Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, got a 3 with 80k on it. Looks like the shocks are gone in the front (been lowered on the pro-kit for 65k now).

So explain to me, if the shocks are gone, and i order a set of coilovers, does it essentially replace the shocks, springs, and struts? Or just the shocks and springs? Would i need to replace the struts as well as the shocks after this much mileage?

Also, recommend me a nice set of coilovers, as i havent really kept up with the good ones lately. Not sure what exactly to search for as far as newer versions of coilovers go. If you can, also point me towards vendors.

How easy are wheel bearings installations?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Yes, a complete set of coilovers will replace everything: springs, struts and shocks. The Mazdaspeed coilovers are always a great choice and would probably be what I'd personally choose. KW Variant 2 are very similar. H&R also a good choice. If you want something solid but a bit cheaper, BC is popular.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=139056.msg2996771#msg2996771 date=1237188532]
Yes, a complete set of coilovers will replace everything: springs, struts and shocks. The Mazdaspeed coilovers are always a great choice and would probably be what I'd personally choose. KW Variant 2 are very similar. H&R also a good choice. If you want something solid but a bit cheaper, BC is popular.
[/quote]
probably has been beaten over the head obsessively, but what are some good places/prices on these coilover sets, and where can i find them (vendors)? There is just so much info in the search to wade through...

Edit: actually, if you can point me towards a good vendor for JUST shocks (probably koni's, because i have a pro-kit)... let me know. Im looking at the FSD 2100 complete kit. Also, if im replacing JUSt the shocks, does that replace the struts too? Or would i have to purchase those seperately too..?

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
dude just so you know...the bc coil overs SUCK. ive hated these things since i put them on. i no longer have the stock stuff and its been 6 months since i put the crap on. its MURDER to drive around my back is in shambles. the car feels like im running on 4" steel wheels down the central part of a railroad track. plus i rub everywhere i go. hell i rub in a straight line sometimes lol

·
Registered
695 Posts
The shocks and struts are basically the same thing. The strut really is just referring to the metal rod that move in and out of the strut housing (read shock). So when you buy koni shocks or bilstein shocks or mazdaspeed shocks, it replaces the whole housing and strut. basically it replaces everything except the spring.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=SuperProtege5 link=topic=139056.msg3010181#msg3010181 date=1237760434]
The shocks and struts are basically the same thing. The strut really is just referring to the metal rod that move in and out of the strut housing (read shock). So when you buy koni shocks or bilstein shocks or mazdaspeed shocks, it replaces the whole housing and strut. basically it replaces everything except the spring.
[/quote]
ok. Good explanation man. So, if you havent seen the other thread, i was lookin at mazdaspeed shocks... those seem to be pretty good, right?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've read the other thread and from what everyone says they ae good shocks. To me it's a better chocie if you are one that is afraid of warrenty problems, although when I upgrade I'm likely going with the Koni yellows.

·
Registered
695 Posts
very true. really comes down to where you find the best deal and what your goals are for the car. also depends if you want adjustment or not.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
My coilovers are for sale! I'd go with either mazdaspeed coilovers or kw or ARK, since i have used the ARK. As for shocks and struts i'd go with koni yellow hands down.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Check out Adam at THMotorsports (forum sponsor). Great prices and service. I bought my Koni Yellows from him.

I almost bought my KW Variant 2 coilovers from him but decided to buy them from a local shop.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
yep, he's always giving good deals. Get rear camber links from him too if you plan on lowering it more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts