Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is a new one, as far as I know. It has been about -15 (Cel) here in Toronto for the past couple of days.

Everytime I drive my MS3 for the first 15 - 20 mins of driving there is a sound that seems like the tires rubbing when I go over bumps. As the car warms up the sound goes away. I doubt it is tires rubbing as I don't think them warming up would make that big a difference (I am running 225x45x18 on the stock rims BTW), and have not had any rubbing issues so far.

I have no idea what it could be, some theories are maybe when the bushings are cold they are very noisy, or maybe the shocks lose pressure when cold and lose some compression allowing the tires to rub on bumps. Although frankly both of these seem far fetched to me.

Any ideas, anyone with similar problems?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have the same kind of noise with my winter tires which are 205/50/17

I think it's the suspension thats making the noise though I could be wrong.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well, add me to the list. Really noticed it for the first time today. I assumed I had ice/snow build up in the wheel well - that's what it sounded like. But I looked, and there was nothing. I wonder if in really cold weather something in the shock damping system doesn't work right and makes noise....

·
Registered
115 Posts
This morning was a mild 9 degrees F and I noticed a loud friction noise from the suspension when going over bumps. This is on top of the cold loving P2006 CEL I already have.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Add me to the list of folks with this problem. It seems to only happen when it's well below freezing, but it's pretty annoying. I'm going to have the mechanics check it out next week when I take my car back for them to work on my cold weather-related engine issue (presumably the IMRC). This is trip number three to the dealer, but I think they're getting serious now.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a pretty common problem then. I guess I will mention it next time Im at the dealer. When I drove the car this afternoon, the temp had warmed up to -5 (cel) and guess what, no noise, clearly it is from the suspension and is temperature related.

It is damn frustrating to have these kinds of problems though, it certainly appears to me that the car was not properly cold weather tested as there is no way they could have let it go into production with this kind of flaw.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I heard that noise today for the first time too. We had our first really cold day in Philly and the noise went away after the car warmed up but it was a little scary the first time I heard it. It was the suspension trying to loosen up I think.

With all the little problems people are having in cold weather it almost appears Mazda forgot to do their cold weather testing before they released this car.....

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have had the same problem too. Don't know what the hell it is. It's like a bang or a rubbing thud. One thing I do know, I'm getting sick of all the damn problems with this car. Ready to trade it in! :shock:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Today was the coldest weather I have driven the car in (3*F), and the back end was banging pretty bad. It sounded like the hatch wasn't closed properly, but it was. When I go over a dip in the road, the back suspension creaks like a pirate ship. I am concerned that the suspension is so loud. Is anyone elses creaking like this too? I am embarrassed to take anyone in the car because it sounds like a jalopy between the back end and the windshield.

When I drove home in the afternoon, It wasn't as bad (maybe because it warmed up to a balmy 14*F).

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I drive in the morning, for about the first ten minutes it feels like I have something in my tires, a really consistent bump bump bump. And then it goes away. I haven't started driving it in above freezing weather yet since I've owned it, but my guess is it's just the cold.

Carraig

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
very cold here and it felt like my strut were frozen for the first couple of miles of driving, don't know if that is even possible.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I was wondering what the hell that was. Scared the crap out of me. Thought I had screwed up my car. (I had this problem too)

·
Registered
250 Posts
[quote author=dread link=topic=67938.msg1190766#msg1190766 date=1170806967]
I have come to terms with the fact, the my car is going to be noisy in the winter.
[/quote]
Bingo :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
[quote author=carraig link=topic=67938.msg1187573#msg1187573 date=1170691486]
When I drive in the morning, for about the first ten minutes it feels like I have something in my tires, a really consistent bump bump bump. And then it goes away. I haven't started driving it in above freezing weather yet since I've owned it, but my guess is it's just the cold.

Carraig
[/quote]

I'm having this exact same problem! It almost seems that when the car sits overnight the tires become deformed a bit and have some kind of flat spot. So when I start out in the morning the front end hops up and down a bit but the problem seems to go away after a few miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I test drove a MS3 GT with 150 miles on it yesterday. It was about 25*C outside. The car was cold from the lot and I made a point to go over as many speedbumps as possible. I did NOT hear anything out of the ordinary.

My old 98 passat would creak like a squeeky bed every morning in the winter.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have the same problem and this morning at 5000 miles I got my first CEL (20F outside) . Time to take it to the dealer :x :x

·
Registered
133 Posts
Folks, this is nothing to be worried about. I'm pretty sure it's either the shocks or the suspension bushings making this sound. I've had this happen in cold weather with every car I've owned in the past. Once the vehicle warms up after 15 minutes of driving or so, the sound goes away. I'm surprised this is something new to those of you who live in colder climates.

- alex

1 - 20 of 40 Posts