Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week during the deep freeze here in Montreal, the wiper mount cracked and evenutally broke and the wiper was loose, so I went to Canadian Tire and bought new wipers while waiting for time to go to the dealer to get it replaced. So I finally have time today to pass by and they tell me that wipers are not covered under warranty and that I'd have to pay for a brand new wiper, since they don't sell only the little plastic mount. :evil: I'm so pissed off! The car's barely 2 weeks old and they don't want to replace it for free. I'd have to pay 18$ plus tax for a new wiper. So I told them screw it, I'll buy some other one instead. For 18$, I can get a nice aftermarket one. What a piss off!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the dealer/problem experience with your MZ3. Unfortunately they're all like that. I trust those guys to give me a break as much as I trust a hungry vampire to leave me alone.

Don't worry, whatever wipers you bought are better than what's already on the 3. The Canadian wipers on the 3 are garbage, just like the tires, or even the easy-scratch, cheap plastic finish in the interior. The little things don't work well, but the big things do. That's a good thing though. Cost cutting in the right places :)

Anyway, my wipers stick constantly, and I'm always having to baby them. I never had that problem with Honda OEM wipers on my old Civic.

Anyway, dealers can eat it. That's all I have to say.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'd go talk to my salesguy but yeah it's hard to fault the service department, quite often they have to follow their guidelines or they get spanked. Definitely sucks but I wouldn't let yourself get too upset over it it's not worth the medical bills. ;)

I actually am pretty happy with the wipers on our car. Bosch wipers (the same they use everywhere just FYI) are pretty well regarded. And the easy scratch interior? Umm how about you don't treat it like a truck?

·
Registered
12 Posts
$18 for a wiper??? What kind of wiper did you get?

My OEMs (on my Matrix) lasted a very long time (2 years minus a month) and I had to replace it last week....at minus 22. UGH.

I got a 20" blade from Esso for $12!

I've seen Walmart POS wipers for $5!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
18$ for the stock Mazda wipers. That's what I said to myself... the stock wipers sucked more than a high power vaccum cleaner, so why pay that amount for the same crappy ones when I can get better ones for half the price. I am not pissed off at the 18$. If, after 2 years and the wipers break, I'd pay 30$ for wipers if I wanted to stock ones. What I'm pissed off at is the principle. The freaking car is less than 2 weeks old and something breaks, it would be the right thing to do to change it free of charge, no matter if the car is under warranty or not. To have a pissed off customer for a matter of 18$, IMHO, is not worth it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
For sure I would think the wiper should be swapped, if you feel that strongly about it I'd seriously talk to the salesguy about it, like I said often the service department's hands are tied, not to make excuses for them since I don't know if that's exactly the case here.

Anyways be careful with those Canadian Tire wipers. I ended up replacing those on my Pro5 more often than not until I went back to the factory wipers, the Cdn. Tire ones would bend and become useless far quicker than the stock ones did. That's my experience but I'm pretty anal about how clean my windows are, I typically change wipers at least once a year, previously twice a year when using the Cdn Tire ones.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cowtown said:
Anyways be careful with those Canadian Tire wipers. I ended up replacing those on my Pro5 more often than not until I went back to the factory wipers, the Cdn. Tire ones would bend and become useless far quicker than the stock ones did. That's my experience but I'm pretty anal about how clean my windows are, I typically change wipers at least once a year, previously twice a year when using the Cdn Tire ones.
Will definitely have a little talk to the sales guy... and inquire about my XBox at the same time. As for the Canadian Tire wipers... I bought the winter ones, which work quite well for me. Will probably get the Aeroblade ones for the summer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
cowtown said:
I actually am pretty happy with the wipers on our car. Bosch wipers (the same they use everywhere just FYI) are pretty well regarded. And the easy scratch interior? Umm how about you don't treat it like a truck?
Actually, from what I've seen treating it like a car is plenty enough to scratch it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wait, isn't the factory warrenty "bumper to bumper"?

I thought you paid $18 for a Cdn Tire wiper...dealer price feels right. Dealer items are always priced pretty badly. You can get Bosch at cdn tire (can't you?) for a better price than $18 I'm sure.

I just got the whatever wipers I could find on short notice (hence the Esso station purchase!).

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yeah, scratches are easy to get on the interior. Check out your glovecompartment door (or batcave as I like to call it). I have a few scratches there that I hope to buff out just by putting my backpack down in the footwell.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I don't like the stock wipers. I have used Bosch before and they always streaked just like the ones on my 3 do. I would like to get Trico wipers. They are inexpensive and come standard on most cars. I was able to find wipers the same length at an auto store, but does anyone know the exact numbers for the right adapter? I couldn't find a wiper assembly that matched the 3's.

·
Registered
882 Posts
They are good, obviously there can be misses or less than desirable results with some people. Such is life I guess. :) Certainly the best stock wiper setup I've owned at any rate.

And crazy me for putting things in the trunk/hatch area so I don't damage my interior. ;)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Nope

I'm not talking about putting anything that will scratch the car in the car.

I end up scratching everything I touch in the car. Open lids, open the glove compartment, put change in the cup holder in the centre console. Scratch, scratch, scratch. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Re: Nope

factrzero said:
I'm not talking about putting anything that will scratch the car in the car.

I end up scratching everything I touch in the car. Open lids, open the glove compartment, put change in the cup holder in the centre console. Scratch, scratch, scratch. Cheap, cheap, cheap.
don't use your nails to open those storage compartments :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used to use these "TRI" edged blades on my truck. They were really great. Never streaked or skipped, I actually bought a set thinking it would fit on the 3, but they dont. Since the listings at Canadian Tire are not updated to include the new 3, what number blades should i be looking for?? The same as a Pro 5??? I really want to change these stock blades. having an unclear windshield is one of my pet peeves. Any help would be great. Thanx

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Speaking of wipers. I was driving in the rain for about 5 hours a few weeks back. I started to notice a buildup of "something" where the passenger side wiper would stop. I don't know what that "something" was. It was a pale white translucent color. The driver side wiper exhibited the same buildup but it was streaking across the windsheild in the same curve as the wiper.

Is this a salt buildup? When I stopped at a gas station I tried to squeegy the windsheild but it wouldn't come off. A few days ago I used some glass cleaner on it and it seems to have helped. I often thought it was because of wipers that needed replacement in previous cars; this is the first time I'm actively inquiring about it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Kazbaeden said:
http://www.mazda3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=679

After reading this thread I was under the impression that the stock wipers were good... what gives?
there's nothing wrong with the stock wipers other than it's a summer wiper and it's winter time (for us canucks anyway). If you insist on using light weight wipers with no protection over the sliders, they are going to bind eventually,especially if you are getting any freezing rain or heavy snow. Once they start to bind, stick, or are forced to remove heavy snow, they will bend and become useless. I changed mine over to winter wipers the day I got the car and intend to change back in the spring - as you are supposed to. And if you ask why summer blades are not under warrenty after you have used them through some pretty rough winter weather down east.....

·
Registered
744 Posts
I bought Trico wipers as Pepboys for $18. The sizes were 21-1 and 19-1 for Trico specifically. If someone tells you that the wiper blades that they have won't fit on the Mazda3, ask them to try some of these sizes (21" and 19") out on your car because the blades that I got have been around for awhile (a few years at least) and they fit perfectly.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts