Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the SP23... the dealer says that a sunroof is not an option.

Or it is an option but I will have to sign a declaration of sorts saying that Mazda or the dealer will not be liable in the event of an accident... that is because roof support beams will need to be cut to install the sunroof and will weaken the roof section of the car!!!

Mazda stuffed this one.... plus the fact that there is no higher option for an audio system! audio is a big part of the car (well at least to me)... and it's not possible to install an after market unit... :?:

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm probably going to sound like our evil mod Dinu, but please enter your location in your profile. Makes for a friendlier forum IMO.

Sunroof not a factory option, but usually are available as a dealer fit option. As for cutting the support beams, that can't be right because remember, Europe and NA model have factory sunroofs as an option. Sounds like your dealer just doesn't want the hassle.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spook.... hope my location activation thing worked... I'm not forum savvy.....!!!

thanks for the response, I thought it was a bit suss not offering a sunroof since i've seen heap of pics with them.

Any idea on the audio. Shame that event the SP23 has only 4 speakers (2 extra tweakers don't cost much!)... The dealer said that eventually with a software upgrade the units will play MP3 CD's but that's it...

All in all - nice machine...

·
Registered
35 Posts
yes aftermarket units are available ( sort of )

1) you can leave the stock head unit and just add amps, speakers etc.

2) you could add an aftermarket deck in the glove comparment

3) you could remove the stock unit and put something special in its place

but back to topic... my dealer said sunroof option would cost $1900 and take three days :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Shop around.

I'm sure aftermarket installers could put something in for a little less money, and that is exactly where your dealer is gonna take the car

·
Registered
267 Posts
And its more than a software upgrade that will make the unit play MP3's. Its a c-player swap. There's a small din-sized box inside the dash which is your CD-player. That gets swapped out with a seperate unit for MP3. I know... I just got mine done. And I have the old CD player as proof.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But has anyone come across the "sign a waiver and void warranty" story that my dealer gave me?

Also, does anyone know if the sunroof is a tilt out roof - or a moon roof style...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Elmo said:
But has anyone come across the "sign a waiver and void warranty" story that my dealer gave me?

Also, does anyone know if the sunroof is a tilt out roof - or a moon roof style...
i was also quoted $2300 for this sunroof from an aftermarket company...

http://www.sunroofcentre.com.au/products/sunroofs/s700.html

when i asked the dealer, they didn't mention any warranty issues ( but then again i didnt ask! ) and i haven't ordered the car yet...

·
Registered
42 Posts
The reason a sunroof is not available from the factory in Australia is because the strengthening beam had to be installed in the roof to comply with the tough ADR rules for rollover.

Hope that helps

Kman

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
true... kman...

That's what the dealer was on about.. apparently the safety regs in Australia are more stringent than in other countries. It leaves the question as to whether the strengthening beam is really all at important...

I think dealers just want to cover themselves in the event of any accident with a mazda dealer fitted sunroof!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts