Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
A strut bar is basically a method of stiffening up the chassis by placing a bar between the points where the struts attach to the body. A sway bar, on the other hand, is a bar that attaches to the moving parts of the suspension to lower the amount of body roll you feel when you corner.

A strut bar won't do a whole lot unless other parts of your suspension are stiffened up already (i.e. springs, shocks, sway bars)

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I've had experience tuning these components, only it was on 1/10th scale.

Thicker Sway bar = less body roll left/right. Too thick and it reduces suspension movement to a point that you'll lose some traction.

Strut Brace = more structural rigidity or less chassis flex. Too much of this too can be a bad thing depending on the application. You are essentially forcing the springs/shock setup to function as the sole suspension the more braces you put on. This may not be desirable in some cases since chassis flex acts as a form of suspension. Sometimes the shocks & springs were tuned to account for the chassis flex and this could be thrown off... (Maybe not in our car though)

I'm just saying: "Strict segregation of function is not necessarily the best setup."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts