Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha to all.... welll my story starts with strut replacements .... left intermediate axel arm unsupported which then pulled apart ...so replacing that part and not having a torque wrench I of course overtightened the axel nut till it stripped out....now I can't get it off and of course it won't tighten up to desired torque setting .....my question is how do I get the old nut off so I can see if I damaged the threads and require a whole new part or if I got lucky and can get away with replacing only the nut? Three steps forward 2 steps back seems to be my motto when it come to wrenching.. HaHa
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
422 Posts
You probably need to carefully cut the old nut off with something like a dremel and then replace the damages axle (and nut) with new ones, this time using a torque wrench. If you don't have the proper torque wrench, then borrow one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I had to practically jump on my 3 foot cheater bar to break it loose....i'm 260 lbs by the way..... so i stood on same bar when tightening and Voilla stripped her (and hardly knew her). what is the best way to cut it off as there isn't alot of room there in the hub in which to get a tool

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You probably need to carefully cut the old nut off with something like a dremel and then replace the damages axle (and nut) with new ones, this time using a torque wrench. If you don't have the proper torque wrench, then borrow one.
I already ordered one ! I know day late and a dollar short.....

·
Registered
387 Posts
... what is the best way to cut it off as there isn't alot of room there in the hub in which to get a tool
IMO you're never going to be able to cut the nut off without significantly messing up the hub with the cutting tool. So why not just replace the hub/bearing, which is not going to be a huge amount of $. That way you can just go after the nut hard and fast with an angle grinder/dremel, in whatever combination works best for that job. If you don't have bearing tools, you can take the knuckle to a shop and have them press the hub/bearing, for hopefully a reasonable cost.

And I'll also tip my hat to you for coming on here and being completely honest and straightforward about what you did. You made a mistake, which all of us who DIY have also done (many times over in my case). And you've also learned how important a torque wrench can be, which is a big plus for you going forward with DIY in the future. You'll almost certainly end up with the job done properly, and the satisfaction of having done it yourself, which is all that ever really matters to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IMO you're never going to be able to cut the nut off without significantly messing up the hub with the cutting tool. So why not just replace the hub/bearing, which is not going to be a huge amount of $. That way you can just go after the nut hard and fast with an angle grinder/dremel, in whatever combination works best for that job. If you don't have bearing tools, you can take the knuckle to a shop and have them press the hub/bearing, for hopefully a reasonable cost.

And I'll also tip my hat to you for coming on here and being completely honest and straightforward about what you did. You made a mistake, which all of us who DIY have also done (many times over in my case). And you've also learned how important a torque wrench can be, which is a big plus for you going forward with DIY in the future. You'll almost certainly end up with the job done properly, and the satisfaction of having done it yourself, which is all that ever really matters to me.
Thanks for the response..... I' m not worried about looking like an idiot here just some advice on going forward . I live in rural Hawaii and am retired on a fixed income so I try to do what I can when it comes to my vehicles maint. and service as shop prices suck over here and quality of some of the work is questionable sometimes I appreciate the suggestions >...Mahalo

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can definitely cut the nut off with a Dremel. Don't worry about messing up the hub. First, when you get the Dremel cutting wheel down close to the threaded hub, give the nut a whack on its face...that will likely just break the remaining metal of the nut and it will come loose. Even if you get the Dremel cutting wheel down to the hub threads, no big deal -- it is not going to affect the integrity of the hub.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can definitely cut the nut off with a Dremel. Don't worry about messing up the hub. First, when you get the Dremel cutting wheel down close to the threaded hub, give the nut a whack on its face...that will likely just break the remaining metal of the nut and it will come loose. Even if you get the Dremel cutting wheel down to the hub threads, no big deal -- it is not going to affect the integrity of the hub.
I ended up giving the axel 3-4 sharp whacks with a 4lb hammer then tried slowly turning the nut and voila it caught the threads and came off.... have new stabilizer bar ordered along w/ new controlarm /ball joint and tie rod end replacement as long as I have everything apart ( car has 135,000 on it and lower ball joint rubber showed signs of failure ). So thanks to all of you who responded to my posts should be back on the road shortly!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.