Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I'm pretty quiet in here, but post once in a while.

I have a set of dedicated winters(Dunlop winter sport) and its time to order summer ones. I drive spirited and would wish for a good grip, low noise and a reasonable tread life. From reading on the forums, the General Exclaim UHP(http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Exclaim+UHP&partnum=05WR7EUHPXL&i1_Qty=4) seem to fit this with a good price point.
Any of you have better suggestions?

I'm on stock wheels right now, so I'll be going for a 205/50R17 size. I'm saving for rims to buy next summer. Will I have a tough time finding wheels to fit this size?

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
I like the Sumitomo HTR zIII's I've been running for a year. They aren't the flashiest tire (tread) but they are sticky for the price and seem to wear okay so far,

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just got a set of the General UHP's. Nice tire, comfortable, good traction, fairly quiet. Great price. Drove in the rain this morning, handled standing water very well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I might suggest reading through this thread: /index.php?topic=139651.0 from someone else in our area looking for summer tires (though she's looking for 225/45/17). 205 tires will fit on 7" wide wheels, someone else will have to confirm if they'll fit on 7.5" wheels. However as you've seen once you move up to 225/45/17 there's a lot more available. Sorry I can't suggest any tires myself, I've just put my RSAs with 4000 miles back on, I'll be in your position in 12 months :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
[quote author=Werty link=topic=140317.msg3024856#msg3024856 date=1238353519]
I might suggest reading through this thread: /index.php?topic=139651.0 from someone else in our area looking for summer tires (though she's looking for 225/45/17). 205 tires will fit on 7" wide wheels, someone else will have to confirm if they'll fit on 7.5" wheels. However as you've seen once you move up to 225/45/17 there's a lot more available. Sorry I can't suggest any tires myself, I've just put my RSAs with 4000 miles back on, I'll be in your position in 12 months :)
[/quote]

hello fellow MA'ers :)
thx Werty! i was going to suggst to do the same thing... but i have to say, my poll and thread has made the decision even harder! ;) i'm ordering tomorrow.. and still not 100% decided, haha.

i'm actually probably going to just order through the local tire place (nearby my work, direct tire in natick).. with the mounting & balancing charges when not ordering through them, the savings of ordering online are very minimal and you don't have any benefits like free rotations and free patching if needed.

ps: bluehash- might want to change the car model in your profile

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone.
So I have to decide between:
General Exclaim UHP
Sumitomo HTR ZIII

Just one more question, will 225/45/17 fit my stocks good? The tire calculator(http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html) says I'll have a 0.4% increase in the speedo reading. The 225 is also considerably cheaper.

@myst3- Changed my profile.
Saw your thread. Good luck with the buy. Any pics of the car? Couldn't find any.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey I work in Waltham :)

Unfortunately 225/45/17 is too wide to fit on the stock wheels - they're only 6.5". Unless you're able to get the new wheels now, you'll have to get 205/50/17s for the stocks then once you get the new wheels either transfer them over or get a fresh set of 225/45/17s.

You may be able to save a little money by putting 215/45/17 on the stock wheels but they're 1.8% too small.

·
Registered
879 Posts
i also have the Sumi HTRIII and they are fine. Missed a great chance to test them in rain yesterday but so far they are good.

I used to have other Generals on a previous car, and I'd never recommend Generals. IMO they are crap. I went through 4 sets on my last car (replaced under warranty) because they were failing so much.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the i/p vtrin.

@Werty: Thanks. I work at Waverly Oaks rd. Maybe can meet up some time.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Makes it even better :) . Maybe we could all meet.
I keep flashing my lights at all the HBs, none reply. Oh! maybe some day.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to complete this thread, I got the Sumitomos HTRIII. They are quieter and stick to the road. Handled good in the rains yesterday. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Congrats, I'm glad you like them. We had an hour of snow down here yesterday :lol:

BTW I work on 5th Ave (Prospect Hill), other side of town from you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts