Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor recently acquired a used 2006 Mazda 3, with a standard trans. Let me lay out the whole story: this car had a very noisy, grindy axle. He originally thought it was the right-front wheel bearing and a neighbor pressed a new one into the hub for him, but this didn't solve the noise problem AND afterwards his ABS light was on and his cruise control wouldn't work anymore. It didn't take much to determine that this probably happened because he and the neighbor pressed the wheel bearing in backwards (the bearing contains the ABS reluctor and it's only on one side, so if it's pressed in the wrong way the sensor can't read the reluctor).

A couple of days ago he replaced the CVs, wheel hubs and bearings (two new bearings again, being mindful of the magnetic side this time), and control arms, and I believe the outer trans seal on one side. This has fixed the mechanical noise! But after the repair was done, he says "all of the lights" in his IC come on and stay on a few seconds after he starts driving: ABS, steering, engine, battery. He says sometimes when this happens the speedometer stops working.

I used a code scanner on his vehicle and pulled 3 codes - the first two for right and left front wheel speed sensor, and the third (listed under the "steering" category, at least on the app I was using) was U2023, apparently a communication failure between the instrument cluster and "some other module". I do not know if the code being listed in "steering" is a clue to which module is giving the trouble or not.

So what could be causing this issue? I could see the speed sensors throwing errors, maybe despite his efforts they still put the bearings in backwards again, or they damaged the sensors somehow - but how would any of that, or replacing CV shafts, start causing a communications fault with the instrument cluster and a speedometer which stops working mid-drive?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
My advice would be to clear all of the codes, drive it, see what comes back, and go from there. Communication codes can be set simply because the battery died.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts