Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of using a 12" sub on the rear deck for an infinite baffle setup. Is there enough room for a 12" sub there (center of the deck)? I would find this stuff out for myself, but the signature explains my dilemma.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
In the hatchback, a 12" wont fit on the factory cover. I measured it and the piece that doesnt lift with the hatch is about 10". The total of the panel is about 20" from edge to edge.

2 ideas come to mind: you can do 2x 8" in an infinite baffle. It would sound very tight because the slope of the rear windshield.

Another idea would be to build another hatch cover out of 3/4" (or even 1/2" but double up where the woofer will be mounted) for a 12" and have the whole piece (from the rear seats) raise up with the hatch.

Both would work. Ive build a hatch cover for my GTI and it was a walk in the park. IMO, I would go with 8s. Reason being is Ive noticed the first time I did an infinite baffle 12" in a Integra there isnt a way to seal the trunk area enough with the baffle itself, sounding like it was a badly tuned port.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Well if thats the case, it wont fit. I havent seen many rear decks bigger than 12". I could be wrong though.

Another idea for sedan owners is to build a sealed/vented box. Basically, the box has 2 chambers. The side where the speaker sits in is larger than the other. Why its called a sealed/vented is because one side is sealed, one side is vented. The vented side gets an opening (your choice on how big, but usually 1/3 of the size of the vented portion, square) and gets attached to the rear deck. If sealed correctly, no port noise will be heard and the sub will play very hard and loud.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well once I drive the car home next week, I will be able to confirm/deny the possibility.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, no preouts what so ever.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Very nice.

Looks like to me he bottom-mounted a baffle and cut a pretty big hole. Quick downfall to that idea is, unless the rear deck is braced, it will rattle. Another idea is he cut the whole rear deck, and made a custom panel to fit over all of it.

I musta got the wrong idea at first. I thought u wanted to cut a 10.5" hole in your rear deck and mount it that way.

Oops, didnt mean to be mis-leading.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, there are a bunch of ways to have an IB setup. Maybe I can use the stock rear speaker locations and place 10s or 12s below them firing up. I'll investigate later!

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Instead of a single 12", build a SS box for a long throw Dynaudio woofer and send the end of the port a flared exit up on the rear deck.

Box would only hang maybe 4" from the rear deck. And it would be wicked tight bass.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Go ahead and get a good 10" sub that has deep frequencies. I think the 3 can fit that. Another thing is that the Mazda6 Bose system does that same thing, there's 10 inch sub in the rear deck.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So now that I have my 3, I can finally say this will all confidence and know that I am correct:

Its impossible to put a drivers of any size onto the rear deck and have its sound come into the front cabin as it should without major cutting. I didn't realize the rear speakers were in the doors... not on the rear deck. All that's there is a lot of metal.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I woulda figured the rears were on the deck as well.

Give this a try: 10" in the spare tire well with a port. Might sound wicked. Some ED subs can sound sooo clean in small enclosures.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I might do a fiberglass enclosure at the extreme rear right of the car in the trunk. Seems like there is some space there to work with. Spare tire well is also an option since I have AAA and really don't need a dinky temp tire.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Ditto, I gotta ditch the spare so my amps will fit.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts