Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i first got the car just about a month ago i checked the oil and it was dead nuts on the full mark. i just looked at it again last weekend and it was a few click over the full mark. what gives :huh :dunno: :tense:

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Well, maybe the oil fairy secretly added some oil late at night while you slept :p j/k. Did you check it in the same spot? If so, my guess is it wasn't all the way in when you checked it the first time. As you should know by now, this dip stick has to be inserted at least 2 or more times to get a proper reading.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
was the car the same temp before each reading? liek was it sitting overnight or did you check it after you got home after using the car for a bit etc.

not sure if that has anything to do with it, but i would think it may be something... otherwise got me, maybe someone else has an idea

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
sounds like an angle thing to me. if the dipstick read towards the front or rear of the pan it would read heavy due to more surface in the oil.

i'd start to worry if the oil suddenly vanished though.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
both checks were done in my garage and both times the car was started up in the morn and taken directly into the garage. multiple pulls were done each time.

·
Banned
38 Posts
I don't know to what degree it applies to this car, but oil may take some time to drain down from the head. Perhaps if you try letting the car sit for a few minutes after it's been run?

·
Registered
403 Posts
That is odd, I had the same thing happen as well. I checked my oil early on and it was right on the full mark. I just checked it at a gas station yesterday and it was about 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch over the full mark. I'll check it again and see if the same thing happens again. Weird.....

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I check my oil first thing in the morning before starting the car in the same spot at least twice a month. I've never noticed an increase.
In fact I don't see how that's possible (all else being equal such as temp, incline etc.) unless some other liquid is getting into the oil or it's not being read right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts