Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months ago I pounded my spare tire well into a convex shape so I could mount the tire upside down. I finally got around to building the box with MDF board, fleece, and fiberglass...
Here's the spare tire covered in foil to catch any drips

The humble beginnings, with a rock holding tension on the fleece. The green stuff was a "gel" fiberglass filler I bought by mistake.

Let the bondo begin

Let the sanding end

Carpet and finished enclosure

7.5" deep well for 10" sub, 1 cu. ft. sealed enclosure

Finished product, with handy amp rack on the side for future use

·
Registered
49 Posts
It looks pretty cool. You will have to get a cover for the sub otherwise you won't be able to use your trunk... And then there is always the problem that you have to deal with if you get a flat tire lol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The spare tire is under the sub enclosure, which just lifts out. You can see it under the tin foil in the photo. I will get a grille shortly.
The fleece was covered with thick fiberglass mat. It's pretty indestructible. The Second Skin Damplifier and Luxury Liner Pro are on the way. That's another project altogether.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Looks really good dude nice work. I like your idea of flipping the spare over. I've never seen that before.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
looks awesome man

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good idea with the spare, when you hammered it down did you reattach it or just set it in there. Could you post a pic of what the tire/ hammered down tire harness looks like now? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
[quote author=as1an_1nvas10n link=topic=140006.msg3093121#msg3093121 date=1241044679]
thats pretty nice, but what if you get a flat tire on the road?
[/quote]

Did you not pay attention to what he was saying? You lift out the sub and the spare tire is right underneath it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts