Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with the sun/moonroof, did you also opt for the sunroof deflector? If yes, does it really help with the wind and noise?

And can anyone see anything pro/con with a deflector?

Thanks for the input.

Kevin

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have one, carried over from my P5... I haven't put it on yet, waiting for the spring to do that... but yes I feel they really help with wind noise and I have noticed the 3's roof seems noisier than other cars I have driven (without deflectors). I hate to cover up the nice aluminum deflector bar that comes on the car but i gotta do it.
Some don't like the look of them, car doesnt look as sleek or low but function over form wins here!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a sunroof but no deflector. I have driven with the roof open a few times and found it's surprisingly quiet. IMO you don't need a deflector.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've driven with mine open on the highway and have no complaints. I think the little aluminum piece does just fine. The again, I'm comparing it to my Wrangler w/no top.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Mine (MZ3sportgt) is quieter than my last protege's lx 2000. I'm thinking that I won't need one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
"Me Too." Normally I'd go for the extra moonroof deflector, but I've found that the 3 is quiet enough without it, even on the highway.

·
Banned
868 Posts
I actually find the moonroof quite loud. My previous car was an Acura 1.6EL...without any sort of diffuser at all.

However, I DO love the sexy little aluminum popup that comes out when you retract the roof :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
I found it ok under 60km/hr with the moonroof open full.. but any faster the wind buffing becomes an issue. .. I usually have to lower the window a bit to balance it. I would get the roof deflector when they come out.. together with the side window deflectors.

The roof deflector can also work as a sun shade when the sun is right above you.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I didn't get a chance to have my moonroof opened when driving. (coz of the weather)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I agree with 2k1_bug , on the higway around 80-100kph, the wind buffing is extremely noisy.

Not sure how the wind deflector would affect the styling of the car, or even the aerodynamics. I got a bug deflector put on, and there's a wind whirring noise when I go over 80kph. Brought it to my dealer and they said it's due to the bug deflector. Sure enough, I take it off, no more whirring noise.

-- stokkes

·
Registered
157 Posts
i find it to be very loud when the sunroof is open at speed. my 95 civic sedan (with no deflector) was definitely quieter. but it is a minor annoyance, certainly not something that would drive me to install a deflector. in my opinion some look ok, but most are ghastly eyesores. depends on how much they stand out (size, shape, color, etc.).

·
Registered
219 Posts
I agree with TellyDSP. My 2001 Wrangler made more noise at 35 with the top up than my 3 does at 100 with the roof open (I have a hard time going slow). The deflectors look good on certain cars and colors. I had one on a civic, and it was o.k. It did make a difference, but it looked a little cheesy. If you can set one on top before you mount it (it's not coming off very easy). Then see how it looks. Like I said they work, but IMO the stock roof is fine, and it looks nicer.

·
Registered
159 Posts
open the windows and it is incredibly quiter and less turbulent... hiway, 80 mph, sunroof open is too noisy.... :cry:

·
Registered
420 Posts
speedmaster said:
open the windows and it is incredibly quiter and less turbulent... hiway, 80 mph, sunroof open is too noisy.... :cry:
I second that. My old '99 Altima was no where near as noisy as the 3 with the roof open driving interstate speeds. I'll just have to deal with it though, cause there is no way I'm putting a growth on top of my car!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I went to my local car parts store and bought a deflector I think made by SunShade...It looks cool and really reduces the wind noise even at highway speeds. I reccomend this if you are getting too much wind noise. It is dark smoke and applies with 3M double stick tape. Kind of a pain to line up by yourself but can be done. I will take some photos of my car tomorrow and post them up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts