Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been using a K&N drop-in filter with my 2.3L MT 3 ever since it was brand new. It seemed to drive very smooth for awhile. After about 6K miles I noticed the engine sounded a little louder and there was some vibration both in the clutch and engine when revving or shifting. The biggest annoyance was that I found it hard to get a smooth take-off and the engine and shifting didn't seem as smooth anymore. The K&N filter was cleaned and re-oiled following the directions before it was put into this car. The filter is in great shape.

I finally removed my K&N drop-in filter from my car just the other day, and put the stock filter back in. Wow the difference was huge! My car feels very smooth now. The vibration is gone, the engine is smooth, and it's easy to get a smooth take-off and shift. I'm amazed how much of a difference this has made, and I'm baffled as to why the K&N was creating those problems. I didn't mind the difference in the sound and the increased throttle response since that is what I expected, but the I'm not sure how the filter created the vibration and roughness with the engine. I just know that I'm sticking with the stock filter until I decide to get an SRI.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
When you cleaned your K&N, how long did you let it dry before you re-oiled it? If the filter is still wet it stops a lot of airflow.

Also, over time the oil from the filter can get on the MAF sensor - occasional cleaning is required.

From personal experience I have found that the drop in filters aren't worth the money anyway, get a proper intake - even better get one with a dry-flow filter.

TIM

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was concerned about my filter being dry, so I let it dry in the window for 2 days before oiling it so it should have been dry. Hmm I did oil it pretty good, but I let it set for awhile before installing it. I even called K&N because I wanted to ask about how much oil to use. They said you cannot over oil the filter. The problem may have something to do with that. I have pulled the MAF sensor out before though and I don't remember seeing any oil.

I see why getting a dry filter can be better. I'm gonna use the stock filter for now until I get a SRI or CAI with a dry filter.

[quote author=Tim25 link=topic=139907.msg3015564#msg3015564 date=1237952674]
When you cleaned your K&N, how long did you let it dry before you re-oiled it? If the filter is still wet it stops a lot of airflow.

Also, over time the oil from the filter can get on the MAF sensor - occasional cleaning is required.

From personal experience I have found that the drop in filters aren't worth the money anyway, get a proper intake - even better get one with a dry-flow filter.

TIM
[/quote]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts