Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it would be interesting to post a few pictures of big things owners have been able to squeeze into their hatch / trunk space. Since I sell electronics, it would be good for me to see examples of like a 32" or 36" tv in the back of the hatch. But even having the ability to lay down a big piece of artwork would be great.

EDIT: Thread title :twisted:

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
nice pic... looks like we can turn the Mz3 into a "6 or 7 passenger car" if necessary.

I'm most concerned about transporting my bike and snowboards inside the car. If I would be able to stand my bike (without it's front wheel) upright in my car that would be great!

·
Registered
481 Posts
i havent had the chance to load up my 3 hatch since its a nasty winter here right now... come summer ill see how it does with bikes and such.
in my P5 i fit a tandem bike (2 seater) in with the front tire off :D

·
Registered
273 Posts
at a locla dealership they had a 3 in the showroom with a bike rack with 2 bikes on top and one of the back seats folded down with a LOT of camping supplies packed in there

this thing is perfect for a family with one child on a long trip

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I will take a picture of how I usually stuff my car for DJ gigs..... When I get it back from service in two weeks.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DJ Spencer said:
I will take a picture of how I usually stuff my car for DJ gigs..... When I get it back from service in two weeks.
I actually had you in mind when I created this post. Can't wait!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
MazdaSpeed3 said:
[I actually had you in mind when I created this post. Can't wait!
Neither can I!! Unfortunately, I still won't know when I get the car back until Monday at the earliest - and they would still have to ship the part, meaning probably as much as 2 weeks (that's how long the fuel pump too, about 12 days).

Trust me though - with the 5 megapixel camera, I'll make a pretty pic for you. :)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Sorry... I have the pics, just haven't formatted them for web use yet (they are all high res 5.0 megapixel - that's a BEWARE DSL, not just 56k).

next day or two. Maybe tonight if I'm feeling up to it.

I was too busy trying to get some of the Hoen shots up (which I finally did, see the Gold Sponsors section). Still have to finish that series of pics though.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Pics of my stuff...

Okay, so here it is. Basic cargo weight is approx 300lbs. You are looking at:

- Mackie SRS1500 = 88 lbs (15" Subwoofer, self-amplified)
- Mackie SRM450 = 55 lbs (12" Woofer + 1" Cone, self-amplified)
- Mackie SRM450 = 55 lbs (12" Woofer + 1" Cone, self-amplified)
- Pioneer CD Players, Rane Mixer, DJ Coffin = approx 60 lbs
- Blue Tub full of cables and connectors and stuff = approx 35 lbs
- Add the cart and stands, plus lights = approx 15-20 lbs

The Goal:
To stuff all of this....
(reference, that is a 100/200 CD Case Logic binder at bottom of pic)

...into this...

STEP 1 - Protect Thy Car

STEP 2 - Speakers, Music, DJ Coffin (speaker stands and coffin X-stand behind front seats)

STEP 3 - Subwoofer, Blue Storage Bin

STEP 4 - Cart

Now fully loaded! :cool:

It lowered the rear a little bit (compare the rear wheel wells), yet still some room to go up inside the car, but I still fear breaking a window. One advantage the Mazda3 has over the Protege5 is the rear hatch. Because of the way the glass curves, it allows taller object (like the sub at 2 x 1.5 x 2 feet) to sit without touching/rubbing the rear window.

EDIT: Has anyone noticed that the fiberglass shelf doesn't seem to be coated on the bottom? I have to wear gloves and a coat to take it out, otherwise I cut my self to death and itch like crazy!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Has anyone let their large dog ride in the back with the rear seats up? I know they offer a pet guard fence in the accessories in france, I was wondering if my Rottweiler will be comfortable back there. It would probably be the first thing I get for my 3.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
It's my car, if you don't like it, I don't care....

csweeney said:
Damn, that's a lot of stuff to fit into that little car.
:bananahump: Well, I thought about using some other photos, or maybe a video, but then I decided that it wasn't appropriate behavior for a public web site.

MazdaSpeed3 said:
Holy $hit! How does the car handle under all that stress in the back?
Actually it handles very well. In theory, it's like having two small to average adults in the back seat, except I spead most of the weight over the entire cargo area behind the driver. When I had my Protege, it would start to slide, but in the 3, I still have decent "get-up-and-go" and great handling. Of course, will all that in the back, I don't drive it like a race car, but if I'm only going down the freeway, I'll still go fast, pass cars, all that.

I'm very happy with it. Now once I get the windows tinted, I won't be so worried about someone breaking into it! :cool:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts