket. Of course check the caliper bolts as well.

edit: Nuse is right on the money... bolts don't care about how tight they look... they'll fall out or fatigue and snap if you don't have them torqued to the right spec.

· Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. The caliper was not bolted all the way....

· Registered
99 Posts
Yeah, I don't think that's it. Got the wheel off and tried to check if it is tight enough but without a proper socket tool I couldn't really check 100%.

I have a workshop booked for wendesday to do few other things as well, so will ask them to investigate the noise.

As suggested in this video it might be something to do with pads (I had discs and pads changed few weeks ago).

http://youtu.be/BN5DJ9Y3uGY

· Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. In my case both of the bolts that hold the caliper were barely tightened.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.