Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANY SUGGESTIONS WHICH WOULD BE GOOD TO GET?
I WANT TO CHANGE MY SPEED 3'S HI BEAMS, THE SITE HAS ULTRA WHITE AND TITANIUM WHITE. DO YOU THINK THERE'S A BIG DIFFERENCE? I WANT MY HIGHS TO BE REALLY BRIGHT BUT IS IT WORTH PAYING AN EXTRA $24 BUCKS, SHOULD I JUST STICK WITH THE ULTRA WHITE? (sorry for the caps, i'm not angry forgot to turn the CAPSLOCK off)
THIS IS THE WEBSITE:
http://www.streetunit.com/MazdaSpeed_3_replacement_high_beams_bulbs_p/lhw9005.htm

Anyways, Do you think the these bulbs will match the HID LOW beam light? I'm really looking for something that matches the low beam as in color but, maybe even brighter.

As for the fog lights, i'm still trying to figure out what to do. I was originally thinking of trying to match my fogs with my lows, so it would be white. A friend of mine suggested I go yellow because it doesn't reflect the rain that much and you can see better, but i was looking at the distance of the fog light and they obviously don't go that far. And he'd say it'll look more like a lexus, which I would care less. Another friend said to buy a yellow filter so I would not even have to change the bulb which would protect the lens from pebbles, etc...... I'm not planning to spend so much on this upgrade, I'm just bother that lows are HIDs and everything else (HIs and fogs) are plain.... any suggestions? I'm up for it... Thanks people.

P.S. I Forgot another friend said to change them all the HIDs? I'm not too savy about this, are there any places selling HIDs for fogs and the whole headlight set...This seems to expensive but, i'd like to know for future reference. Thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Those bulbs are coated with something to tint their light to "HID-LIKE" color. Anytime you coat a lightbulb, you're going to reduce its output. SO, you may have something that looks like HID (although I doubt it does, probably one of those super fake really blue-looking bulbs), but it won't be as bright as it would be if it didn't have the coating.

Just buy some of the Sylvania Silverstar or Silverstar Ultra lights. http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/Products/ProductComparison/default.htm They're going to be bright and "whiter" than a regular halogen bulb, without the fakeness of the blue-tinted version. Check the comparison on that link between the "cool blue" and the Silverstar. Notice how the Cool Blue says "for style". :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
[quote author=BrandonC link=topic=71511.msg1262554#msg1262554 date=1173706797]
Those bulbs are coated with something to tint their light to "HID-LIKE" color. Anytime you coat a lightbulb, you're going to reduce its output. SO, you may have something that looks like HID (although I doubt it does, probably one of those super fake really blue-looking bulbs), but it won't be as bright as it would be if it didn't have the coating.

Just buy some of the Sylvania Silverstar or Silverstar Ultra lights. http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/Products/ProductComparison/default.htm They're going to be bright and "whiter" than a regular halogen bulb, without the fakeness of the blue-tinted version. Check the comparison on that link between the "cool blue" and the Silverstar. Notice how the Cool Blue says "for style". :)
[/quote]

Silverstars are coated too. Thats how they get their white color.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You sure about that?

Headlight color can be manipulated (within a specific range) by the gas content of the bulb and the wattage that they're driven at, in addition to coatings.

Even if they are coated, they're still going to put out more light than the "HID look" bulbs. The reason for developing Silverstars is for increased lighting performance, the reason for developing HID-look bulbs is to look like HID's. Lighting performance is going to come in a distant second to making the right color.

I like this quote from the link that the OP posted:
"Using a premium coating creates the deep blue appearance which makes for a clean white light simulating HID, which simulates sunlight."

So are they deep blue or clean white? :?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you want an "HID-look" color or the brightest light? Those are going to be somewhat mutually exclusive.

I would recommend the Silverstars. They have a pretty white/slightly bluieish output from in front and a nice white quality of light from the driver's seat.

·
Registered
124 Posts
[quote author=BrandonC link=topic=71511.msg1262969#msg1262969 date=1173721993]
You sure about that?

Headlight color can be manipulated (within a specific range) by the gas content of the bulb and the wattage that they're driven at, in addition to coatings.

Even if they are coated, they're still going to put out more light than the "HID look" bulbs. The reason for developing Silverstars is for increased lighting performance, the reason for developing HID-look bulbs is to look like HID's. Lighting performance is going to come in a distant second to making the right color.

I like this quote from the link that the OP posted:
"Using a premium coating creates the deep blue appearance which makes for a clean white light simulating HID, which simulates sunlight."

So are they deep blue or clean white? :?
[/quote]

yes, go look at them.

·
Registered
549 Posts
There's a whole 'nother thread about SilverStars. The gist of it is, There are SilverStars that are coated, yet there are some old in other countries and more than likely marked Osrams (Sylvania bought them I think) that are NOT coated and they are whiter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts