Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on picking up an in car camera mount, camera and recorder and associated equipment, and am looking for some recommendations on brands/models and so forth. I have heard something about a single chip processor being better vs the multi processor (image stability) models of camcorders?

well, please let me know what you are using and would recommend for auto crossing.

Main concerns are image stability and resolution (max possible).

thanks in advance,

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hehe yep, bugged cosmic already and he had some great info for me ;)

just wanted to get some other input as well.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
keep in mind, you want the camera's to be light as possible. The video I linked you to last night (the 53 meg one) shows the car hitting over 1g over and over and over, and if you have a heavy camera, it could pull off and thwap ya in the skull at the wrong time. If you go with a regular type recorder, I suggest you only use it with a harness bar or headrest bar of some sort. Lots of people use it, but for me suction cups were prefered since I have yet to own a car that has a harness bar made for it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
[quote author=Mattleegee link=topic=71210.msg1251046#msg1251046 date=1173156088]
www.datatoys.com
[/quote]

I just picked up one of these mounts and I am expecting it to be in anyday (the suction cup one). I will be using a Sony PC-109 (miniDV). This is the same camera I use for skydiving. Sony is the only brand out there that can withstand the abuse of freefall speeds. No other brand last nearly as long as Sony (just goes to show something about the quality). Also the miniDV format is the only format that can be used to capture video during freefall right now for the most part (harddrives for some reason do not like the altitude). I was assured by datatoys that the suction cup mount will hold my camera setup. I am not sure if I am going to use my wide angle lens yet, I need to see where I am going to mount the camera. I plan to get some pictures up as soon as the mount comes in.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
for my mounting solutions i use the stickypod

www.stickypod.com

My camera's i've used are the Sony TRV-33 and the HDR-HC1. The sticky pod works great and has held on tight for some great runs inside and outside of the car.

·
Registered
329 Posts
[quote author=CosmicBlueMS3 link=topic=71210.msg1251399#msg1251399 date=1173180572]
keep in mind, you want the camera's to be light as possible. The video I linked you to last night (the 53 meg one) shows the car hitting over 1g over and over and over, and if you have a heavy camera, it could pull off and thwap ya in the skull at the wrong time. If you go with a regular type recorder, I suggest you only use it with a harness bar or headrest bar of some sort. Lots of people use it, but for me suction cups were prefered since I have yet to own a car that has a harness bar made for it.
[/quote]

Begin temporary :hijacked:

Cosmic, I think this is the longest you've gone without changing your avatar. When can I expect the new one? That guy is freaking me out.

End :hijacked:

Sort of on topic to save face: I can't wait to see more in car videos!

·
Registered
439 Posts
[quote author=kokemon23 link=topic=71210.msg1251629#msg1251629 date=1173194987]
[quote author=CosmicBlueMS3 link=topic=71210.msg1251399#msg1251399 date=1173180572]
[/quote]

Begin temporary :hijacked:

Cosmic, I think this is the longest you've gone without changing your avatar. When can I expect the new one? That guy is freaking me out.

End :hijacked:

Sort of on topic to save face: I can't wait to see more in car videos!
[/quote]

Haha... and I thought I was the only one who thought that!! haha I was expecting to see this guy in the video clips..

·
Registered
388 Posts
man, I kinda like his avatar...

anyway, I went up to the mountains this morning (took a personal day)
and came up with an interesting idea for a poor man's camera mount.

I took my digital camera and wedged it under the head rest
of the passenger seat. It was a little low, but it did return an
interesting video of some twist action. :metalcord:

i'd offer a pic of what I'm talking about but it might be a little
difficult to take a picture of the camera I take pictures with.

·
Registered
335 Posts
As far as I know, image stabilization (as found in camcorders and P&S cameras) is only useful for still scenes. If the camera is moving, image stabilization will result in a very jumpy image. Unless there is some better technology I'm unaware of...

·
Registered
388 Posts
no image stabilizer. and the video wasn't too jumpy, the road was
too curvy and will cause motion sickness to all those who see it.

It was as if you we're in the passenger seat looking straight ahead the
whole time.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
[/quote]

is this new avatar more to your liking?

ive been working on my dance moves for ya!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
[quote author=CosmicBlueMS3 link=topic=71210.msg1253296#msg1253296 date=1173241383]
[/quote]

[/quote]

hey there big boy!

·
Registered
329 Posts
[quote author=CosmicBlueMS3 link=topic=71210.msg1253296#msg1253296 date=1173241383]
[/quote]

[/quote]

:lmao:

It gets the kokemon seal of approval. Those are some sweet dance skills :bananadance:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts